Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief
    #4697328 - 09/22/05 10:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20050921/NEWS/109210036

DENVER - U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo on Wednesday called for the sale of federal land to fund Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

"The federal government may be cash-poor but it is land rich. There is demand for farm and ranch land, and the federal government should have long ago transferred its massive holdings to the private sector, where it can be put to use," the Colorado Republican said in a statement.

He introduced a bill in Congress requiring the Interior Department to sell 15 percent of the federal land it controls, excluding national parks and Indian land. The Agriculture Department also would be required to sell a portion of the land it controls.

"Environmental radicals put up regulatory roadblocks to use of our national land, often miring any sensible land use proposal in endless litigation. My bill would give environmentalists an excellent opportunity to put their money where their mouth is and buy up federal land for conservation," Tancredo said.

A vast majority of federal lands - including more than 75 percent of the national forest acres, more than 90 percent of the national park acres, and more than 99 percent of the Bureau of Land Management acres - are located in the 12 western states including Alaska.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4698092 - 09/23/05 12:49 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I don't see how flooding the real estate market could be in anyone's best interest... such a move would deflate the housing market, putting many more families in jeapordy than Katrina...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4700024 - 09/23/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

there's a big difference between putting ranch and wilderness
lands on the auction block and deflating the housing market.

1. it would be years before homes and infrastructure would
exist there, so it would not be an immediate glut.

2. purchasers would only realistically develop the land unless
there was a pre-existing demand for property.

it's not like the feds hold a huge chuck of open space in the
middle of LA, Manhattan or SF...we're talking, largely, about
remote swaths of forest and plain.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief [Re: afoaf]
    #4702459 - 09/23/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The government could sell the lands with certain CC&Rs.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4702549 - 09/23/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

How about they save money by cutting some of their Pig snout-in-the-trough pork barrel projects, eh? Bet you won't hear too much about that.  :smirk:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Congressman calls for sale of federal land to fund hurricane relief [Re: Jellric]
    #4702664 - 09/24/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That would mean that the Republicans act in line with their rhetoric. If a man were to earnestly renounce all falsehoods including any misrepresentation of his character he would be unfit for politics or most other criminal endeavors. Sadly, the political class is congenitally unable to to do this.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion