Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Seeking guidance from fitness buffs
    #4650335 - 09/12/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all,

I'm making this thread in search of guidance to start up an exercise regiment. I've rarely exercised in my life, house-league sports when I was younger, but in the hopes of boosting self-confidence and my perception of my physical self I am planning to start an exercise regiment. The problem is I have no idea what to do!

First off, a bit about me: I am a 21 year old full time university student who works part-time at a grocery store. I weigh about 180 and am around 5'11". I'm not chubby, not skinny, but not as fit as I could be.

My goals for exercising, besides the mental ones I listed already, are as follows:
-Lose my gut. I have a bit of a belly and I would like to lose that and have some nice abs and chest. I don't want to be the cover of men's health, but I would like to be lean and fit.
-Tone my thighs - my thighs are a little bigger than I'd like them to be.
-Gain upper-body strength - arms, chest, etc...

So that should give people an idea of what I want, and here is the equipment I have at my disposal. I should mention first though that I'm not really a gym person and would like to do this regiment as much as possible on my own, at home, etc.

-Treadmill
-Exercise Bike
-Ab-roller
-All-in one weight machine, which uses rubber bands. Has a bench-press, the pectoral thing where you pull your arms from the outside in, a stairmaster type thing, and another where you sit and lift your legs up straight pulling up weights.

And of course any sit-ups, pushups, etc..

So I basically have no idea where to start and how to be organized. I've read you should split the workouts up over days pending on what you want to work (ie: legs one day, arms the next, pecs the next, etc.) But again, my main goal is to get fit, not get huge.

Would any of you kind folks here at the shroomery be able to give me some guidance? Something along the lines of a schedule I can keep to, (ie: 20 situps a day, monday x reps of this, tuesday x reps, etc....)

Like I said, and I'm sure you've noticed if you've read all of this, I'm a little lost in the area!

Thank you kindly!!

E.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineart
Stranger
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: Euphoria]
    #4651566 - 09/12/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sorry, i am no expert, but here is my advice.

Focus on cardio. I wouldn't worry about numbers that much, like 20 pushups. Just start running everyday. Get up in the moring and go for a nice run. MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH! i see way to many people not stretching, and this can be very bad. Really stretch out your calfs as not to get shin splintz (sp). Make sure you have good shoes, bad shoes can really hurt yourself. Stretch before and after running, start out slow and end slow. Start drinking a lot of water, and eating healthy. I am not sure how well you eat, but cut out all junk food/ fast food.

Sorry i can't really help you with muscle strengthing, I would have to see the machine. Just make sure you stretch, and make sure after every set you are stretching out the correct muscle.
Try doing 15 reps with 3 sets, stretching out that muscle for 30 seconds after each set.
Just make sure not to overdue it

Again, i am no expert so if you have the money getting a couple lessons with a trainer would be good. Your health is not something to gamble with.
Good luck.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4652019 - 09/12/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Check out the workout-database at Bodybuilding.com:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm
Plenty of programs there, and you can also choose from a list of programs/regimens that are customized according to specific criteria which you choose.

Also take a look at their excercise-database:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

And, of course, it wouldn't hurt to join the forums and ask some questions there:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Be sure to check out their nutrition guides and supplements-advice. They're also the best place [as far as I've seen] for the lowest prices on ALL the big-name brands. Compare the prices from your GNC store to the prices of the same products/brands on that site, and I'm sure you'll see it's a smarter place to buy from.
I would recommend taking a look at their top 50 list, which is a list of the best selling products:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/top50.htm

Ten Commandments of Bodybuilding

Typically, you will want to "bulk up" [the fun part], which consists of gaining weight and lifting heavy-ass weights w/ no cardio. After a few months or so of bulking up, then comes the "cutting" stage.
This is where you do add alot more cardio to your work-outs, so as to shed the fat that you've just gained. Usually, people tend to bulk up in fall/winter and then cut/shed in spring/summer so they can show off all the hard work they've put in.

Here's a good article on  Bulking.

And feel free to check out the "Become the strongest pound for pound person around" thread in the Pub as well. :smile:

Good luck!

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4652107 - 09/12/05 08:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

can you eat moderately poorly and still lose a gut if you're physically active?

I'm probably going to start rock climbing after noticing how buff it made me feel after just one session.... but even though I seem to be losing weight, my ass, thighs, and gut are fat as hell... and not showing signs of recession....

i don't have TOO much fried food and stuff like that... but I'm not a healthy eater, either.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: leery11]
    #4652144 - 09/12/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

even though I seem to be losing weight, my ass, thighs, and gut are fat as hell... and not showing signs of recession....

Yup, in sitations like that, the problem is usually a 100% diet. Plain and simple.

Eat more often, in the course of a day. In other words, don't cram all of your meals into 2 or 3 big ones. Spread them out, with breakfast being the largest - otherwise you'll be playing catch-up all day.
An ideal breakfast will be a combination of carbohydrates and protein. An example would be:

(740kcals carbs; protein)
Oats 100g
Skimmed milk 500ml
2 Slices of wholemeal toast
4 scrambled egg whites
Fruit juice 250ml
Creatine and Whey protien [Protien is very important.. Creatine isn't a sine qua non to your meals, but it certainly helps.]

If all else fails - fruit. Fruit is your best friend.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4652176 - 09/12/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hmmmm..... i usually get "fast food" because i don't have any money but have a meal plan. they have fruit and stuff but it's of a questionable nature..... i usually get something like greasty as shit eggs with bacon/sausage and hash browns, or a breakfast burrito for breakfast.

then hopefully a sub sandwich, wheat, low dressing for lunch... and just whatever the fuck they have for dinner, usually mashed potatoes and something like fish, chicken fried steak, whatever... and one or two carbonated beverages and a dessert with it.

--------------------

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......

Offlineswiftrance
Let there be light

#4652320 - 09/12/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

run everyday at the same time. it takes over 17times for it to become a habit. It'll be a struggle at first, trust me i know. But usually after the 2week mark things will get alot easier and you'll start to notice the difference.

im 5'11 170. Ive been a runner for 9years, i run div1 track/xc in college, and i can truly say running is THE best physical activity for losing weight (besides sex of course ;p)

Start out by buying a timex watch and a decent pair of running shoes ($60-range). Pick a route thats not that busy, cars are annoying.
Shoot for running 20min a day your first week (if thats too much, just go mon-wed-fri, but you definitly want to do 5days-week). Then if you feel comfortable up it to 30 the next week.. and so on (never up your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week or else risk of injury spikes). and SCRAP THE TREADMIL! get outside!

Stay under 50-60min (i know that seems like alot, but once you get into it it gets ADDICTIVE!) a run and stay at a pace you could hold a conversation with. Thats the best pace for burning fat -140/160bpm heartrate- once your body goes anerobic, your burning sugars and carbs, not fat cells. Key thing to remember is to STRETCH!!! hamstrings, quads, calves are essential, also do some arm circles to help losen up your shoulders a bit. and STAY HYDRATED... very important. run in the morning or afternoon when its cooler.

i think you have all the muscle you need, so i'd stick to pushups and situps if i were you. start building a rhythm, like body circuit you do right after your run. thats how i got started in it. my body circuit is like this:

30 crunches
20 pushups
30 bicycle crunches(like rocky does)
20 supermans (on stomachk, you raise your arms and legs like flying :laugh:
30 straight leg lifts (this is tuff! butll give u an 8pack)

then get up and do 15xEach leg lunges.

you can do this just once until u get fitter then 2 or even 3 sets.
i think i rambled a bit too much but it has been my life since 6th grade. take what u need from this and use it. pick a routine and STICK TO IT!

I have faith in you :laugh:
get a running buddy and those lb's will dissappear before u know it

--------------------

Edited by swiftrance (09/12/05 09:11 PM)

OfflineEuphoria

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: swiftrance]
    #4653368 - 09/12/05 11:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Guys, thank you so much for replying in this, you've really given me some guidance and have confirmed my suspicions. I think I will start by boosting my cardio, running, jogging etc, with some situps and other light exercise. After doing that for a while and satisfying my main goal, I can focus on muscle training!

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4654682 - 09/13/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Running is not for everyone. I used to be a runner but would have to run every other day to keep from getting shin splints. It is not a good idea to run everyday, you should give your body a chance to rest and rebuild the tissues that have been stressed. I changed to an aerobic regime which would alternate between running, a rowing machine, jumping rope and hitting a heavy bag. This allowed the muscles used to recuperate, but still allowed me to work on my aerobic capacity and kept me from getting bored. I stopped running altogether after I broke my ankle while running on a trail by a creek (stepped on a rock, my body stayed upright while the sole of my foot went pointing up to my groin - snap went my ankle) since then my knee of that leg gets pain when I run. I also know lots of people who used to run all the time when they were younger who have worn out knee joints and can't do shit now (I'm 44 and they're about the same age).

My advice when starting out ANY exercise regime is to not do it all at once, too much pain will discourage you from continuing and you will also be prone to injuring yourself. Start out gradually, let your body have a chance to adjust to the new stress. As you get in shape you will be able to handle increased stresses easier - you'll be able to 'ramp up.'

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4654719 - 09/13/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The Hippo guy has some good advice.

Aerboic exercise is good for you, but you don't want to wear out or fuck up your body. I know plenty of people who were in marvelous shape in their teens because they trained hard for a sport. Now they have arthritis because they wore their bodies out. Keep in mind these people are not in their 40's....they are in their 20's. Don't start running. It is great for short term health but bad for long term health.

I suggest bicycling and hiking for leg toning, weight loss, and cardiovascular health. If you are sore then rest for a day. Don't overdue anything, but don't be lazy either.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4654741 - 09/13/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Swimming is also an excellent exercise, low stress on the joints and it offers resistance that is not overwhelming - it's used (or water based exercise) quite a bit in physical therapy because of this.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4654830 - 09/13/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I dunno if this helps, but here's my weekly workout

Sets= 4 Reps=10 for all
Day 1 Arms
Exercise
Barbell curls
Dumbbell curls
dumbbell wrist curls
Lying triceps extensions
Day2 Legs
Squats
Lunges
Leg Presses
Day 3 Chest and back
Flat bench presses
Incline dumbbell presses
Dumbell pullovers
Dumbbell flys
Deadlifts
Barbell rows
Day 4 Shoulders
Barbell presses
Dumbell presses
Side lateral Raises
abs every day 4-6 ex. to faile

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Offlineart
Stranger
Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4656855 - 09/13/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, be careful not to push yourself to hard. Stretch all of the right muscles, eat well, and wear the appropriate clothing and you should be fine. You are going to want to buy a new pair of shoes if yours are old.

You should go to some fitness websites/boards. I am sure you can get a lot of great advice there.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: art]
    #4657335 - 09/13/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Bodybuilding.com definitely has an abundance of vital information when it comes to staying fit. Eat good meals round the clock and don't fuck around, eat properly and your body will become proper. Don't even deprive yourself of food because your body will learn to handle food poorly, and can even lead to weight gain!

Stay hydrated, sleep well, eat well, excersize properly (including FORM, WARMING UP, PRE/POST NUTRITION!!!) and most importantly feel good!! It's all about feeling good and building a stronger, healthier body and mind. You really just have to use your brain... it all starts snapping into place after a few weeks of researching and hands on. Once you get to know your body, it's all down hill from there!

A couple more tips would be to consider throwing your scale out, researching everything you can, and not worrying about others in the gym. I see so many dumbasses doing millions of curls, swinging their arms from side to side, totally overstretching cold muscles, and thinking they're hot shit when they use 40lb dumbbells for 1 set of incline pec flies, followed by 5 minutes of admiring their shitty muscles in the mirror. Oh man. Don't be one of these dudes.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineEuphoria

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: browndustin]
    #4657345 - 09/13/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Those dudes are the reason I don't like gyms :smile:  I'm going to keep up a steady regiment of jogging/running for the time being, see how I like it but it already feels good knowing I'm working to improve myself!

I'm going to check out bodybuilding.com in the coming days, thanks again all!

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4661247 - 09/14/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have been a big fan of weight lifting for quite some time now. I would really like to see you get a gym membership and begin a weight training program. You shouldn't give two shits about what anyone else in the gym thinks of you. I first stepped into a gym at 6'1" tall weighing a frail 130lbs! I worked my ass off and I made huge changes to my body.

Running is definitely healthy, but I think you would be much more pleased with the results you would achieve with a good weight training program. I have never met anyone who was very muscular from running long distances. They are healthy, sure, but you said your main goal was to improve your self confidence. Sprinting would probably be a better option for you if you are set on staying out of the gym. Running constantly can really put your body through hell though. Be warned.

Don't avoid the gyms just because you are worried what others will think. Everyone had to start from somewhere.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Seeking guidance from fitness buffs [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4668333 - 09/16/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

what can you do if your shoulders are fucked up? I'm in yoga and tai chi but damn.... today my shoulders are just kind of messed up, i try to do these stretching exercises and each time i do my left shoulder pops as i swing my arms up and down.... and my tai chi instructor confirmed that my left shoulder is much more tense than the right just by simply touching it briefly (and i didn't tell him that my shoulders were bad really, i just asked him about excess energy coming into my left hand)

.... is marijuana use good/bad for muscles? I know people with arthritis use it... sometimes.

--------------------

Offlinehenry21
Stranger
    #4668679 - 09/16/05 04:22 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wat else can I say? There are already so many people with so many ideas for you. I'm myself not a fitness expert but can advise you to search for information on the net. But 1-2 people have already mentioned a number of sites that you may follow. Do go through them. All the best!

--------------------
Try diflucan
for fungal infections

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4673214 - 09/17/05 07:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well for the last 6months ive been back into pretty hardcore working out again. when i was younger i was in awesome shape. got lazy for a few years and looked awful, didnt even realize how bad until i saw some pics...yikes! im slowly regaing my high school shape. ive gained about 20 lbs of mass so far. which is acceptable. right now im 6' 5" 228lbs which is even a big change since june,when i was only around 215lbs. so i think i know what im doing. here is a good schedule. this is just something to start out with

all these exercises 3 sets of 12 (you dont have to get 10 on the second 2 sets just close)

day1 (shoulders and traps) :

barbell shoulder press
dumbell shoulder press
front lateral raises
side later raises
barbell shrugs
dumbell shrugs

day 2 (back and triceps):

straight bar cable pull downs
close grip cable pull downs
dumbell rows
tricep skullies
one hand dumbell tricep extensions
cable pulldowns
dumbell kick backs

day 3 (legs and calves) :

squats
leg press
stiff leg deadlifts
standing calf raises

day 4 (chest and biceps) :

barbell bench press
dumbell incline press
decline barbell bench press
dips (weighted dips if need be)
dumbell curls
barbell curls
reverse curls (using french curl bar)
hammer curls

ive been skipping day 5 a lot...im really not fat, im about to get really hardcore into abs though, id like a full 6pack eventually.
day 5 (cardio and abs):

60mins at moderate setting on bike
100 crunches
100 leg raises

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates