Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Just got back from morning workout
    #3657551 - 01/21/05 09:25 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

And I feel pretty damn good!

For those who didn't read, a while ago I posted a thread about wanting to get back into shape and lose some serious weight (I've got around 40 lbs to lose, "ideally").  I've decided to go with what I used to love- bicycling.  When I was 16 I used to take 45 mile day trips with my dad and friends, but once I hit college I became completely sedentary.  I suppose studying Bong 101 will do that to ya. :smirk:  In any case, the Freshmen 15 became the Sophomore 20, Junior 30, and Senior 40.  It's now my last semester, and I'll most likely be around here for the summer (at least),and it's beyond beautiful here (upstate NY).

I've deecided to reduce my caloric intake from easily 2500-3000+ to 1200-1500.  I used to skip meals, not eating until I got back from class (dinner time usually).  Now, I eat three square meals a day, taking lunch with me to campus.  I also eat a small snack (40-75 calories, like a carrot or rice cake) between meals, to ward off hunder and keep my metabolism up.

Workout sessions have been 7am-ish every morning, when the fitness center opens, every day (so far, it's only been since Sunday.)  Instead of weights, I've opted to stationary cycle or horizontal cycle on HIGH resistance for 45 minutes, getting my heart rate well into the optimal range for a good amount of time.  Afterwards I've been doing both sit-ups and push-ups.  Not many, but like I said, I'm starting from scratch.  I have to say, after sitting on my ass for so long, I remember why I used to love riding- the adrenaline pump of rigorous activity is enough to stay with me for a few hours, and gets me going for the rest of the day.

I'm aiming to lose 2 pounds per week, which may or may not be realistic, but even if I lose 1 pound per week, I can take off 10 by spring break and 15 by my birthday.  And if I lose 2/week, I'll be doing REALLY well.

So far the only difficult part (aside from waking up at 6am after sleeping in 'til around noon for three years) is being a little hungry during the day, but it's nothing I can't control.  Every so often I have the impulse to hit up a vending machine or snag some snack food lying around the house, but it's amazing how quickly my mind corrects itself.  Then again, I'm pretty committed to this working.

I know this is getting long, and most people probably won't read it, but that's okay.  Writing this down is more for myself as a way to keep track of my progress.  I weighed myself on Monday, and I was just about exactly 200 lbs.  From now on, I'm going to weigh myself bi-weekly, because I don't think it's a good habit to become obsessed with numbers.  I have a feeling if I keep this up and increase the workout resistance, and possibly add some exercises as I shape up, my health will reveal itself practically, as opposed to statistically.

That's enough for now.  I'd love any feedback, if anyone has read this far.  Time to face the day!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #3657569 - 01/21/05 09:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Some advice for weight loss. Firstly, do not restrict your diet below 1500 calories a day ever, ideally you should still eat 2k a day. If you want a simple easy diet to follow, eat 3 or 4 chicken breasts a day, and lots of fruit. Also make sure chicken breasts have no skin. Even with eating 4 chicken breasts, and 5-6 pieces of fruit (assuming they arent bananas) you will only be eating roughly 1500 calories, and be getting roughly 150g of protein. Also, make sure once a week you spike your caloric intake to fool your body into thinking you are in fact not dieting. This worked for me, I lost 56 pounds in 3 months.

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #3657577 - 01/21/05 09:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

GR8 stuff man :smile: I'm a bit of a health and fitness buff myself and have been for a long time. I guess the only advice i could give you would be to spread those 1200-1500 calories out into @ 5 or 6 small meals a day as that will serve to stabilize your blood sugar levels and you will be much less likely to maintain some of those calories as fat. You will also seldom(if ever) be hungry. Starving one's self needlessly merely throws the body into a catabolic ST8 where the body's metabolism slows down to a crawl :frown:

Also try and avoid high glycemic index carbs such as potatoes, white rice, white bread/buns etc, sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, keep it up :wink:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3657861 - 01/21/05 11:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Black- 56 pounds in 3 months?  That's over 4.5 lbs per week- definately not healthy.  Anything over 2/wk is muscle/organ deterioration.  But if your program worked for you, great!

FreakQ- I've been avoiding white bread, instead having whole wheat (with eggs, or in sandwhiches).  The only real "white bread" calories I've had are hamburger buns, but I figure that's alright if I only have it once or twice a week with 95% lean meat.  :wink:
And I'd like to spread out the calories more, but considering I'm on campus from 7am to 6:30pm, that becomes difficult.  I usually take lunch in a bag, and two 75-ish calorie snacks to have before lunch and before dinner, while I'm still in classes.  Kinda sucks, I'm a second semester senior taking 18 credits M-F.  But I'll graduate on time, so that's what counts.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3657870 - 01/21/05 11:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It seems like you have a good idea what you have to do and are doing it, but if I could give one tip, it would be increase your caloric intake to 2000. You will still lose 1 lb a week, but your body won't think its starving as much... then when your metabolism starts to slow down, you can drop it to 1800, and ride that for a while, before you need to lower it again....etc.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #3658074 - 01/21/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Drink_Punk_Soda said:
Black- 56 pounds in 3 months?  That's over 4.5 lbs per week- definately not healthy.  Anything over 2/wk is muscle/organ deterioration.  But if your program worked for you, great!

FreakQ- I've been avoiding white bread, instead having whole wheat (with eggs, or in sandwhiches).  The only real "white bread" calories I've had are hamburger buns, but I figure that's alright if I only have it once or twice a week with 95% lean meat.  :wink:
And I'd like to spread out the calories more, but considering I'm on campus from 7am to 6:30pm, that becomes difficult.  I usually take lunch in a bag, and two 75-ish calorie snacks to have before lunch and before dinner, while I'm still in classes.  Kinda sucks, I'm a second semester senior taking 18 credits M-F.  But I'll graduate on time, so that's what counts.

Well, I don't think it was too unhealthy, I actually gained about 8 pounds of muscle in the process. Keep in mind Im 6'6, with a huge frame, and weighed about 296 pounds.

--------------------

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3659070 - 01/21/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I actually gained about 8 pounds of muscle in the process. Keep in mind Im 6'6, with a huge frame, and weighed about 296 pounds

Ah, that makes a bit of difference then!  :wink:

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3662268 - 01/22/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Remember This
Intensity > Duration
Also combine weight training with your cardio, on alternating schedules.
:jester:

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: fresh313]
    #3663015 - 01/22/05 04:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I must respectfully disagree man, when it comes to cardio duration pownz> intensity, it's also know as the LSD method. Get your mind(s) out of the gutter,:grin: in this case LSD=long slow distance :yesnod:

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3667267 - 01/23/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

do some research, dont just spit out some jackasses exercise method

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Just got back from morning workout [Re: fresh313]
    #3667327 - 01/23/05 12:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Meh  :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being