Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network.
    #4621986 - 09/05/05 09:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I live about 10 miles from the nearest DSL line. How hard / expensive would it be to set up a focused beam 802.11b connection from there?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4622203 - 09/05/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

5,000 - 10,000 US Dollars? Only a guess but I bet its close.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: Fungi_x]
    #4622449 - 09/05/05 12:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Edited by drtyfrnk (09/05/05 12:44 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4622683 - 09/05/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I was thinking about using cantennas. Trouble is, we got all these damn trees in the way.

I would need to build a 100' tower every 3 miles or so. I doubt that would be cheap.

I might could get away with just 2 towers if I used lasers to transmit the signals.

Or I could route the signals around the trees through cowfeilds. That would multiply the number of repeater points by about 3-5.

Hey, maybe I could use cable just through the wooded areas.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4622724 - 09/05/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If this is for the sake of getting a faster Internet connection, there are probably other ways that'd be easier, cheaper, and more stable than trying to personally rig up such a long distance connection. We live a few miles from broadband as well, can't get them to run it here because of FCC regulations or whatever, so my dad's looked into pretty much every possible method there is in trying to get it. Depending on where you are, mostly if you're nearish a metro area, you might be able to find one or more large (covering several cities) wireless broadband ISPs. I know they're out there, but not having looked into them myself I can't give any more detail than that.

There's also the satellite Internet option if you're not worried about a fraction of a second of latency in the connection, meaning fast-paced gaming and voice would be awkward. There are several companies that offer that, Wild Blue being a new one that's supposed to be pretty good.

You might be able to get a wireless 802.11b that far if you've got good line-of-sight and everything. I think the record is over 10x that, but I'd be wary of using such a method as a primary connection and expecting it to actually be reliable. The frequencies that works at tend to get absorbed / blocked by water, so I'm pretty sure that if you did get something like that working that whenever it rained you'd be out of luck.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: GulGen]
    #4623564 - 09/05/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

get satellite internet connection

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: tak]
    #4623679 - 09/05/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If you can get a laser signal across.....WiFi probably work. Use laser pointers to calibrate cantennas(probably wanna do this at night), and you'll probably be able to achieve 20+ miles of connectivity. Just make sure you have them secured, a storm blowing them slightly off kilter would render your connection useless.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: BoringNickName]
    #4624637 - 09/06/05 04:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know the cost, but a microwave bridge would certainly span that distance.

http://www.pulsewan.com/wireless/wireless_bridges_pp_menu.htm

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineouterwave
shuffler ofmortal coils...
Male

Loc: on breaking ice...
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #5356274 - 03/02/06 03:26 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

sure, lasers would work, focus microwave beams would work, hell you COULD make a modem work over shortwave radio, albiet at 300 baud. this is all great if you have a trustfund and are bored with the next month of your life.

hell, it would be cheaper to dig a trench and run a cable the whole way.

so, while DSL is SUPPOSED to run over existing twisted pair wires (ie, yer telephone), it is limited by the physical distance from the DSL switchs... 1500 feet _was_ the limit a few years ago.

cable modems can run cables that length, with boosters.
i think someone mentioned it, but a private data satillite can be had for under $100 i think. i remember looking into it since i wanted highspeed at the family campground in the woods... service is $60-$90 a month last time i checked, but that again was a while ago and in wisconsin (were i do not live).

alternately, radiowaves go far and easily, so if you have a cellphone that works at your house, consider one of those celluar data networks, uses the digital side of the celluar network for data, since that is how the modern celly works. you get (i think) 15-30 k/s and it will work anywere a phone does in the country. not superfast, but way better than dialup. and its like $40 monthly.

--------------------
take care,

outerwave

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I want to build a long distance (15+ Mi.) wireless network. [Re: outerwave]
    #5356412 - 03/02/06 05:47 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think ima just convert this $3 combination FM radio/laser pointer i bought at Wally World.

Actually, DSL is supposed to be coming here in a few months.

I still want to rig up a ghetto wireless digital transmitter/reciever tho.

--------------------

Offlineouterwave
shuffler ofmortal coils...
Male

Loc: on breaking ice...
    #5360177 - 03/03/06 12:08 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

DO IT. you know, that is how the majority of police officers look up your shit in the patrol car. basically a telnet client on a modem which is hooked up to a walkietalkie/radio transceiver. slow like i said, but diong just text like old dialup BBS's works. which can give you a range of 20 miles without too much trouble.

--------------------
take care,

outerwave

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5360681 - 03/03/06 05:19 AM (18 years, 30 days ago)

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=301

Introduction: Why I Need a Tower

Have you ever faced a real challenge whose only solution most people would consider too crazy or difficult? In this article you will learn about one of the most challenging personal projects I?ve done, and it was all in the name of Internet access. The goal was simple: throw away 56k and upgrade to high-speed internet. Sound easy? Think again.

I live in a small town with a population under 2,000. I was stuck with a 56k modem for nine years because no other option is available in my town. However, I learned of a new service provider that could allow me to get between 250 and 320 k/s. It sounded great!

Well, the situation was more complicated. The provider informed me they put a transmitting tower in my town approximately one kilometre from my house, but there could be absolutely no interference between the transmitting tower and my house. Herein lay the problem: there was a very large church less than 30 meters from my house, and so the signal had no way to reach me. I should have forgotten about it at that point, but I?m not that kind of person. Not after 9 years of waiting, and not when everyone around me, just far enough away from the church, would have it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom