Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Wireless networking between a desktop & laptop
    #2485111 - 03/30/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So I'm getting a new laptop with a Bluetooth chip in it, and I want to be able to connect it to the internet without plugging in the phone line (dial-up, yeah... I know). The "main" computer is a desktop without any networking devices except for an ethernet card (and some USB ports which can come in handy). What do I need to network the two? Speed isn't too important, since I'm going with a dial-up connection, but I'd like to be able to access the internet.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefatfunguy

Loc: Pennsylvania, US
Re: Wireless networking between a desktop & laptop [Re: Twirling]
    #2529276 - 04/05/04 10:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Are you getting a wireless network card also? You might want one in case you decide to go high speed in the near future, laptops are not as easily upgraded. Bluetooth will only give your peripherals wireless connectivity. It is a much shorter range signal not for internet.

One option maybe connecting your laptop to your pc through ethernet ports. You would have to configure internet connection sharing on your desktop to give your laptop an ip address. Other than that you could switch back and forth between connecting your machines to the phone jack, or break down and get high speed.

Here's some other info about a dial up wireless connection if you got or would be willing to buy two wireless ethernet cards.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/wirelessandmobiletips/story/0,24330,3404479,00.html

Good luck!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Wireless networking between a desktop & laptop [Re: fatfunguy]
    #2535199 - 04/07/04 03:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, I think I'll wait until I get high speed internet and just use a wireless router. Seems much simpler and high-tech. I tried a wired ethernet connection with no luck. It seems like home networking can be a pain in the ass.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Wireless networking between a desktop & laptop [Re: Twirling]
    #2536353 - 04/07/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i agree...would be easiest to use high speed and a router.
I believe you CAN do wireless internet over bluetooth, but i havent really looked into it much. also, you would need to set up internet connection sharing on the desktop. Like i said...to much a pain in the ass for dialup.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Wireless networking between a desktop & laptop [Re: mycoguy]
    #2537095 - 04/07/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

From what I've seen, Blue Tooth can do wireless internet from "Hot Spots", but it's not as fast. Either way, it would cost just as much to do a normal wireless connection.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology