Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerajisus228
Loc: Jerzee
i got fuzz! but help wth CO2
    #460574 - 11/16/01 03:02 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

hey i'm using pf tek. i finally got fuzz after innoculating 6 days ago. i got fuzz at 3 of the 4 innoculation points. i was told to loosen the lid a big so too much CO2 doesn't build up. should i wait a little more? or should i loosen it? or should i keep it tight the whole time? also, the jar is covered by a flannel light material to block excess light and keep it warm. any help wil be greatly appreciated. thanks.
peace,
raj

ps - ofcousre this is all hypothetical.

--------------------
* of course, this is all jus hypothetical :smile: *

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMazamaze
Stranger
Loc: Uhhh...that's a secret. I...
Re: i got fuzz! but help wth CO2 [Re: rajisus228]
    #460579 - 11/16/01 03:06 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry too much about CO2 buildup; it really doesn't affect anything until yor jars are like 80-90% colonized.
(this is just my 2 cents tho;)......I wait until jars are nearly completely colonized and then I flip them upside down to let the Co2 (heavier than O2) sink to the bottom (really the top) of the jar. This had helped a lot of stubborn, 8-week-old jars get a good kick in the ass and finally fully colonize!
It works for me, so I.m happy with it, see if it helps you
MAZAMAZE

Offlinerajisus228
Re: i got fuzz! but help wth CO2 [Re: Mazamaze]
    #460631 - 11/16/01 04:04 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

hmm...thanks for the help. however although i am a beginner, i think that 8 weeks is a LONG time to fully colonize. and i know that too much CO2 can slow down or sto pthe growth of mycelium. so, maybe you should try somethin else? hehe even though i'm the one who's askin for help. take it easy. peace. anyone else with ideas?

ofcourse this is all hypothetical.

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #460662 - 11/16/01 04:29 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Dude,you're right on schedule.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #460684 - 11/16/01 04:55 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

nah. if its your first attemt its prolly slow due to a too wet or too dry substrate and temps wont change that too much and neither will CO2 or O2 levels. just wait it out and if it halts for a few days and it looks dry try injecting some water in there from an empty syringe. but dont try that unless the myc halts for about a week cos you def dont want it too wet.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #460704 - 11/16/01 05:22 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

>and i know that too much CO2 can slow down or sto pthe growth of mycelium

That?s not correct. High CO2 levels are beneficial to mycelium growth, but not during the pin formation and the fruiting stage.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: i got fuzz! but help wth CO2 [Re: Anno]
    #460713 - 11/16/01 05:42 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Anno- so what would be the benefit of leaving holes uncovered for air exchange or flipping them over at all? or even the MM filter disks? others claim that myc needs some amount of O2 and i know decrease in CO2 promotes primordia but isnt at least some O2 exchange in order when colonizing?

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Offlinerajisus228
Re: i got fuzz! but help wth CO2 [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #460730 - 11/16/01 06:17 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

puscle..thanks...i'm not worried about mah substrate being too wet or too dry, i think having 3 of 4 innoc. points fuzzing in less than a week is pretty problem-free. maybe i'm wrong i duno. i followed the pf tek exactly, using 60 cc's of water and it came out jus right. not wet, but jus above dry, a lil mushy. i'm surprised so many people have so many different views on the CO2. i was informed by blushroom that if you loosen the lid a little bit after innoculation, it will speed up colonization, because of O2 or whatever exchange. HOWEVER, if you loosen the lid, the earlier you do it, although it will speed up colonization, it makes the substrate more vulnerable to contam. i'm glad so many people have different input to this topic. so basically, you have to find a balance between when you wana loosen the lid, so that theres not too much chance of contam cuz of a top verm layer and a lot of mycelium (maybe 40 - 80%) and also jus...well not too quick, but not too late, cuz then it'll slow it down cuz too much CO2 buildup. i believe that CO2 may be beneficial, but i also believe that air exchange can speed up the process. any other thoughts? this is mah first time growin, when i first saw the fuzz, i almost wet mah pants i was so excited hehe. also, any thoughts on after birthing the cake, as far as putting it in a chamber or leaving it out on a lid/plate and how much light is needed and if a lightbulb for a few hours is enough? ok, have a good day guys.

ofcourse this is all hypothetical.

--------------------

Offlinerajisus228
    #460757 - 11/16/01 06:45 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

also, i wana innoculate another jar, using the same needle that has more spore solution left. should i heat the needle with a lighter or alcohol based lighter to sterilize it? do i need to sterilize it? it's had the camp over it ever since i last innoculated. also, if i DO need to heat it, for how long? then i kno i have to wait for it to cool down or else i'll kill the spores right? kay thanks people. peace.

ofcourse this is all jus hypothetical.

--------------------

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
    #460777 - 11/16/01 07:00 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You should always flame sterilize the needle before and after each use (dude resterilizes every three or four jars). Use an alcohol lamp, lighter or butane lighter, wait until the tip of the needle is burning red and move it along until you get within a quarter of an inch of the plastic part(This will melt if you get too close). Then go backwards to the tip. Just squirt a tiny amount of solution out; you will hear a sizzling sound and this is enough to cool the tip down.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures