Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Hypnotherapy
    #4587376 - 08/27/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone done this? I used to think hypnosis was abunch of bullshit but after talking with some people and reading up on it, it seems pretty logical. I am trying to overcome my anxiety and depression and I got these "self hypnotherapy tapes". My problem is its very hard for me to go into trance as I am a very unrelaxed person. As a matter of fact Its hard for me to be relaxed anywhere. If I try to sit still and relax I start to feel extremely uncomfortable as I start itching and become squirmy. It sucks I don't know what to do to become relaxed. Ive only experience the trance feeling for like a couple of seconds and then I get knocked out of it from some distraction. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: DarkFluFFy]
    #4587394 - 08/27/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think my aunt tried hypnotherapy for quitting smoking, which it was advertised for.

Didn't work.

OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4587489 - 08/27/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well what hypnosis really is, is the relaxation of the conscious mind so the subconscious mind can be directed more easily. I'm guessing your aunt had a negative view about the therapy or didn't take it seriously. Its very simple, I'm just having problems with relaxing.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4587548 - 08/27/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Play them while you are sleeping. Your subconscious will hear them and that's what you want to hear them anyway. Getting your waking conscious out of the way is the goal. What better way to achieve it then by being asleep. It'll still work.

Your subconscious is listening. Thats why we jump awake to loud thunder or a falling closet shelf in the middle of the night. It hears while you are asleep.

If you feel you must have to play them when awake for some reason "?" Do something relaxing first like take a long hot shower, walk through the woods or feed ducks by a pond. Get yourself into a lull zone with a passive activity.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4595527 - 08/29/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

maybe try meditating and just continue to practice and practice relaxing and getting into the state you want to be in. its difficult to get into such a relaxed state. try out that sleeping suggestion also as sleeping really is the subconscious state and it seems logical to me as long as the subconscious mind comprehends it.

also the reason why it doesn't work for some people when they get it done by someone else is that some people in the hypnosis profession aren't as good at what they do. also, it could be the person.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: Locus]
    #4596185 - 08/29/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

try and see if you can find some free meditation classes or seminars to attend, or yoga or tai chi or something of the sorts.

this will teach you how to relax and you can then apply that to self-hypnosis if you wish.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #4598696 - 08/30/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:hypnotoad:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4673301 - 09/17/05 08:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

www.natboard.com

Just saw this. I've been practicing hypnotherapy since 1989. It works very well for many things, but I usually turn down smokers (unless they reduce their cigarette intake by 50% first, then call me back. They never call).

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineart
Stranger
Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4674168 - 09/17/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Have you ever seen Penn and Tellers Bullshit? They have an episode on hypnosis, and they claim it is bullshit. You should watch it.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: art]
    #4674313 - 09/17/05 02:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

it's real. some people can do it and some people can't

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4675844 - 09/17/05 10:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Regardless of their talents as stage magicians and entertainers, they are not clinicians and they have neither uncovered repressed experiences of individuals nor have they eliminated phobias, decades of stuttering or nightmares, or some of the forms of psychological pain that I have, even in part-time practice.

The skillful use of a selective state of consciousness that minimizes sensory input and maximizes intrapsychic data is outside the purview of these men. There are dozens upon dozens of theoretical models for hypnosis, and different models can be utilized with good results (just as Chinese medicine which successfully utilizes Chi meridian lines and points for acupuncture can cure disorders when western allopathic medicine doesn't even recognize the reality of meridians). I'm a doctor with 16 years of experience in hypnotherapy. You can listen to entertainers if you want to. Perhaps you should consult Brittany Spears for parenting advice.

--------------------

Offlineart
Stranger
    #4679692 - 09/18/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

have you watched the episode? If not, i suggest you do it.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4680836 - 09/19/05 02:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

art said:
Have you ever seen Penn and Tellers Bullshit?  They have an episode on hypnosis, and they claim it is bullshit.  You should watch it.

:thumbup:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4685938 - 09/20/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If I happened upon it I would watch it, but sorry to clue you in: when Drs. James Braid and James Esdaile did their ground-breaking research, and documented as many as 300 limb amputations - painlessly - without the use of anaesthetics;

when victims of 3rd degree burns can be hypnotised within a few hours of their burns, swelling of tissues can be stopped, allowing for immediate skin grafting;

when 3% of the population can demonstrate mind-over-matter by developing a water blister the day after they are touched by a pencil eraser (but told that it is red hot metal, while they have been given 'glove anaesthesia');

when a hypnotised subject of average physical abilities can develop such bodily rigidity that their head and ankles can be placed on the back edges of two chairs, and their rigid bodies can remain suspended without sagging or obvious muscular strain,

then the accesibility of subconscious controls over conscious mind and involuntary bodily processes has been amply demonstrated. Evidence of trance inductions goes back in history to various cultures, and today it is a simple procedure. Then, of course, I have my own successful clinical experiences over the past 16 years. NOTE: the key word here is "experiences," NOT belief in the deceit of stage magicians (what else do stage magicians specialize in but trickery and deceit?) My only problem is trying to reason with someone who believes in the words of entertainers coming from their television over a personal response from a professional with real experience in the matter. I suggest you go learn something for a change instead of being gullible.

--------------------

Offlineart
Stranger
    #4686658 - 09/20/05 03:56 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i never said i believed it, i never said anything about hypnotherapy except that there was an episode on it.

being gullible would be believing someone who claims to be a "professional."

I do not believe in hypnotherapy. Not because of a tv show but because i have a stutter, i have depression/ anxiety and of all the doctors i have seen, none have suggested hypnotherapy. Of all of the people i have talked, none have ever gone to a hypnotherapist. I am not saying that means hypnotherapy is fake; i am just saying because i have no expierence with it i have no reason to believe in it.

Just out of curioiustiy; can you make people do things like you see in movies?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4687106 - 09/20/05 06:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I once had a complaint from a speech pathologist because in my website I claimed 'cessation of stuttering' and he claimed that his literature did not support it. I changed the wording to "...treatment of..." simply to avoid further hassles. HOWEVER...I have had a wonderful remission of stuttering in one memorable client - I'd say as much as 80% - and he was perfectly fluid during and immediately after the session. He once walked out to my drivewy, arms raised, yelling at the sky "I can talk!" More recently, I had a beautiful young opera singer with a stutter who phoned after the first session to report a reduction (in her words) of "70%." I saw her twice and she never returned. If you want a clue to the cause of stuttering that I learned from my first teacher, and which has proven itself through a hypnoanalysis of my clients, you'll have to PM me because a public forum is not the place for clinical info.

And for the record, hypnotists don't 'make' anyone do anything against their will or against their morals. I access and isolate the subconscious which puts me in the role of a guide, with the trust of the client. One does not have to 'believe' anything in order to be guided into a hypnotic state. 80% of the time, newbies don't even realize they've been in hypnosis because they falsely believed things like they were going to sleep, or they say 'Gee, I heard every word you said.'  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlineart
Stranger
    #4687610 - 09/20/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i have another question, In the Bullshit episode, one of the people they interviewed claimed to be able to cure cancer. What do you think about that?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #4687977 - 09/20/05 09:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Believing someone for what they say when it is entirely plausible with no indication that it's a fabrication (say from body language like when posting on a message board) isn't being gullible. You have to take people at their word until your given reason not to.

Markos has been around long enough to his credintials aren't in question.

And of course he's right. Penn and Teller aren't what I would call a bastion of scientific knowledge.

Scientific American on the other hand I would. These people are renowned for their scepticism and objectivity and are generally very thorough on the subjects about which they write. Read what they had to say.

http://www.nhne.com/misc/hypnosis.html

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #4688210 - 09/20/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think the name hypnosis is greatly misunderstood. Through all the media hypnosis seems like a magical thing, its something the media can feed on. You see how these entertainment shows make hypnosis look fake and unreal but the truth is hypnosis has been used for many years in the past and is not "fake". You shouldn't acknowledge that something is "bullshit" unless you actually have experienced it or at least did some research. I bet some of you are saying "I cant be hypnotized" but guess what, you are being hypnotized right now, by reading this you are in a altered trance have you noticed now? If you want to put hypnosis in scientific terms its the fast process of reprogramming your brain. The relaxed daydreaming trance ignores the conscious mind that is trying to automatically delete the entering positive statements(that the Hypnotherapist is speaking) from entering the subconscious. Thats why hypnosis can be very helpful making positive changing in your life because it ignores all the automatic unwanted commands that have already been programmed within the mind.

OfflineJon
Re: Hypnotherapy [Re: p4kSouL]
    #4690600 - 09/21/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If one is unable to enter a tranced state for their subconcious to hear things, would a psychadelic trance be useful during such a session? Or is that dangerous?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order