Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
'A' multi dimensional community
    #4565508 - 08/22/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Not 'the' multi dimensional community and not necesarrily 'this' one either. I'm not proposing this as the only medicine for this community however it could be applied for positive benefits of everyone involved.

I am proposing 'a' way for 'a' community to have something greater then what it currently has.

Spirituality & Philosophy are great for each other. I personally believe Philosophy is what scientists decided to call their spirituality because they realised that in the world of intangibilities, delving through higher ideals and ways we can live our lives better, they decided it just wouldn't be write to call it scientific research. The scientific approach to spirituality is healthy and necessary because in order to understand the spiral one must also understand the linear sequence needed to create the construct. I believe we are here to share our experiences with one another and in order to do this we need to be able to follow linear journeys into one another and connect the dots in a way that makes sense to each other. There is 'a' idea that we all share different languages however the difference in what we are saying is merely an illusion... underneath the ego we are infact speaking the same thing.

I would like to propose a different way we communicate in the mainframe. I feel that our efforts could be more much more productive and beneficial for all. In a forum such as "Spirituality & Philosophy" we must expect virtually every man and his dog to be attracted to this place and be able to post his beliefs, thoughts, ideas and passions. He/she has come to shroomery in the first place because he/she desires something beyond what he/she currently understands.

I think a rule should be made and adhered to that we should not be allowed to enter somebodies thread and tell them they are wrong unless they have specifically mentonied that they are open to skeptisism.

Do you bid on eBay items you don't think are valuable? Why do you respond to topics you have no interest in? Or am I missing something and you look for eBay items you're not interested in to tell the person selling they are wasting their time trying to sell the invaluable item?

I believe the reason we are here is because we want to connect with likeminded people. We end up engaged in these battles with each other because we feel that in order to find support for what we believe in we must be scene in battle and winning. Winning displays that we are right and its a means to feeling proud about our beliefs and thoughts. Nobody wants to feel guilty about their beliefs.

If you don't have anything encouraging to say, why say it at all? Isn't the purpose of communication to actually build something? Do we want the tower of babel to fall once again?

We have a golden opportunity here to go beyond our ignorant brothers of the past who couldn't complete the tower of babel. We don't have to all build the same building, we can branch off and build whatever extensions we like because this digital world is virtually limitless.

I would like to see this forum evolve into something more. I would like to see more topics of diverse nature happening simeltaneously and in each of those topics people are continually expanding upon and making richer. We won't grow very quickly while chopping each other at the knees. Sure, it might help us make boots of steel to protect our legs but is that really what we want?

If full on spiritual people feel they can talk about what they believe in without the need to link back to formula in order to communicate it is a good thing.

If full on science people feel they can talk about new facts and evidence that makes them feel more clued in to the nature of the world, thats good too.

But basically, what I see happening is a very crazy thing indeed. It is as though we have a lecture hall with a couple thousand people in it and there's only 3-5 black boards. 1 person starts writing a formula or an expression on a board and another person comes along and writes a bunch of opposing stuff in the space where the rest of the expression was going to be written. Before long, the focus is lost and the intention gets caught up in a battle of stupidity.

Yes, its stupid to fight. The word battle and stupidity go together and if you battle you are stupid. If you can't walk down the street without trying to make everybody wear the same clothes as you... well, enough said. If you want everybody to be the same as you you might as well say you're against everybody.

I have a lot to share and I can see alot of likeminded people I want to transfer ideas with but I'm not going to do business with a client when there's maniacs jumping on our coffee table telling us the thing we are working on is not valid.

Maybe the battle of righteousness is laced within our stupid primitive genes. We talk about philosophy and spirituality and yet we are so stuck in the same bullshit that we're probably all against. We talk about stupid George Bush and his ignorance and then in our next post we're telling the spiritual believer he's an idiot. Ones a physical projectile that wounds an innocent iraqi child. Ones an emotional attack that hurts an inner child.

Icelander says words can't hurt anybody... but you never know how much weight somebody puts on these words. Sure, you're not responsible for another but someday a little fella might come along who has lost all hope and feels he has something to offer beyond his mediocre everyday existance. He's fighting a battle just to survive and his thoughts are all he has. He's lonely. He just wants some friends to hang out with. He comes to the shroomery. Sure, maybe you say he should be able to handle the tough struggle that you've learnt to deal with and should learn to defend himself... but chances are, if he's talking through the web he's already on the fringe of the world and his defenses could be broken.

By letting likeminded people come together and share themselves while being vulnerable allows for the things needed to take place in order to build strength in our beliefs. Some of us are not so comfortable with the ways of righteous war. There are those among us who read these pages and yet are afraid to speak their truth for fear of ridicule. They are waiting for the war to be over so that they can come out of hiding.

I feel we should be working towards something together. For example, since it has now been clearly realised that we can neither disprove or prove the existance to those seemingly on opposite sides of the fence, it should no longer be a valid argument repeatedly used against somebodies ideas. Perhaps this should be clearly stated in the combined efforts of this forum 'Shroomism' or something like that. I'm not saying you can't talk about your disbelief, I'm saying its pointless projecting it onto another while they are in a state of belief.

I imagine what would happen if we took this direction is this:
- more people would come to this forum or more people who are here would begin sharing themselves
- the depth of the conversation would go further then we ever imagined
- instead of bickering day in day out, perhaps at the end of every year, we would have a big convention and release the combined efforts of all the different types of groups and beliefs and philosophies that we have been working on and sharing together.

--------------------
Yesterday, the world was flat. Today, the world is a round ball. Tomorrow? The world will not be defined so easily with words...

Edited by iambobby (08/22/05 03:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: 'A' multi dimensional community [Re: iambobby]
    #4565541 - 08/22/05 03:07 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iambobby said:
I think a rule should be made and adhered to that we should not be allowed to enter somebodies thread and tell them they are wrong unless they have specifically mentonied that they are open to skeptisism

No I think this is a terrible idea. 

If I am on here and I am saying something that is blatantly wrong, I want to be told.  This place would be overflowing with nonsense if we agreed to let everyone state anything they wish as fact without any real basis in reality and avoid any kind of criticism or correction.  :rolleyes:

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Re: 'A' multi dimensional community [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4565546 - 08/22/05 03:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If 'reality' is so strong why do we need to try and protect it?

--------------------
Yesterday, the world was flat. Today, the world is a round ball. Tomorrow? The world will not be defined so easily with words...

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

#4565564 - 08/22/05 03:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What if reality is defaced by blatant misinformation?

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4565585 - 08/22/05 03:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Why am I given permission to believe in things that do not exist?

Why am I able to think of a word like 'belief' in a world of 'laws'? Surely, the law wouldn't allow for that which is born from it to go beyond it?

I don't think its trying to avoid anything and critisism can be given without the usage of words like nonsense. Isn't the notion of nonsense, nonsense? How can it be nonsense when I have used my senses to passage this text? How can it be nonsense when you are reading it?

I think if there is an means to helping somebody become more correct it is through questioning. Telling him he is wrong doesn't really encourage growth - it encourages withdrawl and defense.

I think philosophy is the science of spirituality and the words we use are the variables that add up. We can't use formula to explain spirituality, we use stories and myths and scenarios. To me, the language of this forum is metaphors. What makes something make sense is whether or not it peices together. If it is well written and makes sense it is valid, in the world of Spirituality & Philosophy.

--------------------

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

#4565593 - 08/22/05 03:26 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iambobby said:
I think if there is an means to helping somebody become more correct it is through questioning. Telling him he is wrong doesn't really encourage growth - it encourages withdrawl and defense.

Yes, but don't you agree that questioning is a form of criticism? I think that on this board we should be able to criticize each other without having to take offense, but unfortunately this isn't always the case.

I agree that posters should sometimes show more respect for each other, but to totally eliminate criticism would be a big loss for a Spirituality and Philosophy board.

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4565605 - 08/22/05 03:31 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I want to share a nightmare trip I had not long ago. I thought I had lost earth. I thought that in my search for infinity I had lost a grip of the things in this fixed world. It was truly horrific and I was reaching out hoping for the world I was comfortable with to return to me. Then a voice said, "Bobby, fear not, this world will never go away". For infinity to exist, so must the finite. I was calmed. This world and its laws will never cease to be, but they are not all that we will be limited to. We must be prepared to surrender the fears in our minds before we can expect to overcome the fears we have on this planet. It won't work the other way around.

We here are on the frontier of our planet. How can we expect things to resolve in the physical when we are at war within our minds? What I am proposing is far from being out there.

What defines blatent misinformation?

--------------------

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

#4565617 - 08/22/05 03:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iambobby said:
What defines blatent misinformation?

Well, for example, how about morally biased spirituality/philosophy? I guess its not misinformation in the sense that there are people who have these kind of beliefs, but is it not wrong to declare that manmade beliefs are a universal rule?

Btw, that sounds like a very rewarding trip.

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4565628 - 08/22/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry, I didn't know that critisism was questioning. As I've said in other posts, definitions of words are not my strongpoint. I guess sensitivity and respect is more the issue.

I also think unless we are able to ask a question that is not laced with a ton of righteousness it doesn't serve. Like, you've now asked me a question with respect and you are handling the situation with wisdom. Meeting halfway.

I think yes, you are right we should be able to take critisism without taking offense and at the same time we should be able to give guidance and ask questions without trying to make offense. I have been here a couple weeks and I've written a couple threads that have ended with people making sarcastic jokes about the stupidity of the topic.

So now the rule is unless you are at the level to be able to make the journey between the polar views without creating conflict, you should stay out of it. As in, unless you have been in the other persons shoes and can provide guidance to your way of thinking without attempting to make the other person feel like he is wrong, you should mind your own business.

--------------------

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4565648 - 08/22/05 03:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have gradually been changing my tune since being at this forum. I hope my growth here has not gone unnoticed. More and more as time passes I want to protect this world. I don't want to transcend it or go beyond it. I want to sustain it. At the same time, I want people to realise that there is more. My life journey has been one from originating at ultimate skeptic. My mother was a new-ager and I hated her. My father was a christian alcoholic and I hated christianity. I started off hating anything that could not be defined to me through an algorithm. Somehow, my extreme hatred popped me out the other side. Every step of the way my heels dug in wanting to hold onto the past and yet something drew me towards that which I was against. Now, I believe everything is possible, however I believe this is the only fixed reality, where yes, these laws do infact exist and that does make it universally special however I also know that its possible to step outside of these laws.

I am coming to believe that perhaps what happens now and then is that we temporarily step outside of the laws and re-enter. This stepping outside of the laws obviously can't be explained using the very laws it is beyond yet we have the feeling something shifted outside of the rulebook. For me, it has been a continual process of wierd shit happening and then questioning "how the fuck did this happen???".

I don't think we need to fear the end of this world and the laws it has. That it is 1 out of infinity means to me that the whole universe is conspiring in favour of upholding this fixed dimension. It needs no defense when infinity is on its side and this should give us the certainty to allow anybody to talk it up as out there as it comes.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4565925 - 08/22/05 08:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I think a rule should be made and adhered to that we should not be allowed to enter somebodies thread and tell them they are wrong unless they have specifically mentonied that they are open to skeptisism.

:thumbdown: This place would fill with crap in no time.

I think if anything. Another forum for people who want no discussion or questioning of beliefs. Then I would never have to be exposed to those posts. :grin: Or maybe you should start your own forums.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Re: 'A' multi dimensional community [Re: Icelander]
    #4565932 - 08/22/05 08:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I tried. Nobody came and stayed. I wanted to be less egotistical and help others.

--------------------

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4565935 - 08/22/05 09:03 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've just realised that once again, I've written a bunch of gobble I'm contradicting myself with. Like, I'm saying, be cool with people doing whatever they want and yet, I'm not being cool with you guys not being cool with letting whatever happen. Doh!  :pennydrop:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4565959 - 08/22/05 10:07 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iambobby said:
I've just realised that once again, I've written a bunch of gobble I'm contradicting myself with. Like, I'm saying, be cool with people doing whatever they want and yet, I'm not being cool with you guys not being cool with letting whatever happen. Doh!  :pennydrop:

Yep, join the crowd here at S&P. Surrender to it as you find it, and when you find it you might like it, and when you like it you will in effect, change it into what it is. :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4565961 - 08/22/05 10:11 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iambobby said:
I tried. Nobody came and stayed. I wanted to be less egotistical and help others.

I'm not surprised. I think when you set out to "help" others they can sense a suttle hit of superiority in that selfless act. Nobody really needs that kind of help. Help yourself, be drawn naturally to others out of attraction. Things will go well.

Sorry to sound preachy, but it's a leftover from growing up in the bible belt. :grin:

--------------------

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Re: 'A' multi dimensional community [Re: Icelander]
    #4565971 - 08/22/05 10:30 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

No but its so true what you're saying. Its like as soon as I come across as though I even have something to add it sort of implies that I'm more than you guys. Fuck. Umm, Sorry. They say every savior creates his own crucifixion. :cheer: Take care y'all I gotta go live this shit.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4566001 - 08/22/05 10:51 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Rambly post that I'm double-thinking...

Edited by JacquesCousteau (08/22/05 01:12 PM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4566002 - 08/22/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

edit: double..

Edited by JacquesCousteau (08/22/05 01:11 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology