Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineunearth
Stranger
friend says pot messes up your head
    #4489140 - 08/03/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i highly doubt this is true and i already know it doestn kill brain cells,so does it mess up or do anything bad to your head in anyway. and how come pot causes difficutly with short term memory while being high or during frequent use of it,got from erowid.

Edited by unearth (08/03/05 09:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: unearth]
    #4489151 - 08/03/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Define "mess up", first, then maybe we can have a discussion about it. :smirk:

Marijuana is not known to cause any brain damage. There are some possible links between regular marijuana usage and higher risk of developing mental disorders like schizophrenia...but it is probably only a problem for people who are already predisposed to developing mental disorders (if you have schizophrenia in your family, using ANY drugs may not be a good idea).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: trendal]
    #4489155 - 08/03/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

like do anythign to harm your head

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4489170 - 08/03/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

There are no known physical damages caused by THC or marijuana, aside from possible lung-damage from the smoke itself.

Literally tens of millions of people use marijuana on a regular basis worldwide. If there was any chance of brain damage or anything like that...it would have turned up long ago. If there is even a remote chance of brain damage, it is such a small chance as to be essentially unimportant.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineBlackOctagon
Voyeur
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: trendal]
    #4489226 - 08/03/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ok I'm uncontrollably FURIOUS right now because I seem to have somehow misplaced my latest issue of Erowid Extracts, which is not yet online. But in it, they take a fairly detailed look at all the current research surrounding the possible mental damage caused by THC. And the simple answer is that we don't yet have sufficient pharmacological evidence to prove anything either way. It's certainly possible that THC can cause mental damage, though even if this is true the extent of one's use would probably be a huge factor. If anyone has a copy of Extracts lying around please feel free to elaborate!

At any rate, I'm not 100% sure that mental damage is what the original poster meant by 'messes up your head.' I think it's been well established that regular use of cannabis can effect one's personality and psychological state in a pretty big way. It doesn't happen to everyone, but a lot of stoners (including myself back in the day) experience poorer concentration, decreased levels of motivation, and general sketchiness whilst both stoned and straight, not to mention groundless paranoia and anxiety during the experience. For the most part, these effects all but disappeared for me during the 6 months after I quit cannabis. So I guess I'd say that yes, pot did 'mess up my head,' but only while I was a regular user.

Btw, I should add that in my experience, and in many other people's experience, hydroponic pot seems to 'mess up the head' a lot more than pot grown outdoors. I'm not sure of the extent to which this is a subjective thing, but I'm fairly sure substantive studies have been done to establish that this is so (something to do with by-products in the hydro, I believe).

For more, you might wanna try 'Cannabis Discussion' over at BL.

--------------------
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
-Bertrand de Jouvenel

Edited by BlackOctagon (08/03/05 10:25 AM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4489235 - 08/03/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say that you don't have to worry about physical problems so much as psychological problems.

While pot is notoriously touted as being "safe" on a physical level, that doesn't change the fact that it has a great potential for psychological dependancy and abuse. Further, those who find themselves locked into a dependancy are usually subconsciously self-medicating some aspect of themselves that they don't like, but are too lazy to change.

And if it turns out you fall into that pile, watch out... (this is why lazy is in bold above) because it also has a tendency to amplify apathy and laziness. And this is where a snowball effect occurs for most people who had relatively weak willpower to begin with. (Myself included.)

The catch is that you probably won't be convinced you fall into that pile until it's too late.

--

I'm not saying pot is dangerous, and I'm not saying you should avoid it because of the above possibilities. I'm just warning you in advance, incase you find yourself slipping into a use-habit that doesn't seem beneficial to your long-term goals.

My advice, in a nutshell, is: stick to weekends.

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4489250 - 08/03/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i meant like mentally messing up your head,but thanks for all the people who gave info

Edited by unearth (08/03/05 10:37 AM)

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4489271 - 08/03/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You're welcome.

FYI, it's really easy to underestimate the potential for psychological dependancy with this plant... so however "safe" you feel with it, keep yourself on your toes about it anyway. You'll be better off in the long run.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4493272 - 08/04/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Weekends only? Are u crazy, omg. I gotta be high every single day, life is just boring as fuck when you ain't stoned.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: downforpot]
    #4494776 - 08/04/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

haha yeah im one of those that smokes when im not high

but imma see if i can make it a week or so cause my tolerance is costing me to much $.

for me...if i dont smoke...like i havent for the past 3 days...i NEVER get hungry...like i might eat a half of a 6" sub or soemthing unless i just force myself to eat. And i dont sleep very well. This is probably just conditioning

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: Vulture]
    #4495186 - 08/04/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think pot makes you lazy so much as makes you content with your current situation. Like if your content with your current job your not going to be looking for a better one. So when your content with how things are going it's just natural for you to sit down and enjoy yourself. It's the discontent that provoks us to strive for change.

Mainly all drugs, can have different effects in individual cases. You can't just make a broad statement like "pot makes you lazy". Becuase that won't be the case for every person. You have to take thigns into account like; is the person somewhat lazy to begin with? If this is the case smoking bud will most likely increase laziness. But it also depends alot on your mood at the time, what you have planed to do ect.

No need to confuse relaxing enjoyment with laziness. However, smoking everyday can lead to behavior changes and isn't reccomended for everyone. If you want to smoke everyday the worst thing you have to worry about is lung damage from the smoke. Any mental effects you may have will be gone within a few weeks after quitting. Now if you already have an addictive personality then you might want to stay away from all drugs anyway or it could be very hard to quit.

TCH's effect on the brain is kind of like if your brain cells were light bulbs and you put a blanket over the lightbulb. It dulls it some, but doesn't kill it. When you quit the blanket slowly disolves and no permanent harm from the result. It takes at most a few weeks to a month of non-use to disolve your blankets completely.

There will always be misinformation about pot. Be very careful on what you except as fact just because the person is a nurse or teach or whatever. Gather all information you can and consider all sides of the argument before believing what you hear. Just because someone has a badge doesn't make them the divine authority on life.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: Sycronica]
    #4495824 - 08/04/05 03:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Cannabinoids do kill brain cells, but the brain cells they kill are called "Glioma" or Cancer of the brain(Tumor). All other brain cells are protected and healed by cannabinoids. (Glioma cells cannot tolerate the action of cannabinoids)"

http://www.thc-ministry.net/cannabisinfo.htm
check out this site theres stuff on weed i never knew about

Edited by unearth (08/04/05 03:46 PM)

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

#4495934 - 08/04/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well I guess cannabis is good for anything and everything...

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: Alobar]
    #4496512 - 08/04/05 07:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alobar said:
Well I guess cannabis is good for anything and everything...

as long as you never run out :smile:

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: friend says pot messes up your head [Re: Vulture]
    #4496921 - 08/04/05 08:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think one of the largest benefits of pot to cancer patients is the moral boost.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom