Hehe, nice write-up. From Fox TV network? 
More info, the man was shot 8 times instead of five
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1682142005
Quote: Brazilian shot eight times by officers
MICHAEL BLACKLEY
Key points ? An innocent Brazilian man killed on Friday was shot 8 times by police ? Relatives of Mr Menezes are thinking of suing the Metropolitan Police ? Independent Police Complaints Commission are investigating the incident
Key quote "They [the police] have to pay for that in many ways because if they do not, they are going to kill many people; they are going to kill thousands of people. They just kill the first person they see; that's what they did.? - Alex Pereira, cousin of Mr de Menezes
Story in full THE innocent Brazilian man gunned down by police at Stockwell Underground station on Friday was killed by seven shots to the head and one to the shoulder, a coroner's inquest heard yesterday.
It had previously been reported that five shots to the head killed Jean Charles de Menezes, whose only link to those suspected of attempting to bomb London's Underground network last Thursday was that he lived in the same block of flats as one of them.
His killing has put Britain's "shoot-to-kill" policy under the spotlight, with British Muslim politicians expressing concern yesterday that other innocent people - particularly illegal asylum seekers - might end up being shot by police.
Tony Blair, the Prime Minister, apologised yesterday for the death of Mr de Menezes, but relatives said they were thinking of suing the Metropolitan Police. Detective Inspector Elizabeth Baker, the director of professional standards and specialist investigations at Scotland Yard, attended yesterday's inquest.
The coroner, John Sampson, said: "At 10:05am Mr Menezes entered Stockwell Tube station, took the escalator to the platform and boarded a north-bound Northern line train.
"Armed police officers followed him on to the train and shot him several times in the head and once in the shoulder. Paramedics pronounced him dead at 10:10am. Cause of death was seven shots to the head and one shot to the shoulder."
Comments by Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, that officers would shoot to kill again have caused controversy in the aftermath of Mr Menezes' death. Yesterday, a leading Labour peer said illegal immigrants might become victims of the policy because they will naturally run when challenged by a police officer.
Lord Nazir Ahmed of Rotherham said that police must act within the "parameters of reasonableness", after Mr de Menezes became a victim of the controversial strategy. It has been claimed that he may have been running from police because his visa had expired.
Lord Ahmed said many Muslims were concerned they might fall victim to the police policy. He said: "We know that we have about 500,000 or so illegal immigrants. If any one of them was challenged by a police officer, they would certainly run.
"I am not suggesting for one minute that an illegal asylum seeker has the right to stay here, but he is not the same as a suicide bomber." He added that police needed to ensure that mistakes were not repeated.
Sadiq Khan, the Labour MP for Tooting in London, also said there was widespread anxiety among Muslims about shoot-to-kill, although he said that a message needed to be put across that police would only use the policy in certain extreme circumstances.
At a Downing Street news conference yesterday, Mr Blair said: "We are desperately sorry for the death of an innocent person, and I understand entirely the feelings of the young man's family.
"But we also have to understand the police are doing their job in very difficult circumstances, and I think it is important that we give them every support and that we understand that had the circumstances been different and, for example, this had turned out to be a terrorist and they had failed to take that action, they would have been criticised the other way."
The Home Office refused to comment yesterday on whether Mr de Menezes, 27, was in Britain on an out-of-date visa. Reports had claimed that he had come to the UK on a student visa, which allows people to work for a small number of hours. Alex Pereira, a cousin of Mr de Menezes, told BBC Breakfast that the police "have to pay" for the mistake.
He said: "They have to pay for that in many ways because if they do not, they are going to kill many people; they are going to kill thousands of people. They just kill the first person they see; that's what they did. They killed my cousin; they could kill anyone."
Mr de Menezes had given relatives a glowing report of life in the United Kingdom in a visit to Brazil soon after moving to the country. "They don't have violence," he had said. "It's good there. Nobody walks around with a gun." Mr Pereira held meetings yesterday with a Brazilian minister, Celso Amorim, and a lawyer, Gareth Peirce, to discuss potential action.
Later, he claimed that his cousin had a five-year visa and that it had not expired. He called on police to release CCTV footage of the incident:
"They have to answer why they let a guy they suspected of terrorism take a bus and why they waited for a crowded place, before they shot him. They have to show everyone, not only me, but everyone, what they did."
An Independent Police Complaints Commission inquiry continued after the coroner's hearing. The officers involved in the shooting have given an account of what happened, although they may be asked to return for further questioning.
Nick Hardwick, the IPCC chairman, said it was too early to say how long the inquiry would take. Urging the public not to jump to rash judgments, he added: "We enter this with open minds, as we search for the truth, and we have accepted the full co-operation of the Metropolitan Police service, which they have pledged.
"We don't start from the assumption that we are investigating a crime here."
--------------------
futuretribe.space
|