Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

Loc: Washington, USA
Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans.
    #4474282 - 07/30/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have been picking cyans for years now, and the specimens that I have been picking from the wood chips are usually small to medium sized and their potency is very nice. I have picked many cyans from the lawns, which are very close to the wood chip patches that I have, and there is a significan difference in size. The potency is relatively the same, but the size is much larger. Most of the lawn vars are almost twice the size of the wood chip cars, but it is very noticable in the stems. The stems are much large no matter the cap size in the lawn var.
Out of curiousity, does anyone else have the same experience, or different from this? BTW, Im in western washington, and my patches are about 45 miles from Seattle.
I am very curious to know what others have experienced.
I dont have the pictures from last year, but this year I will be documenting my finds with cyans, semi's, and any other species I find.

--------------------
Our body is light, we are immortal.
Our body is love, we are eternal.
Eternal..

Omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, without judgment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans. [Re: BigBallZMaN]
    #4474798 - 07/30/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Woodchip varieties can get as big as lawn varieties. many of the lawn areas only have them int he lawns because there is woodchips under the lawns, or the lawn mowers circle the edges of mulch areas spreading the mulch through mowing into other parts of the pawns.

Ther eare close to 450 P. cyanescens pictures posted at the Shroomeries Ultimate shroom Guide on both thwe lawn cyans and the mulch cyans.

and at this site also:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species.htm

Enjoy the show.

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4474829 - 07/30/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The cyans picked around grass are propably larger due to the increased moisture from the grass, this would add some bulk to the mushroom, especially on the stems, which would also recieve minimium sunlight.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
Re: Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans. [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #4475113 - 07/30/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

um... i think mj has the right idea

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Re: Differences between Wood Chip and Lawn Vars of Cyans. [Re: hot48yearolds]
    #4476255 - 07/31/05 02:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mj more explained why cyans grow in the grass around woodchip patches, and this is true. Hes[BigBallZMaN
] asking why cyans growing in the grass appear larger.

I said they most likely grow or appear larger because they are growing in the grass, staying much more moist. Cyans growing on woodchips are not protected as well, and loose moisture faster then the grass varieties.

More moisture = Larger mushroom

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Edited by SweetLeaf (07/31/05 09:43 PM)

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

#4477273 - 07/31/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I had my own theories on it, but I wanted to know if other people had generally the same experience with that. I know there are wood chips under the lawn, I did the landscaping etc. I am just curious if the grass a major factor, due to moisture etc. I have definately found specimens that were just as large in wood chips as in the lawn, but in general I have noticed them to be larger. I do seriously enjoy hunting for cyans, and the haul I get on my patches are very nice sometimes. I just spread spores in several new areas so I should have 7 or 8 patches now. Anyways, thanks for the info ppl. Appreciate it.

--------------------
Eternal..

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4477625 - 07/31/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Cyans can also get large in the woodchip gardens depending iont he thickness of the muclh and the surrounding environment of plant life.

I have picked large cyans in woodchips as much as I pick large cyans in grassy areas.

Even blue ringers only grow to the top edge of the grasses. IF the grass is allowed to grow tall, the shrooms also grow tall.

mj

Overall, P. cynas on one side of the street might not be the same sizes or potencies as the ones across the street.

Fine woodchips produce good shrooms and scatterered branched woodchips maybe not, but more abundantly they spread with scattered branches and bark.

mj

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

#4478054 - 07/31/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting. Thank you for the help MJ. I know there are soooo many variables, of course, but I have been curious if there are some specific, or more prolific variables than others. Anyways, I think my questions have been answered well enough that I can conclude that one is neither more potent than the other nor larger or smaller than the other, because they all vary so much. Lawn vs Wood chip vars are going to be different, either way, from one spot to another, from one year to another, or even flush to flush. One is not always going to be superior to another, or the other way around. Thanks MJ

--------------------
Eternal..

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

#4478169 - 07/31/05 06:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
Cyans can also get large in the woodchip gardens depending iont he thickness of the muclh and the surrounding environment of plant life.

Exactly. Large cyans can grow in woodchips, or woodchip laden grass habiitats, although usually cyans growing in grass are more likely to have optimal moisture, as the ground often stays much more moist.

From my experience I have found woodchip patches consisting of large common alder bark dries much more quickly then grass.

This is not to say that grass is always a better habitat, or that there is not cover for woodchip patches, or you will only find large shrooms in grass, that would be ridiculous.

Just that woodchips dry more quickly, grass retains water better, therefore in response to BigBallZMaN, the reason he is finding larger cyans in grass, is because the moisture is better retained.

Im finding it odd that people are having a problem with this statement, as it is born in logic.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

#4478379 - 07/31/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SweetLeaf said:
Just that woodchips dry more quickly, grass retains water better, therefore in response to BigBallZMaN, the reason he is finding larger cyans in grass, is because the moisture is better retained.

I understand exactly what MJ is getting at. I wasnt sure why other were people were having trouble, and it sounds like you had the same problem I had with understanding them :P

--------------------
Eternal..

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

#4478720 - 07/31/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

what?

I'm not saying they don't grow to the same size.

I'm saying that the mushrooms in grass will stay wetter over time and will not dry out nearly as fast as those on an open woodchip patch. When the mushroom is wetter it keeps its size.

When a mushroom dries out it becomes smaller, as a result, when an open woodchip patch dries, then the mushrooms growing on it will become smaller.

In grass, the soil/woodchips stay more moist as grass retains moisture better then the average woodchip patch (large to medium size woodchips, not finner less common mulch) They also are protected on all sides from wind, which on an open woodchip patch dries the mushrooms.

If it rains everyday, both areas produce large robust mushrooms, as they are both getting enough water. This is not often the case though.

Take a look for yourself next season, if you choose to disreguard what I am dictating.

Edited by SweetLeaf (07/31/05 10:31 PM)

OfflineBigBallZMaN
Knowledge Quest

#4482233 - 08/01/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think you have misunderstood what I have been saying. I am listening to you, and I understand what you are talking about, and that you are giving me useful information. I am not disregaurding it, or choosing not to listen. Maybe I said something that may have implied otherwise, but I am sorry for this misunderstanding and did not mean to offend you in any way. I dont understand exactly what gave you the impression I was disregaurding what you have said, or anything that has been said for that matter. If I implied it, then it was a mistake on my part, and I replied incorrectly. Sorry for this, and I hope you can forgive me? I do not wish to have any bouts or difficulties with any users on here. I do enjoy myself, and everyone on this site that I have run accross thus far, and I hope to continue this way, which I will make an active effort to achieve. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Matt

--------------------
Eternal..

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #4484731 - 08/02/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's too late now, Matt. You must go.......Away....Far away from this place. You musn't ever return.......

...OK, sorry about that. Where am I?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract