Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS)
    #388157 - 09/07/01 07:38 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week just keeps getting more strange by the day for cubies. I can't find a single cube in the local cow pastures, but here I am finding them in horse pastures and woodchips of all places!! You see, there is this horse park where I live, the 96 olympics were help there. Anyways, there are stables, and riding arenas all over this park, and there are what you call "manure pits", where the manure and stable bedding gets shoveled into. Well, I stopped and asked an attendant where they empty these dung pits at? He directed me about a mile up the road to the dump site and said I was free to take all I needed. So I get up there, and the dump consists mainly of the woodchip bedding from the stables, and a few horse turds here and there, didn't look very promising. Low and behold though, I step out of the truck and there sits a fat cluster of three large cubies. The thing is, they were growing from freaking wood chips!!!! I am sure there is horse shit burried under those chips somewhere, but the mycelium was actually growing in the woodchips, no dung visible at all, and I even dug a little. This has got to be the stragest of places I have ever found, or ever will find a cubie. I couldn't f*#&ing belive it!!

here are a few pics, notice the woodchips attached directly to the mushrooms themselves.....

Edited by Lizard King on 09/08/01 12:27 AM.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #388159 - 09/07/01 07:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblestrang

#388227 - 09/07/01 09:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

now that is fucked up.... your a lucky bastard to find such...... what next a cube in human shit?

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
    #388273 - 09/07/01 10:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That is extremely cool! I think you should do like the man said, & "take all you need" of that compost for your home garden.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #388276 - 09/07/01 10:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

sorta like the wood loving b strain :)

dans le silence du poisson-lune
plilosophait au fond des brumnes

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #388318 - 09/07/01 11:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Damn man, thats nice :) What is that, 7 cubes north of Atlanta now? I thought they were a very rare occurance north of Macon. Maybe I'll find some... that'd be phatty, yo.

Peace out,
-Gumby

OfflineShroomerBoy
Re: Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) [Re: Gumby]
    #388333 - 09/08/01 12:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The cubensis are in the horse fields, they're in the wood chips, they're in my mind, they're even in my tea! The cubensis are everywhere! AHHHHH!!!!!!

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) [Re: ShroomerBoy]
    #388400 - 09/08/01 01:36 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thats 7 cubies north of ATL this year, I found 6 north of ATL two years ago, and also saw that same field full but didn't get the chance to pick it, and have never seen a cubie in it since :(

I would take some of the wood chips home with me, but I'd hate to screw up a good thing, ya know? I'll wait until the next fe rains and see if this place pops up anymore cubes. I know its going to be a killer spot for pan subbs, but I;m not sure how commonly the cubes show up in this spot. Hell of a find though ain't it! I am so thrilled about todays find :) I'm not sure what to expect nect? Hopefully Psilocybe atlantis, thats my goal for this year,

Anyways, I'm drunk and tired, I'll talk to ya'll tommarow.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #388477 - 09/08/01 02:58 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

get prints if you can LK, that might be a strain worthy of outdoor cultivation in more northern locales. and to fruit on horse dung would make it a very aggressive strain indeed. i would hazard to say it is a unique strain, what would you call it?

dans le silence du poisson-lune
plilosophait au fond des brumnes

--------------------

Invisiblestrang

Re: Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #388538 - 09/08/01 06:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i used to live in huntsville, alabama... north alabama.... we used to find hundreds and i really mean hundreds.... this field used to be tha shit but since has stopped producing totally... weird occurence.... many people also found out about "the g spot"....dont know what happen, just wish i was on the boards then and had a digi camera......i havnt found a cube in honestly three years, and i used to find at least 5-15 after every good rain from july-mid oct.......i guess she got raped.... since me and my buddy have paid a visit to other"producing"fields in the past two or so with no luck... i swear on a stack of bibles that the fields used to produce the mother load but havent done shit in two or so years.. i have visited the fields every time that shrooms should be out and nothing... i have almost given up on hunting.. it used to be as easy as waking up in the morning to "hit up the fields" but now nothing.... oh well, thats what cultivation is for.....STRANG......

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #388953 - 09/08/01 10:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

amoung my experiments with cultivation, i have grown several varieties on wood chips as a substitute for verm, yet there was still brown rice flour all over them. the fruiting wasn't spectacular though.

Offlineamanita
addict
Loc: UK
Re: Ps. cubensis in wood chips!!!!????(PICS) [Re: tchyted]
    #389615 - 09/09/01 07:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Very interesting, great photos. Those rhizomorphic mycelia can certainly cover some distance!

However, the wood chips could be just acting as a casing layer. Agaricus mushrooms have been shown to be capable of fruiting from substrates below 1 metre of casing. I am sure there's a turd under there!

If you have time, you could try an experiment-
one could take a tissue culture from the mushrooms, and grow it on malt agar with added woodchips, measure growth rates compared to ordinary malt agar. This would show if the strain has a preference for woody substrates.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification