Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineImobiletoe
Loc: Seattle, WA
Wood chips
    #2066946 - 11/03/03 03:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

where the hec is all the alder??? man I have looked everywhere and it seems like there is nothing but cedar woodchips... I was really hoping to find some cyans this season and It don't seem like I'm going to. what do I do? Is it possible at all for cyans to grow in cedar or should I not bother at all? I find other mushrooms sometimes but they all look like galerinas to me... Help I want to find cyans!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Wood chips [Re: Imobiletoe]
    #2066977 - 11/03/03 03:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

go walk around neighboorhoods, or community gardens... look for the mulch/woodchip areas.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Wood chips [Re: whole9]
    #2066978 - 11/03/03 03:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

also nurserys use alder chips alot.

OfflineImobiletoe
Re: Wood chips [Re: whole9]
    #2066991 - 11/03/03 03:42 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've walked around tons of neighborhoods and it all looks cedar to me... maybe I just don't know what the shit looks like... alder is the thick chips that are sorta grayish when old am I right?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2067498 - 11/03/03 10:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Alder is usually in a saw dust mode or in small branches and crushed branchs and is a grayish-white. The reason you do not see a lot of alder is because of the spotted owls. The clear cuts are almost gone becasue of environmentalists having laws enacted to stop clear cuts. IT is the alfder fromt such clear cuts that bring in the Psiloycbe cyanesens into the city.

Baeocystis and stuntzii and fimentaria;'s are alol pasture shrooms which can grow in swoodchips but only vbecause the spores are int he topsoils. And the pastures are disappearing formt he rRainer Valley. From Tukwilla to Kent they hav been built over by one story non poluting buildings, but there is plenty of alder in the city. I see it everywhere. Like liberty caps are not in every pasture, every place with alder may or may not have some psilocybes growing in it.

This is my worst year for seeing shrooms in Seattle. I would have been better off staying in Thailand until November instead of coming back. Next year I will stay for three or four months to collect prints.

ahave a shroomy day and good luck. No rain,.

mj

OfflineImobiletoe
Re: Wood chips [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2068005 - 11/03/03 02:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

so have you ever found cyans out in clear cuts where alder has been cut? cause I know a lot of clear cuts and that would be easy to look for it would seem to me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2068086 - 11/03/03 03:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Once in 1977, when my ex wife left me stranded in the middle of a clear cut in Kingston Washington, I found 18 P. cyanesens on a trail off of the logging road about four feet from the logging road.

If they are in the woods they are rare, and I mean extremeley rare. It is when the spores geti into the mulch beiong delivered for landscapping companies. Years ago, Sawdust Supply of harbor Isiand, now down the street from there, use to stack their main mulch piles out bnear Kent/Auburn south of Seattle. The mycelluium for cyans was a predominant shroom back there appearing mostly inb alder woodchips known as steer-0co.. wehen landscapers would remove piles to take to their companies, no ew chips would be piled onto the old pile and the spore distribution and mycellium would continue to grow.

Over the past 15 years the main mulch has nbeen alder branches.

OIn a clear-cut today you would more than likely find P. pelliculosa and some P. silcvatica, but the latter would not be as many as the pelliculosas.

They dominate clear cuts along with massive Galerina autumnalis, naematoloma and carrot cups (Aluria aurancia)

mj

Offlinedastats
Efrum theretarded rabbit
Loc: B.C.
Re: Wood chips [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2068466 - 11/03/03 07:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

All else fails, go to the wood store, by a peace of maple or alder, and get a plane. Bit of a pain in the ass, but you will have shavings. Thats whut I'm gunna be doing in about 3 hours frum now, doing enuff to get cultures going in a jar.

Phone woodshops and millwork shops and see whut they have around their planer bins.

Peace
Jater

--------------------
Peace all.

Jater

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification