Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejoyride
journeyman
Newbie Terrarium Questions!
    #441983 - 10/30/01 01:45 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

OK, im getting ready to grow my frist batch of shrooms (soon as sporeworks gets the golden teacher prints in)

and iv read prdy much everything i can find about this stuff and i have a couple questions left over that are unanswered.

1.) im going to use a Vix ultra Sonic Humidifre and a plastic container thingy as my aquarium. shoudl i hook the hose from the humidifire up to the side, Top, Bottom of the aquarium? should the humidifre be directly hooked up to the aquarium? iv read a guide that told me to have 2 or 3 pop bottles between. also should i have the humidifire running 24/7 or have it like one day on one day off?

2.) what should i place on the bottom of the aquarium? or shoudl the cakes just sit their on the plastic? iv read to put a wire mesh and hold them like an inch off the plastic bottom but in some photos i have seen some kinda sandy stuf at the bottom

3.) do i need to steralize the plastic container? if so how? wont boiling water melt it?

4.) im going to keep the aquarium on a heating pad (since im canadian the house gets a lil chili in the winter) is this a good method?

5.) whats the best way to ventalate the aquarium? cause if i juts have the humidifire hooked up it will juts pump it full of humidity and everything will die.

thanks again!!
Darren

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetripyfungi
Stranger
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Newbie Terrarium Questions! [Re: joyride]
    #442035 - 10/30/01 02:45 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hey...where abouts in canada are you from..I'm from BC. I suggest that if you are going to grow, that you do not use cakes...especially for the first time. Use a tuperware container with hay. Lots of info out there on this technique.

I ventilate mine with an aquarium pump. Just try to make sure that the air the pump puts in is clean. Pick up a air purifier.

I'm growing mush for the second time..first time not too succesffful, not many mush..but have come up with some new methods...let me know how yours turn out.
peace

Offlinelemming
evil

#442037 - 10/30/01 02:46 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, in order...
1) I don't know :P
2) The best thing to use is perlite, if you keep the cakes whole.
3) Not really, just clean it with some alcohol
4) That's fine, just make sure it doesn't get too hot inside, or the mycelium will die
5) Either you open the terrarium a couple of times a day or you use a computer fan

Also, I suggest you use the heating pad only in the colonization process, while leaving the heating pad off once you birth the cakes would give them a cold-shock and initiate pinning faster.

--------------------
As evil as a dwarf can get...

OfflineGoodTimes
    #442346 - 10/30/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Find yourself a sealable container. In it place an inch of vermeculite(sterile preferably). Throw a little water and peroxide mix on it. Then build a wire mesh an inch of vermeculite. Make sure top of teranium is transparent as mycelia will need light to fruit. Twice a day CAKES will need a change of air to remove co2.
Oh yeah, by the way cakes are the best way to go if your a newbie. Simple because once mycelia sets in the cake is pretty much resistant to any contams that would like to settle in and they will if you let them. Especially on a nice wet casing that only experience knows how to manage. Think about it, a colonizing cake is 100% protected from contams and once 100% colonized is safe from contams pretty much indefinitly. The casing method is only safe will colonizing, then once you break it up and distribute, not only the spawn medium, but also the casing you have to look out for. Go with the cakes. Check pic if in doubt

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix