Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Why is my outdoor bed growing green mold?
    #4342986 - 06/27/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have an outdoor grow going now for about 3-4 days with some fully colonized horse poo. I put about 3 inches of horse poo into a bucket, cased with about 1/2 inch of potting soil, and covered with a very thin layer of straw. The poo had started to grow some green mold before i put it outdoors. I removed the spots and used the rest of the poo which looked pretty much mold free. The green mold seems to still be growing on at least the top layer of my grow. THe middle seems to still be strong with myc., i checked it today. I thought outdoor grows were supposed to be resistant to mold growth? The bucket does have holes in the bottom for proper drainage too. THe myc./mold has started to come up throught the casing layer. I put the grow into a little more direct sunlight today to try and kill off some of the mold hopefully. As long as there is still healthy myc. on the poo is there still hope for some fruits out of this grow? Ive been keeping it misted daily.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Why is my outdoor bed growing green mold? [Re: jtk]
    #4343037 - 06/27/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

WELL... your stuck with the green mold. i had some mexi-cubies in a 66qt tub and everything went fine until one day, big ass green mold spot right next t my pins. well the pins shot up into woppers but i'm not eating, selling, or giving anything away that has ever been exposed to the mean green.chances are you mycellium is pretty solid so it's a possibility to still get mushrooms. weather you want to eat them is up to u.

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4343046 - 06/27/05 02:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The reason its not, is because the mold started growing its network before you put it outdoors...

Experiment...
Get 2 identical pieces of bread, keep one inside laying somewhere, and throw one outside a good distance. $100 says the one inside will mold faster than the one outside, if the one outside does at all... (it usually will not)

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why is my outdoor bed growing green mold? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4343254 - 06/27/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was under the impression that mushrooms grown off green mold were safe for consumption. There were a couple posts awhile back stating that the only mold that is actually harmful for human consumption is black mold. Im pretty sure it was diver that said 99.9% of the time mushrooms grown off contams, were still safe to eat. I know they were saying that green mold would not hurt people if consumed. I think if i get some fruits, then i will probably still eat them.

--------------------

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #4343293 - 06/27/05 03:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hey... that's your choice. good luck with the outdoor.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4343529 - 06/27/05 04:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you shouldn't be using potting soil, it's bag full of contams, and the straw shouldn't be used as casing, it's bulk so use it as such.

was the poo sufficiently sterilized? the straw as well. The principles and steps for growing apply to both inside and outdoors, it just that with outdoors you let nature take its course and see what happens.

and I don't recommend eating fruits that have been growing off contaminated myc. Just too risky and not worth it.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4343825 - 06/27/05 05:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

jtk said:
I was under the impression that mushrooms grown off green mold were safe for consumption. There were a couple posts awhile back stating that the only mold that is actually harmful for human consumption is black mold. Im pretty sure it was diver that said 99.9% of the time mushrooms grown off contams, were still safe to eat. I know they were saying that green mold would not hurt people if consumed. I think if i get some fruits, then i will probably still eat them.

The mold itself woul hurt you if you ate it.. The fruits off the moldy casing/outdoor bed, on the other hand would be contam free.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why is my outdoor bed growing green mold? [Re: soochi]
    #4343943 - 06/27/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I only used straw to hold in moisture and keep the RH up. I know its used for bulk, but im not using it for nutrients for the mushrooms.

I have also seen where people have claimed to have gotten results using potting soil for casing outdoors. It's basically the only thing i have easy access too, and since it can hold moisture i figured it would work ok for a casing outdoor.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation