Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineseeingeye
stranger thanyou

Loc: elsewhere
New Hunter's Luck...then frustrated
    #4298322 - 06/15/05 09:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hello all,

First, thanks to everyone who provides information on this forum.  This is a great resource and I've learned a lot.

I'm not new to shrooms, but I went on my first hunt about a week ago searching mainly for cubes since they seem the easiest to identify and should be firing up in my area (central Alabama).  I happened to recently start a job that requires me to drive overnight on country backroads where there are plenty of fields to choose from and in just the second one I checked I found a nice group of exactly what I was looking for - psilocybe cubensis - one mushroom had had a 4 inch cap and there were three smaller ones growing along with it.  They were easy to identify (thanks to this site and others), provided an excellent trip and I was sure my summer would be shroomy.  There really is nothing like finding something created by nature that provides such a satisfying and theraputic high.

However, since then I have not been able to find any active shrooms, and boy have I looked.  I've been in probably a dozen or so fields and returned to my "active" spot several times only to come away empty handed.  It's been rainy and humid here so the conditions should be right, but I'm beginning to think my find was beginner's luck. :frown:

I try to be very selective about which fields I enter as I'm out at night and don't want to freak out any of the locals, therefore I can't cover a lot of ground.  Maybe I should be more patient, or my timing with the weather is off.....

Anywho, I'm now hooked on hunting so any suggestions for finding better fields?  Should I continue to focus on the one field I know is active, or keep searching any field I come across?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineseeingeye
stranger thanyou

Re: New Hunter's Luck...then frustrated [Re: seeingeye]
    #4306158 - 06/17/05 01:45 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, no tips or even words of encouragement? :confused:  Oh well, I will hunt until I find more since I'm out there every night anyway.

I've decided to focus on fields where I know there are plenty of cows.  In the one where I had my first find there didn't seem to be any cows and the shrooms grew not directly from a pile, but probably enriched soil, so this makes want to check even old fields that obviously haven't been used in years, which brings up a question:  Any idea how long a field will produce with no cows?

Any other Alabama hunters having luck lately?

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
    #4306176 - 06/17/05 01:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you should probobly just keep checking this forum until soemone from alabama finds cubes. until then just check the fields after a good rain.

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#4306206 - 06/17/05 01:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, you should probably dance the rain dance :smile:

--------------------

Offlineseeingeye
stranger thanyou

Re: New Hunter's Luck...then frustrated [Re: ivi]
    #4306742 - 06/17/05 07:04 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well, my first find was some Bama cubes a week ago, just surprised I haven't come across any more.  We had a good soaking over the weekend thanks to that tropical storm, but still no shrooms that I can find. Now it looks like it will be dry here for another week. :frown:

I'm curious, anybody have experience finding any when there's high humidity but no rain?

OfflineEnvirorational
Environmentalist/ Father

Loc: Dorawoodycross
    #4306970 - 06/17/05 11:09 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Keep your head up.  They will come back, if not tomorrow or next week, they will come back some time.  There were many times when I would return from a field empty handed on days that should have been perfect.  Also, you might want to consider other hunters.  If it is a popular passtime in your area, some people may be beating you to them.  In that case, it just takes more thorough hunting to get what others missed.

As for humidity ... We would find cubes along the edges of marshy areas consitently, whether it had rained or not, but I can't remember having much luck in dry fields during humid weather.  Maybe the occasional shrivled friend, but nothing to write grandma about. 

:smile:

--------------------
Expand Society with Knowledge - ESK

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: New Hunter's Luck...then frustrated [Re: Envirorational]
    #4307372 - 06/17/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Envirorational said:
Also, you might want to consider other hunters.  If it is a popular passtime in your area, some people may be beating you to them.  In that case, it just takes more thorough hunting to get what others missed.
:smile:

Good advice. I used to go to a field that was very popular, but i always came out with a good load of small cubes that were hidden in the grass. One time i remember, i saw someone else in the field who just found a bucket full of cubes. He told me he cleared the field out, and even offered me some out of pity, but i said "no thanks" and continued on my own little hunt. I found about a bucket and a half of little ones that he completely overlooked. :shocked:  :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification