Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Potato Dextrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars...
    #4201837 - 05/21/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

So I PCed some syringes and quarts of water...and I was in a rush. After being PCed for 30 minutes, I let the PC cool, then open it and pulled out the quarts and set them out for 30 minutes on the counter. They were still pretty warm and I wanted to get going on the syringes that night..so I decide to throw them into the fridge. As I'm going to set both quarts on the shelf, before it touches the shelf, the bottom falls right off the quart jar and the water went everywhere. The other one was fine when I set it on the shelf, but I removed it right away just in case.

I've force cooled jars before without issue, but you have to be carful, you may not see a structural flaw in the glass, that coulda been a bigger mess then just soaking my fridge..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4201862 - 05/21/05 01:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

DOH! Weak dude, sorry  :shrug:

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4201865 - 05/21/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

you are finaly getting HARDCORE.

You are not, until you have had THE BOTTOM FALL OFF A FEW JARS.

Just fall off... no whacking, shaking, or nada.

--------------------

Offlinewaixingren
Male

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4201952 - 05/21/05 02:05 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

lol damn dude.

--------------------

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: agar] * 1
    #4201986 - 05/21/05 02:23 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

i must be ultra hardcore. i think it was october of 99 or 00 when i pulled the rocker off my pc and let it blow it's steam. a short while later, i pulled a quart of pda out of the pc with tongs, so that it would cool faster. it was past midnight and i wanted to pour my dishes, so that they would be ready to use in the morning.

the jar popped (sounded like popping a plastic sandwich bag) right after it was out of the pc. i didn't even get a chance to set it down. a quart of pda covered the tiles of the kitchen floor....and my feet. a searing pain shot up my legs, since i was standing in a puddle of boiling hot agar. i also had burning hot agar droplets all over my body (i was in only my underwear; good thing i was wearing them or i would have burned something very important). i probably would have started crying, but the pain quickly escalated to a whole new level.

the pain of the burning agar was unbearable and i tried to get out of the kitchen, but agar is very slippery and it had semi-solidified on the floor. moving on that floor was worse than trying to run barefoot on ice. i slipped and fell flat on my back. when i fell, a nicely sized shard of glass became lodged in my left buttock. my arm also got cut while i was crawling around, slipping in the hot agar/glass mixture on the floor. somehow, i finally made it out of the agarized kitchen of death.

the worst part of the whole ordeal was a toss up between the full-body burns & cleaning up the agar, which was under the fridge, dishwasher, and in every crack of the whole kitchen.

force cooling jars = bad, dangerous idea x 10

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: agar]
    #4201997 - 05/21/05 02:31 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

I hope whacking LC jars isn't a common practice.

Stroking on the other hand, now I can see that - but whacking... just seems wrong somehow.

[c:=

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: eric_the_red]
    #4202058 - 05/21/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

:shocked: :lol::lol::lol:

Wholly shit Eric.  That sounds like a bad scene from a horror flick.

Scarry shit.  Sorry, I'm sure you don't find it too funny having a scar on your ass.  :ass:

But damn  :lol:

:microwave:

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4202060 - 05/21/05 02:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

sorry man, but i had to laugh so hard at your accident.  you just put it very funny.  :lol:  i could picture the whole thing!

which was worse, the pain of the scalding agar or the pain of knowing you are going to have to clean up the mess and restart?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Edited by TODAY (05/21/05 03:10 AM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4202078 - 05/21/05 03:00 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:
Quote:

agar said:

i must be ultra hardcore. i think it was october of 99 or 00 when i pulled the rocker off my pc and let it blow it's steam. a short while later, i pulled a quart of pda out of the pc with tongs, so that it would cool faster. it was past midnight and i wanted to pour my dishes, so that they would be ready to use in the morning.

the jar popped (sounded like popping a plastic sandwich bag) right after it was out of the pc. i didn't even get a chance to set it down. a quart of pda covered the tiles of the kitchen floor....and my feet. a searing pain shot up my legs, since i was standing in a puddle of boiling hot agar. i also had burning hot agar droplets all over my body (i was in only my underwear; good thing i was wearing them or i would have burned something very important). i probably would have started crying, but the pain quickly escalated to a whole new level.

the pain of the burning agar was unbearable and i tried to get out of the kitchen, but agar is very slippery and it had semi-solidified on the floor. moving on that floor was worse than trying to run barefoot on ice. i slipped and fell flat on my back. when i fell, a nicely sized shard of glass became lodged in my left buttock. my arm also got cut while i was crawling around, slipping in the hot agar/glass mixture on the floor. somehow, i finally made it out of the agarized kitchen of death.

the worst part of the whole ordeal was a toss up between the full-body burns & cleaning up the agar, which was under the fridge, dishwasher, and in every crack of the whole kitchen.

LOLOL That's a f%$#ed up situation...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: TODAY]
    #4202143 - 05/21/05 03:23 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
sorry man, but i had to laugh so hard at your accident.

laugh all you want.
i laugh about it too.
i wish i had it on video.

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4202200 - 05/21/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:

the jar popped (sounded like popping a plastic sandwich bag) right after it was out of the pc. i didn't even get a chance to set it down. a quart of pda covered the tiles of the kitchen floor....and my feet. a searing pain shot up my legs, since i was standing in a puddle of boiling hot agar. i also had burning hot agar droplets all over my body (i was in only my underwear; good thing i was wearing them or i would have burned something very important).  i probably would have started crying, but the pain quickly escalated to a whole new level.

:shocked: jesus christ dude!

--------------------

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4202209 - 05/21/05 03:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:

agarized kitchen of death.

It's made me laugh 5 times now. You should write comedy skits about mushroom cultivation.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: Kalix]
    #4202437 - 05/21/05 05:38 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kalix said:
Quote:

eric_the_red said:

agarized kitchen of death.

It's made me laugh 5 times now. You should write comedy skits about mushroom cultivation.

:lol: :thumbup: i totally agree

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #4202736 - 05/21/05 10:25 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I've had quart jars break while in the pc. What a mess! They always seem to break at the bottom just like yours.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4202793 - 05/21/05 10:59 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eric_the_red said:
Quote:

agar said:

Wow man! Like I said, mine could have been MUCH worse. As sorry as I am that happened to you, I hope some people learn from that...to many believe that just because theyve force cooled some jars before that its ok to do... I certainly wont be doing that again...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #4202801 - 05/21/05 11:04 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Just fall off... no whacking,

I just got done knocking the bottom out of the ole lady. It took a little whacking

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4203102 - 05/21/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You quaily as HARDCORE..... with that one - FOR SURE.

On VIDEO..... that one would have made you big bucks.

Once.... fell asleep on a PC run, blew out overpressure plug on an AA 931 full of h/poo in autoclave bags......... which plastered about 10 lbs of ....HOT STEAMING H/POO GOO on the kitchen ceiling at 28 PSI.

Another time trying to jury rig a 50 gallon size autoclave, I used a copper fitting, THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN STAINLESS STEEL. First time I pressured it up to 30 psi......fitting BLEW OFF..... whistled past me like a 50 caliber bullet & went STRAIGHT THROUGH THE WALL :eek:, making a hole the size of a quarter :eek:.

Ordered 12X24X24 nuke grade Upla filter off eBay for $199. Filter arrived via UPS, noticed small hole in box, unpacked it, filter had an arrow size hole in it. Contacted sellor to bitch, sellor directed me to return it to UPS, as he had INSURED IT & would refund PURCHASE PRICE.

Turned out to be insurance scam on UPS, as it was insured for $1000. Found out same sellor had shipped 10 + of those filters to differant buyers, ALL with same type damage & tried to collect over $10,000 of insurance from UPS on all of them. Sellor was prosectuted, I lost $200, + s/h.

NONE beat your agar story.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

#4203632 - 05/21/05 03:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

50 cal fitting death would not be good.  damn agar, you are nuts :crazy:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4203648 - 05/21/05 03:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
50 cal fitting death would not be good.  damn agar, you are nuts :crazy:

Older & wiser now & that was years ago. Had a 50 gallon size air compressor reciever tank that was built to take 150 psi & tried to convert it to a huge 30 psi autoclave.

Anno warned me & I should have listened.

--------------------

OfflineShrewms
Stranger
Re: This is why you shouldnt force cool your jars... [Re: waixingren]
    #4203950 - 05/21/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Eric the Red, That is some funny shit!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Potato Dextrose

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation