Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
A note on disaster. Mycilium Suffication on Rye
    #4200470 - 05/20/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So afoaf had a few qt jars with rye with only one hole punched in the middle lid. Then paper medical tape was put over the hole and p.c. . Steam poured through the paper tape as it left the p.c. so I knew it had some breathability. All the jars where stored in a closet with a digial inside/outside thermonitor. The long wire was inside the closet and the digital face was outside it. Anyhow the rye barely colonized and eventually started to get that greasy looking contam. Rye should only take 3 weeks tops to fully colonize. 3 weeks into the project my friend had few white specks. Garbage. What could have went wrong? Was it the fact the rye wasn't getting enough air exchange or does it need to colonize in a humid heat rather than a dry one. The temp stayed at a steady 82-87 degrees F. with an electric heater. I think they sufficated cause when my friend use those tyvek filters off that one site, they colonized. They were also in a different incubator with a fish aquarium heater underneith and a few towels inside the second rubbermaid container. Few things I noted, A. it is important to cover the jars with tyvek filters with foil right from the start. BEFORE pressurecooking. B. Using the metal lid and a tyvek filter is pointless. Just use the filter. The web site my friend bought his filters from never said use the metal lid. That's because they don't! It worked fine. C. Always simmer your rye in distilled water until some of them pop. Let a few pop but not too many. It makes it easyer for the spores to access the food inside but too many popped will make sludgy rye. D. When going to the health food store to buy rye, tell them you make beer and rye beer is YOUR FAVORITE! haha. Peace reply to whatever. Just rabbaling on....stoned

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: A note on disaster. Mycilium Suffication on Rye [Re: Rudiger420]
    #4200510 - 05/20/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

how big were the single holes in the lid? I have some rye jars i am starting up for the first time and they just came out of the PC. they use the metal lid with large breather hole, and tyvek over the top design.

also was your tyvek over the top or under the metal lid?

Edited by Mych (05/20/05 06:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation