Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Unable to format
    #4196407 - 05/19/05 05:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

So i have a spare hard-drive connected to my system, i recently installed windows XP on my other drive. I moved all my wanted files over from my C: (the drive i was going to format) drive to my D: drive.

Once everything was in place, i was ready to format. So i used the simple method of right clicking on the drive and then clicking format. I first attempted a quick format, with no avail. So then i attempted a standard clean format, which one finished i get the same error "Windows was unable to complete format"

So then i decided to manually delete everything on the drive until i get an error telling me that it is unable to delete a certain file/program because it's in use (which tell's me that something is running off the h/d, which would solve my problem). I managed to delete the whole drive (windows folder and everything) until it was completely wiped. I then tryed again and experienced the same error. As the drive is already wiped, you may wonder why i still must format. Well, as i have two OS systems installed, each installed on separate H/D's, every time i boot my system it still asks me which OS system to use.

After these failed attempts, I then tryed a different method, i booted my computer in safe mode WITH command prompt. I then used the command "format c:" followed the instructions and then it was on it's way to formatting. After completing the format i get the error "System partition is not aloud to be formatted". Now I'm thinking of booting from my OS CD and deleting the partition in the setup, which is very much possible, but before i do this... any ideas?

Thanks,
Mushie Man  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Unable to format [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #4196441 - 05/19/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

try partition magic, i think there's a trial period. can't remember if it'll let you use the features tho, if not cracks.am has it.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4197237 - 05/19/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Did you install Windows XP while your C drive was hooked up to your computer? If you did & your C drive had an operating system on it that would explain why it would not let you delete the partition. When you install Windows XP while another operating system exists (eventhough you have two hard drives) it installs the system partition (boot files) on the original "operating system" partition and the boot partition (system files) on the other hard drive (in your case) this is why it will not let you delete the system partition, because Windows XP is still using it. This is done for Windows XP multi-boot manager. If this partition would somehow get deleted Windows XP would not boot.
If this is your setup reply back & I can give you a solution.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4197757 - 05/20/05 12:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just start with a boot disk into DOS and use the DOS utility fdisk. You should be able to figure it out once you are in the interface. Just erase your partitions, create a new primary partition and use dos command format c:. Make sure you can install WinXP from scratch.

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: Unable to format [Re: BigGameHunter]
    #4198462 - 05/20/05 08:13 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the help. Here's whats happened..

One problem has now lead to another, i used partition magic to delete the partition on my C drive. Which it successfully did, but once i rebooted, windows would not boot (as BigGameHunter mentioned but i have only just been able to read his post, after re installing XP on my C drive) Now i don't even get the choice to select which OS i would like to use. Luckily i still have my files on my D drive, I'm presuming its just missing the boot files.

Here's where my drives are at the moment..

C: - Has a new installed OS which i am using at the moment.

D: - Has second OS system installed, but will not boot. Still has my files and such.

What i want my drives to be..

C: (60GB) - Wiped clean and ready for files to be installed from my D drive.

D: (20GB) - Has OS system installed, but all my files transferred over to my C drive.

Idea's on how to solve this problem..

Move all my wanted files off my D drive to my C. Shut down, disconnect the C drive, then reinstall my OS on D. Once finished, reconnect my C drive and move all my wanted files back over to my D drive. Then again, use partition magic to format my C drive (hopefully this time it should work due to my OS on my D being installed separately) Reboot, and hope my D drive boots up successfully. Then just move all my D files back over to my C.

Kind of hard to get you're head around, but any idea's on how to solve this before i proceed?

Thanks again
Mushie Man

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4200615 - 05/20/05 06:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like what you have posted is what you will have to do. Depending on what version of Partition Magic you have you may be able to copy your entire partition (files & OS) onto your D drive & then boot to your D drive & format your C drive & then copy back over your files. This is probably more dangerous for data loss than your way & it may even take longer because you would be copying the booted partition. So I would recommend doing it the way you have posted. Whenever you want your D drive to boot, you'll need to change the jumpers on your drives to make the D drive master & C drive slave (if you are using this configuration & if they are on the same controller)since you now will have two bootable drives it will try to boot to the master first

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology