Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecosmicpirate
Doppelganger

Can't format hard drive
    #4557613 - 08/20/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have windows ME which is the worst OS on the face of the earth as far as crashes etc...  But that's not the problem, or at least I don't think so.

I am trying to completely clear my hard drive and then reinstall the OS, so it will be in the original configuration as when I took it out of the box. 
  I am doing this to start fresh and because I want to get rid of some files I don't want on there.

The comp will do a low level format fine (leaving all the software and other junk files I don't need on there) but it will not do a complete format.
I have been using the recovery disks to do these formats as I am not sure if there is another type of format I can do to completely clear it, then reinstall the OS.  I only have the HP system recovery disks which came with the comp and not a separate ME OS cd.

When I run the total format, the comp usually stops shortly after starting and says that 'there may be physical errors on your disk and cannot proceed.) and then I have to start all over again.  Well I also cannot do a 'thorough' scan disk to correct erros as it usually freezes after scanning 1/8 of the disk for errors.  I CAN do the basic scandisk and that always finds physical errors that it corrects.  It is a maxtor 700 HD btw.

I used a universal diagnostuc hard drive software program on the web by western digital to try and fix the physical errors and it said it fixed the errors. But when I tried to do the total format again using the recovery cd's, it stopped and said that 'the recoverey cd may be damaged' and aborted.
  I checked the cd and it looks fine.

I also downloaded windows washer and was going to delete files one by one, but this will be a tedious task and I was thinking about using WW total format function, but I am not sure if I will be able to reinstall the OS from the recovery disks?

Any advice other than plugging the tower in and throwing it in the bath tub just to see what happens? :eek:

peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebwalker
The BodyElectric
Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: cosmicpirate]
    #4557620 - 08/20/05 03:38 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://dban.sourceforge.net

Usually used to securely wipe a drive, but if you have nothing to lose, run a few quick random passes on the drive to destroy the MBR and everything else on there. Then run an fdisk on it.

You can burn and boot from a CD or a regular floppy, whichever suits your setup.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4557948 - 08/20/05 07:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you go to maxtors web site, they have a utility you can download to test the drive. Most likely, your hard drive is starting to fail and will need to be replaced.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: Seuss]
    #4558109 - 08/20/05 10:10 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you go to bootdisk.com they have copy's of floppies to boot your computer for most installs, there should be an fdisk program on it for formatting and partitioning your hard drive.
Just to let you know with windows M.E. that you will have sys your hard drive after formatting and repartitioning.

Hope this helps

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

InvisibleBully
CheapShot-SinisterStrike
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: Seuss]
    #4558246 - 08/20/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Most likely, your hard drive is starting to fail and will need to be replaced.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #4558538 - 08/20/05 12:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the hard drive sounds toasted.

You should also destroy your windows me disk and shred any documentation that came with it.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: baraka]
    #4558867 - 08/20/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

www.ultimatebootcd.com

Save yourself some time tracking down all these different boot utilities and just get them all on one disk :smile: It's got HD diagnostics, wiping tools, partition tools, format tools, a bootable linux distro, you name it.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: baraka]
    #4558992 - 08/20/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

baraka said:
the hard drive sounds toasted.

You should also destroy your windows me disk and shred any documentation that came with it.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4560372 - 08/20/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Replace the hard drive.

Invisiblecosmicpirate
Doppelganger

Re: Can't format hard drive [Re: BigGameHunter]
    #4561590 - 08/21/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling this baby is on it's last circut and is barely hanging as she makes a mean loud click/spin/skipping type noise when I first fire her up for the day. She's taken quite a few jolts from power surges and I think that fried the HD up a bit.

I am pretty sure I tried maxtor's diag tool, and it wasn't even able to locate my hard drive, so that's why I had to use the WD tool. But will try again to make sure.
I'll DL the boot utils for future use though.

I was thinking about getting another HD and try installing myself... I remember seeing an internal 120 gig for $50 after rebates.

peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology