Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerooster
journeyman
obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes
    #417567 - 10/08/01 02:16 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i've been reading through the archives, and I have a question i hope someone can answer.

I've read through the PF and MMGG teks, and have read the major threads posted when people ask casing questions, and I feel I have a good understanding of how to build a good grow terrarium. But I've never seen the idea of "flushing" the cakes/casing explained simply for a beginner like me. I'm planning on letting half of my cakes grow out and I'm going to try casing with the other half. What should I do to them between flushes to increase yields. My impression now is that once the biggest fruits start to break their veils, you just pick off everything (including pins/immature mushrooms), and then you wait. i've heard "dunking" used as a method for increasing yields for cakes. does this just mean boiling some water, letting it cool, then letting the cakes sit submerged for 6-8 hours? What about for casings?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejuicer
Stranger
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: rooster]
    #418338 - 10/08/01 02:26 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

From what I understand, although I've never not cased my cakes, is that you can increase yields by dunking the cakes for a minimum of 12 hours (not to exceed 24hrs) in distilled water. If you soak them for more than 24 hrs you run the risk of drowning your cakes. After 48 hrs they'll be dead for sure. as for casing cakes, there are two things that I've done that have worked well depending on the situation. Either add some more water and increase the RH% and wait or (and this is not the kosher way) scrape off the top of the casing layer and add a new moist casing. I did this when casing with peat since it got hard and tough like parched soil that needs to be spaded. I also did this when the mycelium took over too much of the casing layer thus rendering useless as a casing layer. Mind you that this second method can lead to contam if you're not careful. However, I have found it useful and more effective than anything else I've tried.

OfflineMushroomMatt
Loc: Troy, NY - USA
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: juicer]
    #418353 - 10/08/01 02:41 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, waitaminute-when the biggest ones' veils break, you harvest the entire cake? Not just the ones with broken veils? Can someone confirm this?

To see a world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wildflower-
To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour

--------------------
[blue] To see a world in a grain of sand [/blue]
[green] And Heaven in a wildflower- [/green]
[red]To hold infinity in the palm of your hand [/red]
[purple] And eternity in an hour [/purple]

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: MushroomMatt]
    #418357 - 10/08/01 02:47 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

When the majority of the pins break their viel them pick the cake/casings dry. If one matures faster than the rest you can either grow it out or pick it when the viel breaks. It is ok to pick a few odd shrooms here and there but it is important to pick the whole flush at once when the majority of the pins are mature.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

InvisibleSandanista
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: phrozendata]
    #418710 - 10/08/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

What is the reasoning for this?

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: Sandanista]
    #418806 - 10/08/01 08:51 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

even flushing and reduced trauma on the cakes

i can believe its not butter but why would you do that
http://go.to/freesporering

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

Offlinemew
Re: obtaining (large) 2nd-4th flushes [Re: fuzzysquirelnuts]
    #418841 - 10/08/01 09:20 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Ya don't have ta wait for the veil to break before harvest ,mostly if ya want a print outa it if picked before theoreticaly it would save nutrients etc for other pins mycelia to use for subsequent flushes .Mew

support the FSR

--------------------
support the FSR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix