Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
So my salvia has started to flower
    #4159401 - 05/10/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I havn't looked at these plants in a while and just noticed this today. These plants were attacked by scale and whitefly in my glasshouse so I planted them out a couple of months ago.

I'll be sure to update this thread.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: faslimy]
    #4159421 - 05/10/05 10:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Holly bajeesus!

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #4159431 - 05/10/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Very pretty!

User Gallery

#4159440 - 05/10/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

How large and old is your plant? Did you let it grow un touched for a couple years?

--------------------

InvisibleBurke Dennings

#4159730 - 05/11/05 12:05 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Very nice! I hope my plants do that well some day...

--------------------
This will not go undocumented.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4159944 - 05/11/05 12:58 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

There are 3 plants in flower which are not really in good health at all, like I said they were severly attacked by scale, whitefly and also green caterpillars.

They are around 6 months old from cuttings.

Here is a picture of one of the plants after being topped and before the pests found it.

If seeds are a possibility I would love to send them out to people as I have little interest in propagating it. There are around 20 flower heads so far.

Edited by faslimy (05/11/05 12:59 AM)

User Gallery

#4160075 - 05/11/05 01:22 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thats great to hear. I was wondering what do ou feed them? And did they expierience any temperature variations?

--------------------

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4160318 - 05/11/05 02:21 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yah bugs love saliva, my garden pests only attack the saliva plants... even though I grow over 20 different kinds of plants?

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4160409 - 05/11/05 03:00 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone know what happens with smokeing the salvia flower? Is this something that is active? Any experience here?

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: emptywisdom]
    #4160502 - 05/11/05 03:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Nice one dude!!! I'm keen to see the finished result...mine probably woulda done that by now if I hadn't been forced to cut them back for transport a couple of times...one day though :smile:

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: zee_werp]
    #4160776 - 05/11/05 06:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

A good idea would be to try and pollinate them manually using a toothpick with some cotton on the end....

Would you like some info? Here is a 5 star page http://www.sabia.com/salvia/ .Visit it and you will read things you cant read on erowid :laugh:

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: Psiloman]
    #4160806 - 05/11/05 07:17 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Anyone know what happens with smokeing the salvia flower? Is this something that is active? Any experience here?

what? salvia with a flower and all u can think of is smoking it??
barbarian!!
(lol)

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4160832 - 05/11/05 08:06 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hhehehe...Maybe some people are so eager to get "high" that they miss the bigger picture....

Its an excellent opportunity for seeds and photographs ,not for smoking a hybrid that rearely flowers and even more rarely sets viable seed!

From the page that i gave you ,there are some very interesting observations on flowering and how it is induced.I quote them here :

Quote:

Flowering of S. divinorum, as in many forest understory species, is promoted by sunlight, and the extent of flowering of a given population is dictated by the amount of sunlight that penetrates the canopy. We saw our first flowering population of S. divinorum (Reisfield & Solheim 1093) near the village of Chilchotla (1200 m). The plants colonized the banks of a broad, shaded ravine with several pools of standing water. The channel of the ravine was mostly without vegetation and almost certainly flooded during wetter periods. The vegetation suggested a transition between cloud forest (e.g., Hedyosmum, Liquidambar) and tropical evergreen forest (e.g., Syngonium and other Araceae), and climatic data (Garcia 1973) indicates that this area is extremely humid, with an annual average of 472 cm of rain. This flourishing population of plants appeared to be clonal, spreading vegetatively in the same fashion as populations observed previously. Inflorescence rachises past the flowering stage were again entirely naked, and not a single mature nutlet was found. The beautiful white and violet flowering stems, found only in patches where sunlight penetrated the canopy, were very conspicuous. This observation suggests the main distinction between this and previous sites where populations of S. divinorum were found. The breadth of this ravine allows a greater penetration of sunlight, while the extreme humidity of the region prevents even sunny microhabitats from drying out. It is this interplay between sunlight and humidity that apparently dictates the success and the extent of flowering of a given local population of S. divinorum.

Another flowering population (Reisfield & Solheim 1109) was found on a steep face of Cerro Alto, the mountain adjacent to the village of Ayautla. This trailside population formed a thick, shaded stand, with crowded stems over 2 m tall. Flowering branches, up to 3 m tall, rose above the rest and received filtered or direct sunlight. Valdes (1983) reported he collected plants from Cerro Rabon, a somewhat more distant mountain, but our local guide, Pedro Diaz, insisted that he knows "La Maria [S. divinorum] very well, and in 40 years of walking Cerro Rabon, [he] never saw it up there."

Several populations of S. divinorum (Reisfield & Solheim 1102-03, 1106-08) were found on the east-facing bluffs above the village of Cerro Quemado, on the western bank of the Aleman Dam. At roughly 300-400 m elevation, these stands were scattered along a steep trail that winds between the peaks of Cerro Quemado and Cerro Camaron. Some plants were found in a slash-and-burn cornfield, where most of the associated vegetation was disturbed, replacing a tropical evergreen forest with Brosimum, Dendropanax, and Urera. Many flowering stems were found, these always in partial to full sunlight, sometimes dried out to the degree that the leaves were badly wilted.

Climatic data for the nearby village of Ixcatlan (Garcia 1973) indicates that this area is considerably warmer than the highland regions of the Sierra Mazateca, the wilting plants perhaps demonstrating that S. divinorum is here at its limit of evapo-transpiration tolerance. On the other hand, these same populations included more flowering stems than any other, again indicating that flowering of S. divinorum is promoted by sunlight, and perhaps the stress of drying out to a certain degree. This is reasonable in light of the heliotrophic nature of Salvia in general, with mostly species of open ground and with brightly colored flowers. Salvia divinorum, though, with its crisp, watery, easily broken, hollow stems, is clearly a hydrophyte, and most aggressively colonizes sites that are dark and humid. Vigorous, flowering populations are found in conditions of marginal light, and in very humid areas (e.g., Chilchotla), the plants can "venture out of the shade" into the sunlight where they will flower.

Conditions that promote vegetative growth of S. divinorum are different than those that promote flowering, and this is reflected in the character and distribution of populations. The Mazatecs displaced by the Aleman Dam, who now live in the low-lying "tierra caliente" on the eastern side of the dam, have tried, unsuccessfully, to cultivate S. divinorum (Diaz, pers. com.). This region receives similar amounts of rainfall as the highland areas of the Sierra Mazateca, but is warmer, and consequently drier. Thus, in order to gather fresh leaves, some of these Indians travel by boat across the lake to the hillsides near Cerro Quemado, where the populations are at their limit of evapo-transpiration. Throughout the higher, cooler regions inhabited by the Mazatec, flourishing populations may be found in shaded ravines near water, or on mountainsides continuously bathed in fog. In the latter type of site, often a hillside planted to coffee, S. divinorum is almost certainly introduced, and the Mazatecs do this by simply sticking a severed branch into the soil. Though the more remote, aggressive populations along watercourses seem not to have been planted, they may in fact have been introduced long ago. The Mazatecs do not distinguish between wild and cultivated populations, nor do they attach any significance to the flowers.

Close up of S divinorum in wild, stalk and leaves included While Emboden (1979) reported that S. divinorum flowers only when the "branches" [stems] are seven feet or more in length, Valde�s et al. (1987) concluded that plant height is a minor factor in flower initiation. In the Sierra Mazateca, most flowering stems are, in fact, very long, since the stems that elongate the most are most likely to receive direct sunlight. Plants grown in the University of Wisconsin Greenhouses received unfiltered sunlight, and those which were subjected to the short-day treatment flowered profusely on branches of varying lengths.

Flower buds on greenhouse-grown plants were first noted roughly 2 months after the beginning of the short day treatment, and the first flowers did not open until almost one month later. The nearly 3 month lag between the time the plants first perceived the stimulus to flower and the onset of flowering correlates with the results of Valdes et al. (1987), but raises the question of whether any critical threshold period is really perceived by the plants. The type specimen was collected in flower by Hofmann and Wasson on October 8 (I am unaware of the collection flowering in August, referred to by Valde�s), which suggests that these plants perceived the stimulus to flower more than 3 months earlier, that is, in late June, during the period with the longest days of the year. The mechanism responsible for flower induction is apparently not as simple as our greenhouse and growth chamber experiments would suggest, and the actual induction of flower primordia probably involves several factors, including temperature and water regimes. Perhaps the critical stimulus perceived by the plant is an increase in the length of the night per se, an hypothesis that could easily be tested. Flowering plants have been collected from near Cerro Quemado in March, and local villagers insisted S. divinorum flowers most abundantly in March, April, and May, when it is the driest. In light of the conditions that promote flowering during the cool and wet winter, these assertions seem more than reasonable.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4160867 - 05/11/05 08:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great info, Psiloman. Thanks very much!

faslimy - Thanks for sharing the photos. This is exciting, and I hope to plant some of my salvia outside this year, hoping for flowers. I'll have to find the right microclimate in my yard, so I'll probably plant in several locations. Are yours in a shaded area?

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4167318 - 05/12/05 06:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Any more updates?

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4223984 - 05/26/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well Autumn is nearing an end and my salvia plants are continuing to slowly produce these purple, delicate looking flowers, some are developing considerably faster than others. The ground has been consistantly wet the past month or 2. I feel confident that salvia divinorum could thrive in the same position all year round and flower each year.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #4224356 - 05/26/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Very nice!

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: So my salvia has started to flower [Re: neuro]
    #4225288 - 05/27/05 04:07 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Strange, my salivas hate soil that is constantly damp. At least if the soil is very organic, they seem to curl the leave ends with damp soils.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden