Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Aluminum
    #4156507 - 05/10/05 07:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

In a recent thread it was brought to my attention that mycelium will eat through aluminum foil trays while fruiting. This brought me to a thought, and perhaps someone out there will know the answer... Firstly, i assume the mycelium isn't "eating" the foil but rather corroding it with acidic secretions... But since there is aluminum being broken down here, do you guys think there is any aluminum being carried through the mycelia network and eventually into the fruiting bodies? This could be a source of aluminum toxicity, which probably wouldn't be noted immediately, but rather the slow decay of the brain which leads to alzheimers. Does anyone know if this is a possibility? Even lining plastic with aluminum foil would get you the same results if this prooves true... but I believe im just making shit up here, but hey, better safe than sorry (although i don't think you'd be too sorry once you've gone delerious from al. toxicity)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: Aluminum [Re: coolman256]
    #4156515 - 05/10/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

in short: no.

if you can safely eat fruit bodies that are growing off mycelium with mold on them and not be harmed then you are DEFINITELY safe. the mycelium does a pretty good job of only sucking up things that are beneficial to the fruit bodies. which i doubt aluminum is.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4156533 - 05/10/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i assume the mycelium isn't "eating" the foil but rather corroding it with acidic secretions.

yeah that would be a better desciption of what is happening.

Agar and I were just using the term "eating away" loosely.

Quote:

But since there is aluminum being broken down here, do you guys think there is any aluminum being carried through the mycelia network and eventually into the fruiting bodies? This could be a source of aluminum toxicity, which probably wouldn't be noted immediately, but rather the slow decay of the brain which leads to alzheimers. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

I have no idea...but that might be why I'm forgetting things these days!~
lolzz

but...that is a very good question.

I know that my Uncle got alzheimers at 90 years old...til he died at 93.
They used to use Alum pans to cook with...but others in the family didn't get alzheimers.
Who knows.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Aluminum [Re: starseed1066]
    #4156536 - 05/10/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

you eat fruit bodies that are growing off of moldy mycelium? Who and where is it said that this is a safe practice? I thought that greatly depended on the mold/bacteria and it's toxicity in humans. Some molds (like trich I believe) are mushroom pathogens meant to infiltrate the mycelia network and wreck things up a bit... I doubt the aluminum thing is true but it was just a curious inquiry more than anything. But I really dunno about eating fruits off of anything moldy...

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4156537 - 05/10/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Use plastic tray & don't worry about it.

--------------------

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4156539 - 05/10/05 08:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

coolman256 said:But I really dunno about eating fruits off of anything moldy...

a ccording to diver and mushroom john, its a-ok. basically unless its the black stuff (which is next to impossible to get on a fully colonized cake anyway) eat up.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Aluminum [Re: starseed1066]
    #4156545 - 05/10/05 08:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't eat any fruits from contaminated substrates!~

that is asking for trouble...IMHO

I wanna stay healthy...

you do what you like though!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: Aluminum [Re: Roadkill]
    #4156559 - 05/10/05 08:11 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

well technically i've never had any contams :grin: so its no concern of mine...

and no offence, but if diver says he's eaten them with no ill effect and so have some of his friends.. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Aluminum [Re: Roadkill]
    #4156565 - 05/10/05 08:13 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

lol I'm with road on that one, and I'm not too worried agar, was just making an inquiry as to whether or not it was a possibility.  Apparantly it takes years of Aluminum exposure for it to be toxic anyways...  Your plastic trays are lined with foil too, which is what led me to this inquiry to begin with... I could just take up religion too and "just not worry about it" but I like to theorize, to discuss, to learn and to teach, knowledge is power, like they say... thanks for the replies guys :smile:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4156597 - 05/10/05 08:22 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

coolman256 said:
lol I'm with road on that one, and I'm not too worried agar, was just making an inquiry as to whether or not it was a possibility.  Apparantly it takes years of Aluminum exposure for it to be toxic anyways...  Your plastic trays are lined with foil too, which is what led me to this inquiry to begin with... I could just take up religion too and "just not worry about it" but I like to theorize, to discuss, to learn and to teach, knowledge is power, like they say... thanks for the replies guys :smile:

No aluminum foil contacts the substrate.
It is between the nested trays, to hold out light.

--------------------

Offlinecoolman256
z0rz0rz
 User Gallery
Re: Aluminum [Re: agar]
    #4156640 - 05/10/05 08:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

oh :smile: i stand corrected then, i was thinking that you used two for durability but that makes much more sense. ill stick to that in the future (plus i like that size better anyways)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4156678 - 05/10/05 08:49 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: :wink: :mushroom2:
:rolleyes:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom