Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Hotel Rwanda
    #4115460 - 04/30/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

While this may seem more at place in P&L, ethics cannot be removed from politics.

Just got through watching this excellent movie. For those unfamiliar, it was about the tribal clash and subsequent genocide of Rwanda's Tutsis.

Give your "enemy" a demeaning name. It makes it easier to kill something not quite human. In this case the Tutsis were called cockroaches. In WWII, the Japanese were "The Yellow Peril". In Vietnam, it was the "slopes" and the "gooks".

It is also important to completely separate "us" from "them" even though to an outsider there is no appreciable difference.

I was quite flabbergasted how the UN failed to categorize the slaughter as genocide. If they had done so, their charter MANDATED a much bigger role. One million citizens slaughtered does not "count". Yep, just play with the definitions.

Despite the US's big-hearted claim to caring about the Iraqi people, there was no western intervention IN Rwanda. As there was no wealth or strategic "prize", screw 'em.

As Nick Nolte (who plays the UN Commander of a tiny peace-keeping force) says shamefacedly to Paul (Cheadle, the Hotel Manager) after he discovers no help will be forthcoming, "You are not Belgian (The Hotel was owned by a Belgium firm), you are not western, you are not white; you are black. Hell, you are not even a nigger - YOU ARE AFRICAN!"

What is the West's responsibility, if any, in such a conflict?

How can whole masses of people abandon a lifelong morality? Friends were killing friends. As an independent thinker, mob rule and mindset is totally incomprehensible to this poster.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Hotel Rwanda [Re: Swami]
    #4115474 - 04/30/05 07:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

agreed...feer id say of being rubbed out by the "other side" that and lies

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4116042 - 04/30/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This is the basic reality of most of the human race. This alone was enough to debunk the notion that we go into other country to save the people from oppression ect.

Fact is the human race is for the most part fear based. Fear will always cause destruction, one way or the other.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I couldn't talk to many people about love when they were living in fear.

I decided the only thing for me to do for the world and myself was to do the work of becoming fearless myself. I tried survival training, I became a Martial arts instructor. I made lots of money. I found I was still afraid and was capable of striking out in fear whenever my fear was threatened.

Then one day good fortune smiled on me and I had my first extended experience of unconditional love. :mushroom2: It was just long enough to help me see that I was going at it all wrong. I was trying to become unafraid because I was afraid. I now know for myself that If I can find a place of full on unconditional love, even for an instant, fear is banished for a time. In that open space of time I can change myself and the world.  I have been building on that.  :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4116116 - 04/30/05 09:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
While this may seem more at place in P&L, ethics cannot be removed from politics.

Just got through watching this excellent movie. For those unfamiliar, it was about the tribal clash and subsequent genocide of Rwanda's Tutsis.

Give your "enemy" a demeaning name. It makes it easier to kill something not quite human. In this case the Tutsis were called cockroaches. In WWII, the Japanese were "The Yellow Peril". In Vietnam, it was the "slopes" and the "gooks".

It is also important to completely separate "us" from "them" even though to an outsider there is no appreciable difference.

I was quite flabbergasted how the UN failed to categorize the slaughter as genocide. If they had done so, their charter MANDATED a much bigger role. One million citizens slaughtered does not "count". Yep, just play with the definitions.

Despite the US's big-hearted claim to caring about the Iraqi people, there was no western intervention IN Rwanda. As there was no wealth or strategic "prize", screw 'em.

As Nick Nolte (who plays the UN Commander of a tiny peace-keeping force) says shamefacedly to Paul (Cheadle, the Hotel Manager) after he discovers no help will be forthcoming, "You are not Belgian (The Hotel was owned by a Belgium firm), you are not western, you are not white; you are black. Hell, you are not even a nigger - YOU ARE AFRICAN!"

1) What is the West's responsibility, if any, in such a conflict?

2) How can whole masses of people abandon a lifelong morality? Friends were killing friends. As an independent thinker, mob rule and mindset is totally incomprehensible to this poster.

1) Not enough resources their to keep our interests unfortuanetly.... too bad we're pricks about it, and only resovle conflicst provided they meet or exceed our interests. I wonder if anyone is going to have a conflict with that statement and suggest that we genuinly give a shit... national/international policy reflects everything to the contrary... it's sad that more organizations that aren't part of the government resolve humanitarian issues then programs that are a directly sponsored by the government.

2) Through manipulation and acceptance of propoganda... toss in a touch of the ol' human ignorance and you have your classic recipe for war inspired by the creation of a false indifference... Those in power manipulating people are nothing short of pricks :shrug:.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Hotel Rwanda [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4149569 - 05/08/05 10:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think it might be somewhat easier to understand this cataclysm when we take into account the role of red hot radio propaganda in a mystical oral-based culture.

the west? ignorance was probably a factor, diplomats and aid workers are often isolated from the realities of the places they live.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology