Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Genocide
    #11605748 -

Recently, I took a class that dealt intimately with the philosophy of post-structuralism. Basically, I feel that this philosophy is a legitimate one, as far as I can tell. It supports mutual respect and understanding of other people and other cultures. That's something that I think is a very noble accomplishment, and so, my interest piqued, I started to think more and more about post-structuralism outside the class. The issue I have stumbled upon is this:

Given that post-structuralism is becoming a popular philosophy, especially among sociologists and anthropologists, I feel that it should be able to deal with any situation that would arise from two groups of people interacting, or from one group relating to itself. However, a major issue with post-structuralism is that it cannot deal with genocide. I've had a conversation/debate with my professor on this topic, and basically his argument was, "Well, post-structuralism is great, but sometimes you have to abandon it." My question is this, given that a post-structuralist would refrain from passing any moral judgment on a person from a different culture/situation, how do they deal with issues like genocide? Clearly the loss of human life on such a vast scale (millions in the holocaust, thousands in a day in Rwanda, etc.) over such arbitrary issues (in the case of Rwanda the Hutu and Tutsi distinctions are based on things like facial features and height, which means that even a single nuclear family could have members both Hutu and Tutsi) seems to be morally repugnant. Yet any post-structuralist will tell you that the intention of the persons committing the genocide is what determines its moral worth, and therefore outside observers have no place to act to stop the genocide. This just seems like an untenable position to me.

Discuss I guess. Or if you think I've misinterpreted this philosophy, post why. It's tricky and I very well may be confusing myself.


--------------------
The story goes, or the way that I was told
There was a king that always felt too high and then he fell too low
And so he called all the wise men to the hall
And begged them for a gift to end the rises and the falls
But here’s the thing, they came back with a ring
It was simple and was plainly unbefitting of a king
Engraved in black, it had no front or back
But there were words around the band that said
Just know: This Too Shall Pass


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: NobodyCares]
    #11606534 -

You have failed to state why it is morally repugnant as if that were self-evident.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11606573 -

I think genocide is wrong unless directed at the whole of humanity.:heart:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: Icelander]
    #11606636 -

Or at least whole groups. Killing only 90% of a group is emotionally difficult for the survivors. At a certain point, it becomes the moral imperative to finish them off.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11606656 -

Genicidal love.:heart:

I'm contracting with a very large meteor. Should get here about 2012. In time for the party.:hellfire:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: Icelander]
    #11606678 -

Shit! I am starting to believe in that stuff. Just renewed my VISA card. It now expires December 2012. No joke! :whoa:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Genocide [Re: Icelander]
    #11606687 -

Icelander said:
I think genocide is wrong unless directed at the whole of humanity.:heart:



:laugh: :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* genocide. uriahchase 703 9 01/27/05 07:34 PM
by Jellric
* Why The Concept Of White Genocide Doesn’t Make Sense
( 1 2 all )
viktor 918 21 09/14/17 06:59 AM
by beforethedawn
* Survival of the Fittest vs. Genocide
( 1 2 all )
OrgoneConclusion 4,360 33 02/23/08 12:28 AM
by OrgoneConclusion
* The pressure of "white genocide" is caused by a misunderstanding of sexuality lostintimenspc 384 14 05/15/20 09:59 AM
by redgreenvines
* Genocide Realized 368 6 10/18/09 01:54 PM
by MycoUnderground
* War, genocide, starvation. Are these our friends?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Icelander 8,597 87 02/28/08 08:19 AM
by Boots
* "How could the world let the Rwanda genocide happen?" OrgoneConclusion 356 14 03/22/17 05:59 PM
by DividedQuantum
* Christianity, Colonialism, Capitalism and Islam. atomikfunksoldier 2,091 14 07/14/03 07:44 AM
by gnrm23

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
440 topic views. 0 members, 10 guests and 39 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.