Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hookah

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
mucous always in the back of my throat
    #4097538 - 04/26/05 12:31 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i had been smoking cigarettes whilst drunk for a few months, occassionally spilling over to a cigarette every once in a while sober during that time period...so maybe a pack and a half a week. after a couple months i noticed i was getting alot of phleghm and mucous in the back of my throat. i was constantly clearing my throat to try to rid it but it seemed like it would need to be cleared again in a couple minutes. i expected this because smoke is not a good idea to be putting inside your lungs.

well, i quit cigarettes about two months ago and i still get the same phleghm and find myself constantly trying to clear my throat or hack it out. it doesn't even feel like i get any substance to spit out after hacking but i get that uncomfortable "i have to hack it out" feeling a minute after clearing it.

i don't know what's going on here. i was never really a chronic cigarette smoker, very occasional weed smoker, been smoking hookah a bit in the last couple of weeks but disregard that because the hacking and clearing throat problem was going on way before that.

any ideas on what's up? how long did it take you smokers out there to have a clear throat all the time after quitting w/o the need to hack?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: mucous always in the back of my throat [Re: TODAY]
    #4097689 - 04/26/05 01:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It can take months to get over the flegm thing. It may take years for your lungs to heal. It all depends on your age, how long you've smoked, diet, exercise, over all health, etc...who knows... 4 months is the average relapse period for most smokers. If you can last four months you're well on your way to quitting. It will take a while for your body to heal.

The other issue at hand is that you quitting smoking might be coinciding with you getting older and possibly developing allergies or asthma. I didn't develop full blown asthma until I was in my late twenties. I've always had mild allergies but nothing like what I developed later in life. As I've gotton older my allergic reactions to foods has gotten worse too. It's hard to say why you might have flegm. Noone can tell you for sure. The only way to find out is by living healthy and happy. Clean your body. If all else fails then see a doctor.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
    #4111367 - 04/29/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Erm, 3 weeks and its only gotten more noticable since I quit. I have to have much better oral hygiene now. Still glad Im 3 weeks quit though after like 2 years of smoking. : )

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4112433 - 04/29/05 09:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Man, I hear you so bad.

You're describing my reality. I am so sick of that feeling.

I've smoked pot almost daily for the last 2-1/2 years.

I quit for a week here and there, and I'm like "OH GOD THE PHLEGM ISN'T EVEN GOING AWAY" and I end up caving.

There's this OTC I saw advertised called Musonex... I was thinking about giving it a try. It's supposed to cut back the mucous production somehow... might be worth looking into.

In the mean time... my best advice is to try to stay aware of yourself going to do it... when you go to clear your throat, stop yourself... don't spit it up. Just swallow it down and try to ignore the feeling.

That's really all you can do...

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4112551 - 04/29/05 10:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That is normal, to hack up nasty shit after giving your lungs a well deserved break. It's just your lungs attempting to purge the shit that has been caking them for years. I'd say, let it run its course, don't inhibit the clearing with Mucinex.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: mucous always in the back of my throat [Re: Boom]
    #4112558 - 04/29/05 10:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

No, you don't understand. I clear my throat, but nothing ever comes up but white bubbly foam. It's not getting anything out, it's just a habit based on the sensation that there is something to get out...

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: mucous always in the back of my throat [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4112577 - 04/29/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Oh.  I thought you were gettin' out some lung butter. :grin:

I guess that's just mental, more so than something acutally in your throat?  So mucous inhibiting medicine might not do anything in that case...

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: mucous always in the back of my throat [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4113592 - 04/30/05 03:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
Man, I hear you so bad.

You're describing my reality. I am so sick of that feeling.

I've smoked pot almost daily for the last 2-1/2 years.

I quit for a week here and there, and I'm like "OH GOD THE PHLEGM ISN'T EVEN GOING AWAY" and I end up caving.

There's this OTC I saw advertised called Musonex... I was thinking about giving it a try. It's supposed to cut back the mucous production somehow... might be worth looking into.

In the mean time... my best advice is to try to stay aware of yourself going to do it... when you go to clear your throat, stop yourself... don't spit it up. Just swallow it down and try to ignore the feeling.

That's really all you can do...

Musonex has a lot of guanefesin which is an expectorant. It's good stuff.

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4113825 - 04/30/05 07:37 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

well.,.. if you do not smoke, but live in a dusty environment, maybe the smoke help you lungs, instead of the opposite, as you once in a while take a cigarette, your filthy lungs get a placebo, to clean itself? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hookah

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being