Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
pan cyan liquid culture - slow?
    #4095587 - 04/25/05 03:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I created 4 LC jars of pan cyan, and after one week incubating at 82-86F, I see ZERO signs of growth. Am I just being too impatient?

Jars #1 & #2: 100ml distilled water, ~7ml light karo
Jar #3: 90ml distilled water, 10ml compost tea, ~7ml light karo
Jar #4: 90ml distilled water, 5ml light karo, pinch of nutritional yeast

I may also be working against myself in that twice a day I've been taking these out of the incubator and staring at them under light as I monitor them, looking for germination; I've also been shaking/aerating them every other day. I know pan cyan myc is particulary weak - should I not be shaking them, or exposing them to light so often, or is that only a fairly slight/negligable detriment/concern to their growth?

I have to admit I'm just being super impatient, but I did expect to see some indication of growth by now.

However, I wonder how often people get bum syringes?

Thanks for any input - much appreciated!

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Edited by VALIS (04/25/05 03:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: pan cyan liquid culture - slow? [Re: VALIS]
    #4095707 - 04/25/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I've never worked with cyans yet :frown: but I do know that you don't want more than 4% nutrients in a LC intented for cubensis.  If cyans are the same, I'd say you've got way too much food in there... GL bro :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

Re: pan cyan liquid culture - slow? [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #4095834 - 04/25/05 03:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

NeedMoreSleep said:I do know that you don't want more than 4% nutrients in a LC intented for cubensis. If cyans are the same, I'd say you've got way too much food in there...

I think there might be a couple flaws there:

First is that SUGAR is the concern, not nutes in general - so, the established recommendation of 4% karo/whatever is because too much sugar is toxic to myc... apparently the "magic number" is set at 4% here at the shroomery, but I have not seen from what source that originally came from, or to what extent going above becomes increasingly deadly to myc.

Second, 100ml h20 to 7ml karo is pretty darned close to 4%.  I could have gone 96ml h20 to 4ml karo for that "perfect" 4% karo ( but that would not have been 4% _sugar_, see next paragraph. )

Finally, I may be totally wrong here though - but I'm reading the back of the karo I'm using, and it says that there's 13g of "sugars" to 42g of syrup... which tells me is approx 30% sugar.  So even if I went high on the karo, it still doesn't approach the supposed 4% toxic level.

My gut feeling at this point tells me that I should just simply stop pestering those LC jars ( a watched kettle never boils! ), and give them some time... thing is, I really want to see at what point I can actualy first see signs of growth, just for my own knowledge. It's difficult to leave them alone - my girlfriend keeps shouting at me to stop fucking with them!  <grinz>

Quote:

GL bro :stoned:

Thanks man, I get a feeling that I'm gonna need it!

Beers!

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4095944 - 04/25/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I do believe there is a problem. I have not tested my cultures yet, but I made them on I believe 4/15, 4/19 or 4/20...I cant remember without checking..but I made some cubie cultures on the same day. Very fast germination in pans (2 days) before cubies and lots more growth then cubies. In fact theres enough for me to try out the culture tonight or tomorrow.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

#4095988 - 04/25/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Originally I was skeptical of the sources saying 4% is best, but from my own experience 4ml of karo to 96ml of distilled water has shown the best results.  I wish I took pics of my experiments, but I did 6 LC's one time. 2 jars each had 4ml:196ml, 8ml:192ml, and 12ml:188ml light karo:distilled water.  Both jars of 8:192 showed obviously better results to the other two... GL bro :stoned:

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4096005 - 04/25/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

By the way, my karo jars were mixed up 1 tsp per 100ml...25% of what I normally put in.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

Re: pan cyan liquid culture - slow? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4096112 - 04/25/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmmm, maybe cyans like even less nutes than cubes? :shrug:

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4096130 - 04/25/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thats a standard recipe that most use...I just always used 2 tablespoons...it worked fine..but I've seen better cultures from those who use less.

--------------------

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

#4096180 - 04/25/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

K gotcha, I just quit trying to convert metric/imperial in my head a long time ago lol :blazed:

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

#4096184 - 04/25/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:I do believe there is a problem.

Ack.

I'm super certain without doubt that I didn't biff the cultures in any way... plus, I made 4 of them.

Did you shake your pan cyan LC's? How often? And how often did you take them out under light to look at them?

Quote:

I have not tested my cultures yet, but I made them on I believe 4/15, 4/19 or 4/20...I cant remember without checking..

I did the first three on the 18th ( 7 days ago ), and I did the one w/ yeast on the 20th ( 5 days ).

I got antsy and restless the other day, and took the #2 jar ( just karo & h20, nothing else ), and decided I'd see what happened if I tried to cold shock it... I covered it in tinfoil to keep out light, and threw it in the fridge for 24 hours, then put it back in my incubator. A day later, I notice that it's no longer crystal clear, but just a tad murky looking; I figured that was due to some property of cooling down the karo or something; but more noticable is that now I can see some wispy stuff that floats up from the bottom when I swirl the marble just a little bit, then it slowly settles back down. This couldn't possibly be myc could it? More like karo residue or something due to the refridgeration I'm guessing.

Is your pan cyan myc floating around in the jars, or is it settling at the bottom?

Quote:

but I made some cubie cultures on the same day. Very fast germination in pans (2 days) before cubies and lots more growth then cubies.

If it's not too much trouble, could you verify precisely what date you did those cultures? If you did them on the 15th, then perhaps I'm not in too bad shape yet.

Quote:

In fact theres enough for me to try out the culture tonight or tomorrow.

That's really cool, looking forward to seeing your progress with those!

Oh yeah - where'd you get your syringe from?

I'm gonna wait a bit longer then order a new pan cyan syringe, preferably from a different vendor - just in case of the admittedly unlikely scenerio that I got a bum syringe.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4097273 - 04/25/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>Did you shake your pan cyan LC's? How often? And how often did you take them out under light to look at them?

I didnt swirl for two days..then I noticed growth and swirled and check on them every day. They incubate in a closet.

>Is your pan cyan myc floating around in the jars, or is it settling at the bottom?

Settles to the bottom. It started off looking just like a little cloudyness at the bottom, now stringing out more. Doesnt clump as much as cubie myc.

>If it's not too much trouble, could you verify precisely what date you did those cultures? If you did them on the 15th, then perhaps I'm not in too bad shape yet.

No trouble, varified as the 15th. Also shot up a jar at the same time as the two LC's (all three, 1cc spores from sporeworks each) and the quart is more then half done (half filled to begin with).

I know that sporewoks syringe is fine. I've done 2 quarts before, split into 2 dozen quarts. Half contamed and the other half are iffy looking but I've used some as spawn and got pins now. They showed up today on two nice sized, nice looking trays. Three more trays were birthed today too. I see lots of pins though, seems like great genetics so far. I got the Austrailan strain..

--------------------

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

#4097892 - 04/26/05 01:17 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Settles to the bottom. It started off looking just like a little cloudyness at the bottom, now stringing out more.

Whoah, crazy... it's that one LC jar that I threw in the fridge which is now showing that same sort of bottom-dwelling cloudy whisps you describe... it's too fine to take a picture of right now otherwis I'd post a pic.

I'll wait until late tomorrow night to verify... but perhaps that coldshock did the trick! Crazy - I wasn't expecting that to work. I figured the whisps I was seeing were due to the karo being refridgerated.

Did you store your syringes in the fridge before you inoculated?

Thanks for the helpfull info scatmanrav - very much appreciated!

Thumbs-up on what appears to be a succfull first pan cyan cultivation! Super cool!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order