Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
    #4072423 - 04/19/05 11:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

edit: I forgot to put his name in the Subject title.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/POPE?SITE=VALYD&SECTION=HOME

Germany's Cardinal Ratzinger Elected Pope

By WILLIAM J. KOLE
Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, the church's leading hard-liner, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI and called himself "a simple, humble worker."

Ratzinger, the first German pope since the 11th century, emerged onto the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica, where he waved to a wildly cheering crowd of tens of thousands and gave his first blessing as pope. Other cardinals clad in their crimson robes came out on other balconies to watch him.

"Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me - a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord," he said after being introduced by Chilean Cardinal Jorge Arturo Medina Estivez.

"The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers," the new pope said. "I entrust myself to your prayers."

The crowd responded by chanting "Benedict! Benedict!"

If the new pope was paying tribute to the last pontiff of that name, it could be interpreted as a bid to soften his image as the Vatican's doctrinal hard-liner. Benedict XV, who reigned from 1914 to 1922, was a moderate following Pius X, who had implemented a sharp crackdown against doctrinal "modernism."

On Monday, Ratzinger, who was the powerful dean of the College of Cardinals, used his homily at the Mass dedicated to electing the next pope to warn the faithful about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects, ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism - the ideology that there are no absolute truths.

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism," he said, speaking in Italian. "Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards.

Ratzinger served John Paul II since 1981 as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. In that position, he has disciplined church dissidents and upheld church policy against attempts by liberals for reforms. He turned 78 on Saturday.

The new pope had gone into the conclave with the most buzz among two dozen leading candidates. He had impressed many faithful with his stirring homily at the funeral of John Paul II, who died April 2 at age 84.

Ratzinger is the first Germanic pope since monarchs imposed four men from that region in a row in the 11th century.

Just what we need, another religious/politcal leader who claims that there are absolute right & wrong, and it just so happens that everything he believes in is right.

Mentioning that you're humble is rather contradictory, especially after talking about how the cardinals have elected him as the sucessor to the "great Pope John Paul II".

Anyone else's thoughts?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Edited by Twirling (04/19/05 12:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: Twirling]
    #4072430 - 04/19/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This dude is bad news. The other day he delivered the homily at JP2's funeral and denounced liberalism, atheism, agnosticism, marxism and relativism. He thinks the Protestant churches are "deficient" and is a definite gay-hater.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinechemistry
One.
 User Gallery

#4072447 - 04/19/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

warn the faithful about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects, ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism - the ideology that there are no absolute truths

fuck this dude.

--------------------
c h e m i s t r y

Offlinewjames
Phenomenologist

Loc: Europe
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4072459 - 04/19/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Frankly, I think the Catholic Church would benefit from a return to some of it's traditional strengths. It's just a question whether it can do that without getting Fundamentalist. I think Christianity as a religion is one of the best things that's ever happened to the planet. It would be nice to have a guy stand up and say that for a change.

If it gets intolerable you can always convert to Greek Orthodox.

--------------------
"We're all in this consciousness-raising business together."
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
"Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." - S. Dali

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4072465 - 04/19/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

this guy seems like a dumb fuck....what can you expect though

I was just thinking of this.....So, we are told islamic extremists want us dead and have declared a holy war on us. Wouldn't they be hell bent on doing anything they can to destroy our spiritual leaders? A new pope, what a prime chance to kill an opposing religious leader and their followers. There didn't look like there was much security at that pope thing. And with all this bs about security you see on the news when theres a major organized event you think this would have been a major issue they would be talking about....Maybe your thinking well this just happened, so they wouldn't have time to organize, but they knew it was comming soon and I'm sure waiting around for their opporunity would be no problem. just seems a little strange...

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Edited by bellylard (04/19/05 11:59 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4072473 - 04/19/05 11:59 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

He is a real Pope-pourri (sorry, couldn't resist!) of repressive ideals.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4072498 - 04/19/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Can't say I'm surprised. The church seems hell-bent on self-destruction.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: wjames]
    #4072541 - 04/19/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

wjames said:
I think Christianity as a religion is one of the best things that's ever happened to the planet. It would be nice to have a guy stand up and say that for a change.

There have been many, many people who have made that claim. It usually results in the Crusades, Manifest Destiny, or the War on Terror. I personally think forcing the world to accept this theology as truth has created many of the problems we have on this planet. Christianity has had it's positive points; many people use it as a basis for compassion, charity, and understanding of others. Those ideas often get lost amongst people who intend to force absolute right & wrong on the world, which it seems like this guy is going to do.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: wjames]
    #4072585 - 04/19/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The first drug prohibition was against mushroom usage (death penalty) back in the 1500's by the Catholic Church in Central America and continues to this day, spear-headed by fundamentalists.

Hmmmm, you believe in entheogen usage and the Christian religion and tradition... This is an apparently incongruent stance.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: Swami]
    #4072645 - 04/19/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Ratzinger. Zinger of rats. Hmm...

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: Twirling]
    #4073264 - 04/19/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Despite any of his ideological views... don't worry too much. The Catholic of a Church is brilliant for picking popes nearly on their death bed. Why don't we ever pick young popes? It's like we want the people to associate divinity with age, in which case, we can all go to a convalescent home and sing songs about god.

"warn the faithful about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects, ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism - the ideology that there are no absolute truths"

--
Ah, I see, everything supporting god and a threat to Church. I bet the next pope will bring back the crusades and warn against, taoism, buddhism, Muslim doctrine, Pagan's, etc... Is it just me or does it seem that the quality of the popes justs gets shittier with time, instead of better? His ideology, and his duty should be focused on the Church's teachings, not the Church's enemies in terms of concepts; unless the Church is biased in its outlook on the world, and feels it's form of doctrine is superior to other forms, such that need to get into politics.... nevermind. (time for a mini crusade).

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4073274 - 04/19/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I was just going to post on that after seeing his picture on the net. This guy is 3/4 in the grave already. Maybe thats how they stay so old school. The next Pope will be like 95 when he's chosen.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4073285 - 04/19/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

so does this pope fit the revelations predictions of the end of the world and so on. ( damn that isnt worded right)

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4073330 - 04/19/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well, as far as self-fullfilling prophecies go...

I can see it now, he's back on the quest for unification of different religious sects, and is a hard-core neocon in terms of his beliefs, their will be some churches to jump on the bandwagon. He'll suggest a united church in regards to a peace, and more glorified view of god through togetherness, and all those that suggest otherwise, will be viewed as dissenters, and the devil's pawns, and wolfs in sheeps clothing etc...

Primary goal in doing so obviously is greater affluence through greater human resources, as well as filling up the Church's coffers more.

I might as well go up to the Vatican, and wear a shirt that says 666 for the fuck of it, to perpetuate this silly little tale that has grown far too large and dominates our lives throught its influence despite our belief of it. Get ready to see more technological inspired back-asswardness through the church.

Although, granted if I espoused my philosophy on the subject matter, and the goal, I'd be deemed as insane, as they truly don't want the beast to appear, despite what they suggest. They only like the myth of it, and the generalizations of it to keep the sheep in the pasture (or should I say pastor?).

Fun times we're living in  :sad:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4074599 - 04/19/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Habemus Papam :smile:

They couldn't have picked a better man for the job. I think it funny to hear all this bitching about Pope Benedict XVI being so conservative. Imagine that; the pope is Catholic.

Quote:

dangers to the faith: sects, ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism - the ideology that there are no absolute truths

Right on Papa! I hope he is more vocal about this, especially relativism, the mental illness of our age. It's so PC now not to believe in Truth, but you know what... If you don't believe that truth exists, you will never find it. You will be lost, which is forgivable, but the true evil of relativism is that its adherents teach it as if it were true, leading others astray. "The truth is that there is no truth" they say. How profoundly ignorant the relativists.

John Paul II predicted a new Spring time for the Church. Perhaps Benedict XVI will lead us out of the Winter of relativism, protestantism, Marxism, and all other truth denying isms which have plagued the modern era.

Edited by shroomydan (04/19/05 09:17 PM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: shroomydan]
    #4074626 - 04/19/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Habemus Papam :smile:

They couldn't have picked a better man for the job. I think it funny to here all this bitching about Pope Benedict XVI being so conservative. Imagine that; the pope is Catholic.

I suppose that means John XXIII wasn't?

--------------------

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal [Re: chemistry]
    #4074633 - 04/19/05 09:07 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

chemistry said:
Quote:

warn the faithful about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects, ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism - the ideology that there are no absolute truths

fuck this dude.

^^^^^

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4074741 - 04/19/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

what "Truth" are you talking about?

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: New Pope elected - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger [Re: Vvellum]
    #4074765 - 04/19/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The absolute truth of course. The truth will not contradict itself. I posted a lot about this last summer. You could search for it if you want to know more.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4074828 - 04/19/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

uh oh... did I just read the absolute truth? :lol: care to post a link, or provide a bit more info?

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies