Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Peace Corps
    #4047985 - 04/12/05 11:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I hate college, for the past three years i've watched my life go way downhill since it started. More and more i'm feeling like life is a bad thing and i have no purpose or point to being here and alive.

I obviously need a big change. I was thinking maybe if i did something that would help other people, i would feel better about life in general. Rather than feeling like life is empty and i am rotting away in a library - adding no light to this world before i go.

Peace Corps seems like a good way to help people out and maybe find myself in the process? Anybody here ever been in the peace corps or know much about it?? What do u think of it?

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Peace Corps [Re: Help on the Way]
    #4047995 - 04/12/05 11:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Just so you know, Peace Corps almost pretty much requires that you have at least an undergraduate degree....

I plan to spend a year or two doing some stuff for them once after I graduate next year, and have looked into it relatively extensively...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
    #4048003 - 04/13/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I don't personally have any experience, but I have a good friend who was in the peace corps for a few years. She liked it, but know she's joined the forces of greenpeace and said she enjoys it much more. Either way good luck with your future endeavors. shine on!  :sun:

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: Peace Corps [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4048011 - 04/13/05 12:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yea im thinking about doing it after i get my degree

--------------------

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineShagshow
Sit on It

#4048036 - 04/13/05 12:10 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

If you can afford it finish your undergraduate, even if it is at some small no name school. You can be of more service to an organization like greens peace or the peace corps if you have the credentials (not that they really mean all that much when you get down to it). I feel the same way though man, I want to ensure that I don't end up working a 9-5 crap job; I want to do something that will simultaneously put me in a fun environment while helping others in need. Invent something original, patent it and use most of the profits to feed the hungry over in Africa/Asia/wherever its needed..haha

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: Peace Corps [Re: Shagshow]
    #4049915 - 04/13/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

anyone else have any experience with this?

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4049965 - 04/13/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I was they had the "War Corps" that involved traveling to foreign countries where the poor breed like rabbits and can't even afford to feed their own children, all the while spreading AIDS like wildfire.

Yeah.

Standard Issue:

.33 winchester with scope, lever action

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4050028 - 04/13/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I considered the Peace Corps for a while and hunted down a bunch old teachers/professors who I knew had done it, and was extremely discouraged to learn that even though you do things that matter on a small level, in a small area, you are essentially functioning as part of a huge bureaucratic Public Relations wing of the government.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4050042 - 04/13/05 01:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the peace corps do not just accept anyone - you pretty much need a degree and/or experience in agriculture, languages, medicine, etc. If you have such experience and have two years to work hard in a foreign country, then by all means, apply. I have a friend who was in Africa with the Peace Corp.

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: Peace Corps [Re: Vvellum]
    #4051448 - 04/13/05 06:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yea i work hard all the time anyway
seems it would be better to have some good come out of it though

what did your friend think of it?

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4053773 - 04/14/05 10:16 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

greatest experience of her life.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub