Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING
    #4008067 - 04/03/05 09:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING

By "coffin casing", I mean a layer of non-nutritive (pH adjusted vermiculite & peat) sterilized casing mixture covering the complete top, bottom, and sides of a substrate.

One first covers the bottom, and sides of a sanitized container tray with the casing mixture, then add the substrate (which should include optimal delayed release nutrients), then add spawn, and incubate it.

Once the substrate is 100% colonized, complete the coffin by first adding a single layer of sterilized, or boiled (and allowed to cool) polyester spun-bond landscape cloth directly over the top of the substrate.

Then cover that with the same thickness of pasteurized non-nutritive casing cover used on the sides, and underneath it. In effect, you create a contaminate barrier, and moisture reservoir that completely surrounds the substrate on all sides.

The purpose of laying a polyester spun-bond landscape cloth directly over the top of the substrate is as a strong porous barrier between the two, which rhizomorphic threads of mycelium can easily bridge/grow through to the surface, from the actual substrate mass beneath.

When harvesting fruit bodies, the landscape cloth will not allow you to dislodge pieces of the actual substrate from its main body, creating a possible contamination vector. After harvesting, you simply patch any area where the casing cover was dislodged, with more of the same.

Other benefits of "coffin casing" are this. As the substrate produces mushrooms, it shrinks, and pulls away from the sides of the tray. When this occurs, one simply fills those voids with more of the same casing mixture. So-as-to increase the total moisture retention, and distributing capacity of the whole coffin casing structure.

Coffin cased substrates are also amenable to "Hydro-Pumping" type hydration, with a capped small bore aseptic plastic tube with fine holes along its (covered) length laid intermixed in the bottom casing cover, with another capped end extending outside the substrate tray.

One simply alters a pump action type spray mist bottle to accept that tubing. As such, small incremental amounts of sterile water can be pumped directly into the bottom of the coffin casing mixture, as needed. As this hydration system is "closed", it minimizes airborne contamination vectors.

Cased substrate in optimal conditions lose very little moisture via evaporation. The primary moisture loss is due to the formation of fruit bodies, which consist of approximately 90% water by weight.

By immediately weighing harvested mushroom crops, It is simple to calculate how much water they contain. By the same methodology, it is as simple to determine the approximate amount of water that should be replaced.

Thoughts from agar, the idiot savant myco-farmer

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroom_man
Stranger
Loc: Canada, New Brunswick
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: agar]
    #4008203 - 04/03/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

great post, you should do a very detailed Tech. wright-up and put it in the acrives.
This is somthing I will deffintally be trying in the future. I just started doing casings, I'm currentally waiting for the Colnized Rye grain to incubate and spread through the straw, then I'm going to case with a 50/50 mix of Coco Coir/Verm. If this casing works out good, I will start expermenting with different casing mixtures.

--------------------
I have now aquired 5 differen't P. Cubensis varities.

--Cambodean-- (vendor checked out and is well knowen by many here and at other fourms)

--Mexi-Cub-- (Again Vendor is well knowen)
--Thiland Pink Bufflo-- (vendor is well knowen)
--Hawiian Strain
--Origional PF-tech strain

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: Shroom_man]
    #4008282 - 04/03/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice Agar! To be expected from you!

InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: Shroom_man]
    #4008304 - 04/03/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I usally mix 60% coco coir to 40% verm...thats hard to beat as far as casing material...contams are usually minimal also

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: PawPaw]
    #4008482 - 04/03/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i remember reading about something similar to that by hippy a year or two back i think.

he also used some kind of textile to let the myc grow though it before
it actually get to the casing layer which, as you pointed out aswell,
has the great opportunity of not being able to shoot contams right down to the grains, a great deal !

but usually contams are on the downlow for me, but as i said, thats just for me.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: ohmatic]
    #4190681 - 05/18/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

is there any need for covering the sides, or is the outer layer enough to prevent significant pining? ive got one going right now with small amounts of myc popping through along the edge of the top layer but they are not growing down into the side casing. it seems like the side casing is enough to block light and prevent pinning. pinning along the sides of the casing layer should be such that i can allow them to mature, as they will only be an inch below the surface at most and should grow without problems. this is all assuming that there is any side pinning in the future as i am completely in pre-pinning, trying to initiate pins on this bulk coffin double tub.

Offlinesuperwhitez
Stranger
    #4191534 - 05/18/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Can you use fiberglass window screen instead of the landscape cloth?

Offlinepfgdude
Visionary
Male

Loc: Black Rock City
    #6059267 - 09/13/06 10:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone tried this?

--------------------
We swallow with one gulp the lie that flatters us, and drink drop by drop the bitter truth which sets us free.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: COFFIN CASING & HYDRO-PUMPING [Re: pfgdude]
    #6059316 - 09/13/06 11:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You should experiment with it

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #6059325 - 09/13/06 11:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've done staw logs with similar cloth but with no casing, the cloth on its own acts as a casing of sorts without the water holding benefits, it will pin right on the cloth

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #6059474 - 09/14/06 12:02 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

doesnt seem to have been picked up by many.

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom