Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Disappointment
    #3989062 - 03/30/05 07:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As long as we follow a spiritual approach promising salvation, miracles, liberation, then we are bound by the "golden chain of spirituality". Such a chain might be beautiful to wear, with its inlaid jewels and intricate carvings, but nevertheless it imprisons us. People tend to think that they can wear the golden chain for decoration without being imprisoned by it, but they are deceiving themselves. As long as ones approach to sp[irituality is based on enriching the 'self', then its a counter productive approach rather than a creative one.

All the promises we have heard are pure seduction. We expect spirituality to solve all our problems; we expect to be provided with a magical means to deal with our depressions, our aggressions, our sexual hangups. But to our surprise we begin to realize that its not going to happen. Its very disappointing to realize that we must work on ourselves and our suffering rather than depend upon a savior or the magic power of yogic techniques. It is disappointing to realize that we have to give up our expectations rather than build on the basis of our preconceptions.

We must allow ourselves to be disappointed, which means the surrendering of me-ness, my achievement. We would like to watch ourselves attain enlightenment, watch our disciples celebrating, worship ping, throwing flowers at us, with miracles and earthquakes occurring and gods and angels singing and so forth. This never happens. The attainment of enlightenment from the ego's point of view is extreme death, the death of self, the ultimate and final disappointment. Treading on a spiritual path is painful. it is a constant unmasking, peeling off of layers of masks. it involves insult after insult. Such a series of disappointments inspires us to give up ambition. We fall down and down, until we touch the ground until be relate intimately with the earth. We become the lowest of the low, the smallest of the small, a grain of sand, perfectly simple, no expectations.

When we are grounded, there is no room for dreaming or frivolous impulse, so our spiritual practice at last becomes workable. We begin to learn how to make a proper cup of tea, how to walk straight without tripping. Our whole approach to life becomes more simple, more direct, and any teachings we might hear or books we might read become workable. They become confirmations, encouragements to work as a grain of sand, as we are, without expectations, without dreams.

We have heard so many promises, have listened to so many alluring descriptions of exotic places of all kinds, have seen so many dreams, but from the point of view of a grain of sand, we could not care less. We are just a speck of dust in the midst of the universe. At the same time our situation is very spacious, very beautiful and workable. In fact it is very inviting and inspiring. if you are a grain of sand, the rest of the universe, all of space, all the room is yours, because you obstruct nothing, over-crowd nothing, possess nothing. There is tremendous openness. you are the emperor of the universe because you are a grain of sand. The world is very simple, and at the same time very dignified and open, because your inspiration is based upon disappointment, which is without the ambition of the ego.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Disappointment [Re: egghead1]
    #3989091 - 03/30/05 07:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

appreciating sangsara this morning?

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Disappointment [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3989096 - 03/30/05 07:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No, i am utterly disappointed and disgusted with it  :lol:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3989105 - 03/30/05 08:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

burn:heart:burn

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#3989107 - 03/30/05 08:04 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No thanks red, im not into bum love :lol:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3989326 - 03/30/05 09:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

some tucks then
witchhazel is very effective

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#3989404 - 03/30/05 10:48 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Do'nt worry red i dont need witchhazel, ive discovered the universal panacea! :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #3989408 - 03/30/05 10:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3989588 - 03/30/05 11:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Disappointment comes from expectations not being met.

The way to keep from the experience of disappointment is to just expect experiences.

Don't you think more people just experience an inner calling to understand themselves and the world around them better and become seekers? I think it was disappointments of the material world that triggered it for me.

From day one, we are told if just wear these clothes, go to this school, get such and such degree, get this job, hang with this crowed,buy this car, get that home in this neighborhood, blah blah that we will be valued and set for life. The material life dangles it baubles and sets us up for disappointment, because the day comes for some, where we say to ourselves "Is THIS and THAT it?" What if i loose it all but my life breath itself? Then what? :confused: There must be more.

Then some, embark on a spiritual or religious path, whose roads are full of dangling baubles yet again filled with the same promises. And then the disappointments you discuss pop up.

That's why I talk about the no path path. It's you being guided and lead by you and you can't dangle baubles for yourself and have no idea what to expect but an adventure into the unknown of the self and life. There are no promises to make to yourself because you have no idea what to expect, what you may find, what may become of you what may be revealed to you.

To walk through the dark of the self and stumble upon things is quite interesting. Every time you bump and trip, you can look at what was there in your way and the area becomes illumed for you to see more of yourself with.

I had a friend IM me the other night who i parted ways with almost a year ago because it was a non stop of bauble chasing for him and his putting pressure on me to be something I was suppose to be according to somebody. The last one of his was, "I FOUND ORMES, white gold powder used by the ancients to speed up enlightenment and abilities and immortality.  :rolleyes:

I told him that's major cheating if you get something for doing nothing but ingesting elements. Can't you see how you will most likely end up with nothing of value if it does it for you? What if the world runs out of ORMES 5 years from. Then what? You won't know how to be or do without it. Crash and burn!

He was always looking for the quick fix. So in this IM, he goes on about how time is running out to ascend.  :rolleyes: Pressure, Hurry, Buy NOW, the sale on ascension ends Friday. Hurry before its to late and you get left behind. Whaaaaaaaaat is that noise? :crazy:

Then he starts with my needing to look into some keyletonics stuff. I asked "why?" He says, "It will help you speed up your growth." I said, " Did I say I needed help with anything, did I not tell you my life was going rather well, better then ever actually? If I fly any faster I will surpass the speed of light and pass myself on my way to nowhere. Geez Louise! I asked him if he noticed how he was creating a problem for me where there wasn't one.

This is all marketing bahooey. Spirituality and religious paths are all paved with ideas of what is wrong with you and how it can help you. Baubles and the promise of rewards "lie" in wait at every turn.

This is why when I read people talking about treading set paths and their being only "one way" or the one 'right way", I chuckle. How does anyone expect to free themselves when they have to walk a straight line? How does anyone expect to free themselves when they have to stay within the lines on the road?

Do people ask themselves these questions?

Freedom to me is being able to walk in squiggles and run in spirals and to hop or jump or go backwards and sideways or just stand still and rest for a time. It's being able to go off the clear and paved path and into the jungles and forests and deserts of life. That's freedom baby!

I wonder how many buying into religious and spirituality vacation destination packages realize the Faustian bargains they are actually buying into. Granted the glossy brochures of where the travel agent can take you look so pretty. They will give you easy directions to follow for how to get there.  He got offended when I told him, " I choose to go my own no way way, thank you very much". To each his own.

Good post topic and I just wanted to add another perspective on it.  :thumbup: :sun: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology