Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCACA
veteran
About a Dry-Looking Casing
    #397050 - 09/17/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

What of the mycelium that looks like feathers or cotton growing from under the Jiffy Mix casing? Does this mean that this stuff is dry? I didn't use vermiculite, but I did use the same water ratios. This might be a problem. When I begin humidifying the terrarium, will this help my casing with a possible moisture problem? When I cut the pieces of the cakes up, it felt really light and dry, so I am thinking that this might be bad. Is it? What ever shall I do?

:frown: I believe in Mr. Grieves ! Also, everything in the above post is entirely fictional, like PC !

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: CACA]
    #397582 - 09/18/01 03:47 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Someone please help. I would like to apply any help/assistance asap.

:frown: I believe in Mr. Grieves ! Also, everything in the above post is entirely fictional, like PC !

--------------------
"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." John 15:5

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #397684 - 09/18/01 06:31 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

If my cakes feel a little dry, i just mist the casing a bit more. A casing will look dry if its dry, and misting will solve that problem pretty quickly - too dry is easier to remedy than too wet!!

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #397722 - 09/18/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

So I should mist the casing? How many mists and how? I've read about people and misting and about how there is a wrong and right way to go about it. You say "a bit more", but I have never misted the casing. Right now, I still have the seran wrap on the trays. It has been a week now I think .. maybe less. I was going to humidify with perlite. Do you still recommend that I mist the casing ?

--------------------

OfflineSir Tokes-A-Lot
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
    #397738 - 09/18/01 07:25 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

where the hell do you find jiffy mix?

God Bless America

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If god liked midgets, he woulda made 'em come on stilts." - ChemicalMonkey

--------------------

"If god liked midgets, he woulda made 'em come on stilts."- ChemicalMonkey (The Early Years)

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: Sir Tokes-A-Lot]
    #397741 - 09/18/01 07:28 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Wal Mart

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #397788 - 09/18/01 08:22 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS!?!???? Hey, Dimitri, look how far along I've come =)

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #397792 - 09/18/01 08:28 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Does it feel dry? It should feel moist. If not give it about 10 sprays with a hand sprayer.

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: puscle]
    #397807 - 09/18/01 08:45 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Are you talking about the whole casing? When I cut the cakes, they were definitely dry. They felt like styrofoam. Isn't the top layer supposed to be dry? Guess not. Ten sprays on the the whole casing? I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineDeathCapChick
journeyman
Loc: State of Euphoria, USA
    #397812 - 09/18/01 08:51 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

You put the top layer on dry?

-DCC

...And the Eyes of the World are watching you now...watching you now...
-P. Gabriel

--------------------
...And the Eyes of the World are watching you now...watching you now...
-P. Gabriel

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: DeathCapChick]
    #397813 - 09/18/01 08:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Yes..?

--------------------

InvisibleNDK
    #398049 - 09/19/01 06:25 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

You're supposed to cover substrate (cakes in your case) with casing with c.80% moisture content.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: NDK]
    #398079 - 09/19/01 07:34 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

yeah - mate you want the casing to be moist but not wet - no harm done, just spray the casing until it looks damp - a little more to give the cake a bitta moisture...Then sit back, keep it damp and watch those rhizo's pop up!

www.shaman-australis.com/shroom/

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
Re: About a Dry-Looking Casing [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #398177 - 09/19/01 11:53 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm thanks guys... This might even be good for the cake... no..? what about if its trying really hard to get itself established out there and when I put that ... mm.. heavenly.. liquid.. water... even if it does try to change to fit the situation...it will already be in overdrive and skid all over the wet streets.. tasty water... oh yeah thanks alot guys ill spray it (?) times.

--------------------

OfflineCACA
veteran
    #398210 - 09/19/01 01:08 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Did you guys see the (?) in the amount of times I should spray it? Anyone know what number could fit in there?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom