Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Autoclave, Gypsum, Peat, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Rye berries or Corn?
    #3969545 - 03/25/05 06:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm more than likely buying a starter kit or just a bag of sterilye sub. from sporeworks.com...I'm not sure what sub. would be best for what i've got...
I've got Wine cap (SRA) and Crimini..

What would you recommend, and if i had to choose between rye berries and  whole corn, what you recommend?
Thankx guys :thumbup:

-Gnostic

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Rye berries or Corn? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3970649 - 03/26/05 12:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've used exclusively organic rye berries for all of my mycological adventures.  They cook up nicely and consistently using a "one-step" procedure (add rye, water, gypsum, autoclave: done), and I haven't found a species yet that didn't think they were yummy.

For the species you mention, I think rye would work beautifully. 

:thumbup:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Rye berries or Corn? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3973891 - 03/26/05 09:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Do you use straight rye in lieu of wood chip/sawdust mixes and bran and so forth?
I just ordered a bunch of polypropylene bags and I plan to start using them for reishi. Have you had success with rye and reishi? Thanks.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye berries or Corn? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3975124 - 03/27/05 04:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

No no, I'm just talking about generating grain spawn. The colonized rye berries that I grow out are almost always used to inoculate some other bulk substrate (straw, poo, supplemented sawdust, etc.) I rarely if ever fruit directly off of just grain.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Rye berries or Corn? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3975228 - 03/27/05 07:03 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Don't mean to sound like a nOOb, i'm just not to familar w/ gourmets :smirk:

If I knocked up the Rye w/ SRA, would i be able to spawn that to horse poo...and then case?

Like i said, not quite familiar w/ edibles...:shrug:
But I'd like to to acquainted :smirk:

-Gnostic

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Rye berries or Corn? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3976378 - 03/27/05 05:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

For SRA, I would inoculate rye, and let it fully colonize, shaking occasionally as needed. If you're going to attempt this indoors, then you could try either pasteurized straw or a sterilized sawdust/woodchip blend for your bulk substrate. Inoculate this with your colonized rye, and let it grow out under high CO2 conditions. Then top it off with a soil-based casing layer (SRA needs the microbes in the soil to fruit). You also might need to drop the temperature 10 degrees or so to induce fruiting, and provide some light of course.

If you have any outdoor space at all, I would fruit outdoors instead. (This is Armedia's protocol, and I'm going to try it this spring.) Use your colonized rye to inoculate some sterilized wood chips. Let them grow out. Then use these wood chips to inoculate even more wet, non-sterile chips. You can do this in a large tub indoors while you're waiting for the weather to warm up. (You can lightly cover the tub to prevent moisture loss.) Then once frost has passed, you can make a big-ass bed or box of moist wood chips outside, and inoculate with your tub-o-colonized chips/SRA. A light soil or peat casing on your oudoor bed will help keep things moist.

And remember, don't eat a lot of these critters and then drink heavily... Many folks have reported GI upset when mixing SRA with alcohol.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Autoclave, Gypsum, Peat, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms