Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Morchella elata / Cracked Corn
    #3381099 - 11/18/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Something odd's happening with my black morel. Or maybe something odd's happening with corn, I don't know. I've never used cracked corn until now so have been experimenting with it. So far it seems to work pretty well- except this weird effect with the Morel.

All the cracked corn spawn of various species is growing pretty normally for my conditions- this is day 10, 70-75?F, none of these in an incubator. I first noticed the darkening about day 6-7, but didn't look too close, I tend to let jars do their own thing during the work week.

The Morel jars all turned dark. No visible molds, no patchy looking bacterial colonies, not even any obvious mycelium; just shrank and darkened evenly throughout. They still smell sweet and grainy, no bad breath.

All the CC jars are the same batch, made up and PCd at the same time. None of the other species did this to the corn at all. Uninoculated jars are still fresh and bright yellow. Before I assume a contaminated culture syringe (it was purchased, not made here, and all the other syringes from the vendor were fine)-- has anyone tried black morels on corn and seen anything similar?

To be honest this is also my first time culturing Morels. Just to play around with and put out in the yard to see what happens. I want to build up large amounts of spawn and plant it in various places. I was kinda hoping they would look more like that P. ostreatus at this point!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Morchella elata / Cracked Corn [Re: Gyromitra]
    #3394586 - 11/21/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Morel mycelium is totally different from all the other species you are growing. It is very fine, and will darken with age. It also grows very fast in comparison, the fastest I have ever seen. I have not grown it on corn, but on agar it will stain a dark brown after some time. I believe what you see is normal, but it should smell strongly of morels. Since you smell no contamination, and smell corn, I would assume that everything is fine.

In time you should see colonies of golden sclerotia if the strain is still capable of producing them. Sometimes it does not take long for them to appear, others it can be awhile. Here is a picture of sclerotia on agar so you know what to look for:

Here is another, you can see the dark coloration of the wedge in the lower right corner:

And here is the same culture on rye. It actually looks contaminated in a way, but it is full of sclerotia. The rye did not darken, as it is already dark to begin with. It actually lightened up due to the sclerotia production:

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Morchella elata / Cracked Corn [Re: ATWAR]
    #3396663 - 11/23/04 03:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you Atwar- you are completely right. I saw a picture on sporeworks' website last night (the source of this culture) and thought hey, that's exactly what this looks like.

There are little sclerotia. LOTS of them. And they do look like some weird contamination. I wish I still had my good camera for a close-up, but really, the jars are packed full of them. They are a shade lighter than the corn is now.

Now that I know this is what's going on, I'm amazed at the speed. It seemed like overnight, the stuff colonized way faster than even the Pleurotus. I'll expand it this week, and make an early winter planting out, looks like there won't be any reason at all to wait until Spring!

It seems that black morels do like corn as much as anything, at least at this stage.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

#3408487 - 11/25/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well I still haven't gotten to play with my mushrooms and expand this one, kitchen has been too busy this week. Been to busy/lazy to make the flow hood in the basement out of the ULPA filters I bought. But here's a closer picture of what I've got going, along with a picture of what cracked corn looks like before colonization with a different species. Please ignore both the bad quality camera, and the bad growth of the other species due to the corn being too wet for it. These are both the same batch of corn, inoculated the same day:

In the first pic you can see the microsclerotia growing against the glass (blue arrows), and also on the corn into free air (green arrows).

I'm going to grow the morel out some more on new corn until I get tired of watching them, then dig in the spawn under the fireplace ash piles under an apple tree. Maybe too late to see fruit this Spring but maybe the next year I'll see some.

Invisibleandjor
Stranger
Loc: Here
    #3412789 - 11/26/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Did you purchase your morel culture/syringe/spores? Or did you collect and make them/it?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Morchella elata / Cracked Corn [Re: andjor]
    #3413107 - 11/26/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

andjor said:
Did you purchase your morel culture/syringe/spores? Or did you collect and make them/it?

Quote:

Gyromitra said:
I saw a picture on sporeworks' website last night (the source of this culture) and thought hey, that's exactly what this looks like.

:rolleyes:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisibleandjor
Stranger
Loc: Here
Re: Morchella elata / Cracked Corn [Re: ATWAR]
    #3415021 - 11/27/04 04:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks, skipped right over that sentence.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Morchella elata / Cracked Corn [Re: andjor]
    #3420184 - 11/28/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, purchased the morel as myc. culture syringe... I used that vendor because I could get the syringes inexpensively. I was more concerned about saving over $100 per culture than knowing exactly which strain I'm using, so got all my purchased edibles there. They all grew perfectly BTW. I'd go with something like Stamets' place if I were growing commercially and worried about every little trait of the strain. I'm just playing with them at this point.

I did collect and clone a shaggy mane that's also doing strange things, Similar scare, will post separately.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms