Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Beef Jerky, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Living from a pack
    #3959102 - 03/23/05 01:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well I'm thinking about heading out maybe with a couple friends and living in the woods for an indetermined amount of time living on the land and carrying everything on your back.. I at least want to test myself for a few months and see if I can do it. Make my way north and go to festivals and gathering on the way.

So I've never done any hardcore hiking/camping like this. Sure, I've gone camping tons of times in the wilderness, done plenty of hiking and backpacking but never for extended periods. Who has some tips and advice?

I'm going to be acquiring some lightweight gear.. lightweight tent, pack, sleeping bag.. ultra small stove.. water filter.. basic cooking/eating supplies.. first aid, etc. keeping supplies to a minimum. Bringing along a book or two- edible wild plants.. and north american field guide to medicinal plants and herbs.. and maybe one pleasure book and my journal. Also the basics.. knife, flint, rope, headlamp, can opener/screwdriver tool, waterproof matches, etc.

I know to not bring cotton clothes, and depending on the weather.. I will probably be keeping clothes to a bare minimum too.. maybe one extra change of clothes, a hoodie, and raingear. For food I will be bringing some homemade trail mix - dried fruit, almonds, peanuts, raisins, m&ms.. some of those freeze-dried, just add water meals.. oatmeal, dried beans, peanut butter, olive oil, brown rice and veggies, and a couple MREs for emergency. I'll probably eat as much edible nature as I can find. And bring emergency money of course.

So what should I keep in mind? All suggestions welcome

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Living from a pack [Re: Shroomism]
    #3963734 - 03/24/05 07:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

keep good spirit, and remember to listen with all your senses to what nature is telling you.

dunno much about backpacking though

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3966953 - 03/25/05 12:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Unfortunately this forum is so slow you'll never get enough responses here. But it sounds to me like you are on the right track. I've never lived out of my pack for more then 2 weeks so I don't have a lot of advice to offer. But having good quality gear (tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear) can make all the difference in the world. Do your research and don't be afraid to spend a few extra dollars for the good stuff. But also keep in mind...expensive is not always better! Just have good equipment. You will thank yourself in the long run!

Oh, and simple things are sometimes the most important. Take some simple tools (saw, knife, pliers). You will be glad you have them eventually!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Living from a pack [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4143542 - 05/06/05 08:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

ya I pretty much figured about the quality gear thing.. that's important.. I'm going to be buying a bunch of stuff pretty soon.. and may I mention.. REI = way overpriced.. ebay is where it's at. New shit, cheap.. not cheap quality.. just cheap. And I've discovered the big thing when travelling with a pack is packing light.. which means buying ultra-lightweight gear.. a sleeping bag that compresses very small, a super light stove, super light tent, everything as lightweight as possible.. shit they even sell titanium sporks. The lightweight stuff costs a bit more but it's worth it.. people say that 20 pounds turns into 100 pounds at the end of the day.. so cutting off a couple pounds can make a huge difference.

Simple tools I got covered in one - leatherman - knife, pliers, can opener, bottle opener, screwdrivers, file, wire cutter, fish scaler, etc - all in one tool that fits right on your belt. Gotta love it. I'll probably bring a few extra tools just in case - packable shovel, extra knife, saw.

And one of the big things is you gotta have the right pack. I'm getting one that is 7,000 cubic inches (internal frame).. rain gear very important too.

--------------------

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4148248 - 05/07/05 10:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

REI sucks... go with www.campmor.com

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Living from a pack [Re: Jim]
    #4148507 - 05/08/05 12:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

REI brand stuff is good, and usually cheaper than competitors. Of course, i am biased...

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Living from a pack [Re: dblaney]
    #4261745 - 06/05/05 11:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If I could drop everything I was doing and live out of a pack for awhile...I'd do it. I don't have the balls.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Living from a pack [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #4588419 - 08/27/05 08:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would have to say 7000 cu in. Is WAY to big.

Ive been living out of a pack for the past 2 months + some (urban refueling though.)

Ive got an MSR microzoid (around 2lbs.)
small 30 dollar sleeping bag.
Organic cotton pants + coveralls
2 pairs of wool socks.
converse shoes.
A small MSR whisper light international stove (which i hardly use)
A mess pan
headlamp
sewing kit + tape and stuff.
toiletries.
reading material
2 or 3 shirts
long underware
rain jacket
hoodie + sweater.
water treater.

thats in a 40L bag..

which probably doesnt weigh anymore than 30lbs...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Living from a pack [Re: headset]
    #4588852 - 08/27/05 10:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I ended up getting a 5,500 ci pack (90 liters?). plenty of room for all my gear plus room to spare for extra food and winter clothes and bulky items. I have:

msr whisperlite
down sleeping bag
titanium pot
repair kit
hammock shelter (2 lbs)
nylon pants (cotton kills..)
polypro shirt, fleece
3 pair wool/acrylic socks
water filter
parachute cord
first aid kit
headlamp
toiletries

altogether weighing probably 20 lbs before food and water.. not bad.
and I'm getting some frogg toggs rain gear

--------------------

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery

Loc: strawberry field
    #4646518 - 09/11/05 05:08 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Shroomism - if you need any help, PM me. I've spent several months living in the wilderness with whatever I can carry. My first purchase was the Army Survival Guide... it's heavy (couple hundred pages), but it might as well have saved my life. I've used it to repair gear, repair myself, find/catch/trap food, build shit...

REI has tried and true gear, definitely avoid internet stuff, it's usually cheap/flimsy and you don't have a chance to approve it before buying. REI buys from manufacturers, if they get to many returns or complaints, they won't continue to sell certain items.

I've done everything from Grand Canyon to Mt. McKinley to Boundary Waters to motorcycle camping across Canada. AT and SHT through hiking. Mostly solo and ultra-lightweight. Have fun, eat shrooms and BE SAFE...

--------------------
:pacman: :mushroom2:

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery

Loc: strawberry field
Re: Living from a pack [Re: Nashbar]
    #4646539 - 09/11/05 05:12 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

if you have a food dehydrator

dried ground beef is really easy
dried refried beans go with anything
dried fruit is expensive in stores

--------------------
:pacman: :mushroom2:

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Living from a pack [Re: Nashbar]
    #4646649 - 09/11/05 05:56 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
if you have a food dehydrator

dried ground beef is really easy

:yesnod:
I make my own jerky out of ground beef all the time.  People think you gotta buy some expensive cuts and get them sliced thin for good jerky, but thats just wrong.  I buy really lean ground beef and mix in whatever seasonings I want, press it out into thin sheets and dry it out.  People don't believe me how good it is until they've tasted mine!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Living from a pack [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4650523 - 09/12/05 04:03 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

What's the word on dehydrating food with an oven on low with the door cracked open? No access to a food dehydrator... but I do have an oven :grin:
I've heard about dehydrating food this way but what are the drawbacks.. does it lose more flavor/nutrients/whatever?

--------------------

OfflineUlcerPentacidis
psilophile

#4656679 - 09/13/05 09:24 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

I spent the better part of last summer living out of a pack, although I was on a bicycle rather than on foot. At times it was a burden having the bike, but overall I could mover around much faster, and haul more things more easily. Having a fairly light setup, (tent, bag, pad, stove, filter, cookkit, clothes, tools) food was the biggest burden I had. While its nice and cost effective to prepare a shit ton of food before departure, food is easy to come by pretty much anywhere in the states, just make sure you know how many calories you need to have to get to your next resupply.

--------------------
µgrammar

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4658000 - 09/14/05 03:05 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

The biggest issue is finding food. Building a fire, wearing warm clothes, setting up a shelter, most of that stuff is pretty simple. Carrying enough food for a few days can be a pain in the ass. When I've done stuff like this, I put 2-3 MRE's in my pack as a backup. I buy snickers bars by the case at sams club and munch on them. I go to grocery stores and get my food stuffs replenished as necessary. If you get a lightweight gas stove, heating canned foods is pretty simple. Chunky soup is great, as is Dinty Moore beef stew.

Also, those field books to edible plants sound like a great idea, but they are pretty much worthless. Looking through it and trying to find a few plants to eat isn't a calorie-plus exercise. If you really are going to rough it out there, and want to get food from nature, set some traps.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4658005 - 09/14/05 03:07 AM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Dehydrated food simply has no water :smile: All of the nutrients are present.

Get some extra firm tofu and slice into 1" wide, 5" long and 1/4" thick strips.  Marinade in liquid smoke and other yummy concoctions in your fridge for 2-3 days.  Remove, dehydrate.  Freaking deee-lish

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

David Lane

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Living from a pack [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4659051 - 09/14/05 12:13 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Good tips.. but I thought canned foods was basically a big no-no for backpacking. I mean if you don't mind lugging the weight and bulk around.. and you have to pack out all those cans..

I like the Freezer Bag Cooking method for most of my backpacking meals. Quick and easy, no big mess. Just gotta take some time beforehand to measure out everything into bags for every meal.

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4660095 - 09/14/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 14 days ago)

Yea. I've mixed up dehydrated trail food before and taken it with me. If you get 3 bags of 3-4 different types of your favorite "just add water" mixes, you can put all of the bags of the same stuff in one bag and know how much requires how much water. This works pretty good. Realistically though, your best bet is to plan on resupplying every two - three days. I love eating good food and I hate having to live off of Pasta-Roni for a month. I don't mind buying steaks and such and packing them with me for a day.

This edition of backpacker magazine has an article that talks about how long fresh fruits and veggies can last on the trail and the best way to prepare them. i'll scan it or bring it down to VA with me.

--------------------

David Lane

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: Living from a pack [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #5955605 - 08/12/06 05:22 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I always wanted to do something like this. I got into looking at making primitive shelters out of sticks and leaves, if you do it right it'll insulate you from just about anything. Unless its summer you arent going to find much to eat unless you trap/shoot animals or fish. summer is a good time for berries, etc, but I dont know about just eating leaves and shit all the time. Good luck!

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

Re: Living from a pack [Re: Buddha5254]
    #5961228 - 08/14/06 01:58 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Primative shelters suck, for the most part. I've done that route before, did a twelve day "survival scenario" with just a leatherman, a bolo knife, two cigarette lighters and 5` of 550 cord. It's really not as fun and as "get back to nature" as it sounds.

If you want to go kinda primative, take a tarp. I use a tarp exclusivelly in the summer months and sometimes in the winter I'll do it just for "fun". Tarps protect you from water and heat, thats all you need to worry about.

--------------------
Unions are the bastions of the mediocre. - luvdemshrooms

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Beef Jerky, Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrator

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors