Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!!
    #3958638 - 03/23/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Holy crap.. anyone use barley for sclorota production? The innoc points arent even thickly colonized and huge balls of sclorota are formed everywhere along the myc...

Took pics, but upload limit has been reached till tonight!

anyone else have such wonderful results with barley and mycelium?

(cubies do phenominal, as posted a few days back)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: XTCollection]
    #3958674 - 03/23/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

[Email]Grrr@your[/Email] upload limit reach :frown:

Ask RogerRabbit, hes done alot of stone experimenting. Advanced also may have better response. I missed the barley posts...barley is what (I've heard of it I know, but I thought it was a spice or something, is it a grain?) and how much?

Hmmm...I just remembered I have access to the internet and google..

It is a grain. So i'm guessing you mean straight barley? If you could link the the cubie thread if you descirbed your preperation and results, or if prep wasnt described, if you could describe now :smile:

I have never heard of sclerotia forming so quickly, except I think RR claming those results with rye berries soaked in coffee...I dont even remember if his results were that quick though...well guess I'll bookmark this to keep an eye on it :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3958727 - 03/23/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Never mind, I could shrink it to less than 72k... (just made it at 71)

They look like balls that are just getting bigger since last night...

Hard to see in the pics, but I swear they are there.

Edited by XTCollection (03/23/05 12:37 PM)

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: XTCollection]
    #3958745 - 03/23/05 12:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Proof is in the pudding, by tonight they may be more photogenic.

The othe four sides are showing the same balls of growth, so it isnt particular to a spore or two... I think its the barley. The rice and wheat done the same day just show the same wispy growth.

Barley rocks man!!!!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3958766 - 03/23/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Have you grown out stones before?

And dont forget about my question to the prep of the barley you use and a link to the cubie thread.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Edited by scatmanrav (03/23/05 12:46 PM)

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3958791 - 03/23/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

-

--------------------
"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: ShroomGuy86]
    #3958804 - 03/23/05 12:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

No never scat... But I do know someone who has, and that would be you.. I still have 6 cc left, will do some lcs, if your interested in the last 2 - 3 ccs for a project verifying the barley thing. Kind of a control factor, if your interested.. :-) Will get the details on the barely in a minute, got a couple dozen cubie poopy pies about to pc...

brb

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3958927 - 03/23/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I thought so, those...I dont believe are stones at all..yet..

My Tamps, may be different then Mex-a's, however they first colonized lightly, getting darker white and more solidly behind that (looks like yours is doing this right now)...then they after sitting fully colonized they turn orangish when the actual stones start forming... Still unsure though, since mine didnt do like yours....

--------------------

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3958973 - 03/23/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

shroomguy-

Stones are condensed masses of mycelium, which can be eaten etc...

Just something different from a cubie, fun to explore.

Well, these balls are getting bigger, while the fuzz is still spreading out.

Damn...
thought it was :-P

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#3959478 - 03/23/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hows the trip of a "philosophers stone"? Whats the dose, and how do you dose. Its good to see something different than cubensis. Great grow.

Offlinecandykid420
I'm not a newbie
Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #3959750 - 03/23/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I ate sclerotia once, with a buddy of mine up in Oregon. We downed a handful each (no scale) with some grap fruit juice.

I re-tell this story alot because sclerotia has always fascinated me with one thing: the come-up time. Now, I don't know if it is just me, but it happens to this said friend every time we try eating sclerotia. It doesn't kick in for like 6 hours, then it hits us both at the exact same time. I can't explain it.

But about the trip: it's just like a cubie trip, really.

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: candykid420]
    #3959786 - 03/23/05 03:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you, but I believe these are actually stones after all. The white behing them is thickening, and the balls are swelling becoming a darker off white. From what I understand, these will turn olive, a tad different than scat's stones.

No other jars have any balls swelling on the myc. In ten years, never seen this type of mycelia growth. DOnt know what else it can be

The balls should be more photogenic by tonight. Ill repost when my limit resets.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3959862 - 03/23/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's not unheard of for the mycelium to produce sclerotia prior to full colonization, but it's rare. Mexicana mycelium does get denser in some areas more than others and that is most likely what you're seeing. Time will tell. I've never tried barley, but I've found that sclerotia production is better on rye berries than on rye grass seed. I've also found considerably better sclerotia formation when the grains are hydrated with coffee prior to sterilization.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3960140 - 03/23/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XTCollection said:
Thank you, but I believe these are actually stones after all. The white behing them is thickening, and the balls are swelling becoming a darker off white. From what I understand, these will turn olive, a tad different than scat's stones.

No other jars have any balls swelling on the myc. In ten years, never seen this type of mycelia growth. DOnt know what else it can be

The balls should be more photogenic by tonight. Ill repost when my limit resets.

Very interesting..make sure you keep this up..I'm definatly interested in seeing how these turn out...indoor exotics have really been fascinating me recently...

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #3963279 - 03/24/05 03:36 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The top circle looks like 2 grains of barley pressed up against the glass.
Foaf has some mexA that is just starting to produce sclerotia. It looks like the color of coffee & cream, kind of a tan color. It is not olive colored.
He does have similar growth as the bottom circle on some of the rye kernals in his jars. The whole jar is colonized, but some kernals are surrounded by a brighter white mycelium similar to the bottom circle in your pic. It is a brighter white than the surrounding mycelium, and usually only surrounds a single grain, but it is not sclerotia.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3963623 - 03/24/05 05:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Most fungal aggregations consist of parallel hyphae. The individual hyphae are recognizable as such and the term used to describe these tissues is "prosenchyma", meaning loosely organized tissue. Some fungi develop more tightly organised tissue where the tightly packed cells resemble plant parenchyma. These tissues are referred to as "pseudoparenchyma", meaning false parenchyma. The hyphal origin of the cells is less obvious in the latter tissue.

Stromata
Two types of structure are formed from pseudoparenchyma: sclerotia and stromata. The differences between the two types of tissue is simply that one bears or contains fruiting bodies, and the other does not. During development, stromata resemble sclerotia, though in addition, some host plant tissue may be incorporated in stromata. Indeed, sclerotia may eventually form fruiting bodies following recovery from dormancy. The distinction between the two complex tissues is unclear.

Sclerotium
The term sclerotium is used in a functional sense. The rounded bodies are able to survive periods of adverse environment. They remain dormant or quiescent during the stressful period and then germinate when conditions are more favorable.

A number of different types of sclerotia are found. The simplest consist of a few cells and are microscopic. The most complex are the enormous sclerotia of Polyporus mylittae found in arid and semiarid regions of Australia, which can reach 30 cm diameter.

Scerotia develop from an initial cluster of hyphae. The knot increases in size, cells shorten, the hyphae become packed tightly together, and the structure changes from undifferentiated tissue to a structure where the outer layer becomes rind-like. Walls of the outer hyphae are thickened, and melanised, and compartments lose their cytoplasm. Internal hyphae become swollen, with extended vacuoles. The hyphae have considerable dichotomous branching, and remain relatively thin walled. This inner tissue stores nutrient reserves. The substratum may be partially enclosed in the sclerotium, and appears surrounded by melanised cells.

The structures formed by a single fungus may vary in dimensions and anatomy. It appears that the environment plays an important part in the development and survival of sclerotia, just as in other parts of the fungal thallus.

Germination

Germination of sclerotia is usually associated with improved environmental conditions, usually adequate moisture and temperature. The fungus Polyporus mylittae appears to germinate following a drop in soil temperature as it contains adequate reserves of water within the structure. The sclerotia appears able to survive for many years, and the precise trigger may also involve either heat from summer or a fire. Some sclerotia of fungal pathogens such as pathotypes of Sclerotinia and Sclerotium , also require specific chemical triggers indicating the presence of a potential host.

Germination may be by emergence of hyphae from within the sclerotium. However, a significant number form fruiting bodies which disperse spores.

Conclusion
Sclerotia and stromata are complex hyphal structures which enable survival through stressful times. Their formation appears to be under genetic control, and is not necessarily related to stress at the time of formation. The germination of sclerotia is probably triggered by the structure sensing relief from the stress.

References
Carlisle MJ & Watkinson SC 1994 The Fungi. Academic Press.

--------------------

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: agar]
    #3963852 - 03/24/05 09:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

damn.. agar is the f'ing man...

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

#3963882 - 03/24/05 09:25 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, they are a tad more photogenic...

here ya go -

Here is one at the top center, hard to miss..

Again, the pictures cannot capture the differences between the balls or the patches of thick white.. but 24 hours later, these balls are still swelling apart from the mycelia growht.

As time goes on, the differences will be more noticable, and photogenic. But this pic does capture the irregular patches of thick white, and then you can see 2 balls in this one. Top center and top right...

And if you look closely, you will notice tiny strings of tannish brown, so I was wrong about the olive thingy, but I couldve sworn pictures depicted an olive tint.

Edited by XTCollection (03/24/05 09:27 AM)

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
    #3963981 - 03/24/05 10:32 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've got mycel that looks like that in my ec. jars. Every single time.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: OMFG Mexicana A + Barley = sclorota prod in 3-5 days!!!!!!!! [Re: no-tone]
    #3964090 - 03/24/05 11:09 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, it no way looks like cubie mycellium, the damn camera will not capture the depth of it, I guess cuz its focusing on the jar...

But - all of the other jars showed these today - meaning it probably isnt stones.. It seems like the barley causes the thickiening prior without becoming wispy - Same thing it does with cubies...

I also noticed wheat berries colonize wispy real quickly, then they thicken up shortly after...

I feel silly, but still, I had never experienced these odd growth patterns. And the damn brown strings keep throwing me off on a cotam or not... :-P

still fun, regardless!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation