Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Compassion #2
    #3949555 - 03/21/05 05:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As you probably already know compassion is the heart of any serious religious or spiritual practice. Compassion is not 'yours' or mine' to own or possess because it is an all pervasive heart that knows no distinction between you or me, this and that, its open space encompasses things as they are. At first Compassion starts with sorrow at the suffering of others.  As such, it incites action aimed at reducing the suffering of others. Compassion is the motivating force behind useful action.  It is a warm, positive energy directed towards helping others. 

Compassion can only arise when we do not have a strong sense of separation from others.  If there is a feeling that I am over here, and you are over there, and we are totally separate individuals, then we will not be able to truly sorrow at each others' pain, because others' pain will not touch us.  In order to truly be touched by the suffering of others, we have to abandon our attachment to sharp divisions between individuals.  We need to live in awareness of the flow of energy between ourselves and others. Chogyam Trungpa explains, "When a person develops real compassion, he is uncertain whether he is being generous to others or to himself because compassion is environmental generosity, without direction, without 'for me' and without 'for them.'"

This sense of identity with others is taken to its logical conclusion, producing a profound awareness of the relational, open, empty nature of reality.  Reality is relational because everything is intimately affected by everything else.  There is no such thing as an independent entity.  My well-being is affected by your well-being.  The consequences of every action spread throughout the universe just as ripples spread from a splash in a pond.  Reality is open because there are no boundaries.  "There is the . . . panoramic vision of open meditation--the experience of dhyana--openness.  You do not regard the situation outside yourself as separate from you because you are so involved with the dance and play of life." Openness involves accepting everything just as it is.  There is no boundary between "pure" and "impure" or "good" and "bad".  Everything is seen as a manifestation of pure wisdom mind.  Reality is called empty because everything is empty of permanent, individual, essence.  Thinley Norbu says, "In the undeluded purity of self-appearance, . . . there is no reality of an object of sentient beings and no substantially of an object of deities." There is no individual existence of things.  Everything is intimately interconnected..... :heart:

All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (03/21/05 05:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
Re: Compassion #2 [Re: egghead1]
    #3949877 - 03/21/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Beautiful heartfelt words....  :heartpump:  Thanx~ for taking the time to share....   

Man was never meant to be an island..... 

Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology