Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Peroxide and agar question
    #3940618 - 03/19/05 03:56 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

When you make agar when and in what concentrations should you add peroxide,and will store bought(3%) work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxide and agar question [Re: Electric305]
    #3940680 - 03/19/05 04:09 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

According to R. Rush Wayne, Ph.D. anywhere from 0.018% to 0.036% peroxide in agar can be used.

This is the same range as adding 6-12 ml of 3% peroxide per liter batch.

Of course, the higher the peroxide, the slower the fungi will grow.

good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Peroxide and agar question [Re: Roadkill]
    #3940796 - 03/19/05 04:34 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Cool...In that case im gonna whip some up tonight and pull some mycelium off of this turd i have.Its got alot of healthy mycelium on it allready.Its been producing mushrooms of the coplandia variety

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

#3947477 - 03/21/05 02:59 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

I transfered the mycelium from my cow turd to peroxided potato yeast agar today.I made 500 ml so i figured in stead of 6-12 ml of peroxide I halfed it to put me in the 3-6 ml range.I added a little less than a tsp(5ml) so i figure that would put me in a tolerable range.I lysoled everything and worked in a shitty-homade-wal-mart tote-glove box to try to maintian as sterile as environment possible and mixed the h202 with the agar,poured the dishes,covered and let cool
After that i broke the turd in half,pulled healty mycelium out,and placed it in peroxided water(i used 1 liter and added 1 tsp of h202 just to clean it up a bit)to wash it off,then on the agar.I made 3 1/2 pint jars like this...Im gonna cross my fingers now and hope it takes to it...thank you for the tips roadkill,Ill let ya know how this turns out in a couple days=)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3947592 - 03/21/05 03:57 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

yw

and good luck.

I hope that works out for you.

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Peroxide and agar question [Re: Roadkill]
    #3947904 - 03/21/05 07:55 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

When should you add it?

When it cools to 130 degrees. I know you already made up the agar, but in the future (if you didnt already find out), above that the peroxide breaks down.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Peroxide and agar question [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3948630 - 03/21/05 11:46 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

thanks scatman...Yeah,i learned to add it after 130 before i attempted this.I like to research and actions before i take them on to forsee all possible problems.I researched the topic on my own first then asked for input here to make sure i had everything right=)
One prob was though my thermometer broke,so what i did is i know agar starts to solidify around 110 or 120 so i added the peroxide right when it started getting real thick and i could handle the jar without being burned...I think that would have put my in the tolerable temp range

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

#3957432 - 03/23/05 12:05 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

Thank you roadkill and armedia for all your help with making peroxided agar...The tissue sample i took is reaching out nicely now...all ropy and fuzzy mycelium=) Ill take pictures as soon as i can...my cameras not working right now.I ve discovered that the agar bubbles a little in some places as its growing out(possibly any contaminants being "done away with" by the peroxide)...And its going pretty slowly,but its definatly growing and looking healthy=) Thanks agian to everyone I've questioned for helping me with my experiments...Its a complete success so far.
Was wondering if its possible to take a tissue sample from mushrooms i ve refrigerated...How long does it take before the tissues no longer good for cloning after the friut body is seperated from the web of mycelium?There still pretty fresh,just picked em this morning.If not Ill get some fresher ones soon,lol=)

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
    #3957646 - 03/23/05 01:14 AM (19 years, 10 days ago)

you know you really really don't need it i have never needed it thousands of labs all over the world in very thing from health care to elementary schools use agar and don't use h2o2, i just really don't like it it changes the PH to acidic and is very destructive , to food in agar is sugar, take some and put h2o2 on it and you will see the h2o2 eat it, just because you cant see that with it deluded it is still happening and there is way more sugar their than a few con tams with in minits all the h2o2 is gone because it has oxidized the agar

the only reason h2o2 is suck a buzz word is it cheap and very one can get it with no effort and we have know it all are lives, it my mine its used way too much to me the only good use it to treat the water under the perlite layer in a tub and it that case you would use it strong because it would not touch the cake , but hey on don't make cakes

--------------------
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies