Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
CASING FOR NEWBIE
    #393402 - 09/13/01 01:37 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I HAVE 10 JARS I INOCULATED 11 DAYS AGO USING PF TEK. I HAVE ALL THE EQUIPMENT I NEED FOR MY 10 GALLON AQUARIUM. I'M GONNA USE PERLITE AS HUMIDIFICATION BUT I KEEP HEARING ABOUT HOW GREAT CASING IS, (BETTER YEILDS, ETC.) THIS IS MY FIRST BATCH OF SHROOMS, SO AS A NEWBIE SHOULD I STICK TO MY PLAN AND JUST TRY THE CAKES FIRST , CAN I TRY BOTH? AND IF SO CAN I PUT CAKES AND CASING IN THE SAME AQUARIUM . OR SHOULD I JUST DO ALL CASINGS AND WHAT IS THE BEST (EASIEST AND BASICALLY IDIOT PROOF)
CASING TECHINIQUE I SHOULD USE?
THANX IN ADVANCE

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnimalChin

Loc: US of A
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: XAZIA]
    #393426 - 09/13/01 02:09 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Do both.... Try the hongus tek first,its good.

" Who among us has not snuck into the break room for a Love Newton?"

--------------------
A Bird in the hand is Dead.

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: AnimalChin]
    #393434 - 09/13/01 02:19 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

do i need two seperate "aquariums" to do both, and what is hongos tek?

Bob Marley

--------------------

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: XAZIA]
    #393457 - 09/13/01 02:53 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

cakes and casings required different levels of humidity; cakes require about 95% while casings require 82-92%. as the terrariums should reflect the different levels required for each (cakes/casings), likely youll need 2. but ive seen pics of people who have both in one; HQ hasnt done it herself (combined) so she has no "real world" input on this.

go to http://www.mycotopia.net - in their TEKS section theres Hongus' casing tek. itll show you with pics what casing looks like.

gluck

***Please Donate Blood. American Red Cross***

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

OfflineNolgthorn
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: oscill8]
    #393485 - 09/13/01 03:33 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

well i'm a newbie, and my first two crops now have been solely the cakes... but i plan to case my next batch and i'm really excited about it. i'd like to say that i've learned a LOT from growing directly off the cakes, and i assume i'll only learn a whole lot more from casing. the casing tek i plan to use is this one because it's perfectly layed-out and is pretty.

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: Nolgthorn]
    #393534 - 09/13/01 04:42 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

My advice for a a newbie is try a straight vermiculite casing. Just take a fully colonized cake and place it in a 4 inch plastic flower pot .. maybe some damp verm on the bottom first also. Crumble the cake in a zip-lock bag or set in the flower pot whole. then case on top with damp vermiculite  ....about a half inch . Then cover with  tinfoil with 5 or 6 small breath  holes poked in it.Place in terrarium for about 5 days with foil on it.  This keeps the casing in the dark and allows it to infiltrate the casing layer...  also adds more humidity with the foil on.  Then give  it a peek at day five....  if it looks like the mycelia is growing all through the Verm layer take off the tin-foil and drop the temp to around 75-78..  you should see some nice pinning about 3-5 days later.Nice thing about straight Vermiculite casings is that you don`t even have to sterilize it. Wet and give the vermiculite a mild squeeze till most of the excess water is out.  That`s close to perfect dampness for casing cakes. You`ll be surprised and over-joyed :smile: how many little guys pop out. I`ve had cakes flush 3 to 5 times this way.... resting about a day or 2 beteween flushes. Try single casings . you`ll love the yields...  Then maybe move on to larger trays and multiple cake substrates. Have fun man :cool:

?But I don?t want to go among mad people,? Alice remarked.
?Oh, you can?t help that,? said the Cat: I`m mad,Your mad.we`re ALL MAD!!!!  hahahahaha"

Edited by Numba9 on 09/13/01 05:45 PM.

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Offlinehudsonismss
journeyman
Loc: sydney
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: Numba9]
    #394906 - 09/15/01 03:25 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

what's the procedure for when the casing has finished the first (and subsequent) flushes? just let it sit and start over again, or is there anything you can do to help it grow more mushies again? case with cakes you can redunk, but what can you do for casings?

live in the present and the future will present itself

--------------------
live in the present and the future will present itself

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: CASING FOR NEWBIE [Re: hudsonismss]
    #394913 - 09/15/01 03:39 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

You clean off any aborts and recase the patches that are left from tearing off the mushrooms.
Then you place it into terrarium again, retain high moisture untill you see pins, then lower it to around 90%.

-------------------
Visit www.fungifun.org formerly kickme.to/mushrooms

Be very, very careful what you put into that head,
because you will never, ever get it out.

Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck