Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Suggestion about ODD
    #3914992 - 03/14/05 04:54 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Please feel free to let me know if this is totally idiotic, has been suggested before, or will never work - but I would like your (as in anyone's) opinion and feedback.

ODD is, to many, broken.  There's even a thread, fixing ODD, but I wanted to post here to attract more immediate and meaningful response.

What may be a solution is...  Dun dun na dun!  Advanced ODD (or ODD 2, whichever you prefer).  Slightly misnomered subforum of ODD with much greater post count and register time restriction...  If possible, it should even be influenced by your post count in ODD itself.

This way, in the ODD everyone knows about and sees, "they" can continue asking thier googleable/searchable questions as if it were a general questions forum...  And those that feel like ODD is and should be...  "something more" can play in aODD/ODD2.

Comments, suggestions, extensions, shut downs, flames? :smile:

--------------------
delta9

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePlatinumCaps
Cocaine $ells

Loc: Vansterdam
Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: delta9]
    #3915028 - 03/14/05 05:04 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

...flame

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3915255 - 03/14/05 06:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It's not a bad idea but I dont think it would really work. First off, 95% of the questions that are asked in ODD can in some way be answered through search engines or an existing shroomery thread. What is common knowledge to you may be an original, educated question to another so what is worthy of this advanced forum all comes down to individual experience-knowledge. Of course I hate the threads that ask the simple shit like, ?what is this drug? but it seems extreme basic definition questions are monitored my the Mods pretty effectively and there is a huge spectrum inbetween the stupid ones and really advance Q's such as ?Are Isosafrole MDP-2-P piperonal and sasafrole all invariables in a MDMA synthesis???. But who will draw this line? (that?s not a real question by the way, just pulled it outta my ass) There will be experts in the advance forum flaming on questions to be put in the beginner ODD for inquiry?s they already have answered before----the shroomery is 8 years old, you will notice some questions will just begin to rotate---the interesting ODD topics should be revived every other month just to see if anybody has any new experiences or insight to add to the subject. Other drugs isn?t really that cluttered anyways---there are usually only a few people in there and I rarely see more than 10 like the pub or Mushroom Clutivation/hunting. Splitting this forum into a second expert half will just make 2 even less active forums and might spure the pub/hunting-and others alike to requests superior sub-forums of there own.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3915269 - 03/14/05 06:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I do think:
1) Admins should have a longer waiting period and more posts before allowing members to gain access to ODD
2) Mods should try and clean up some of the questions by going into the thread and suggesting more effective forms of search to not clutter the forum.
3) MOdS should also try and clean it up by going into posts that are too general and tell the poster to specify the question. I think we get one every day that says, "Coke" or "OPIUM?" There are alot of questions that revolve around these things...the rules should say to be specific in your Subject line!

Whens the last time you saw MJ post a question in the hunting forum---he doesnt, just posts finds and references (statements) SOme people just outgrow these boards. Delta, have you asked something in ODD in the past few weeks? Im not gonna search but I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt cause you probably know everything you want to know about the drugs that fall into this category.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3915976 - 03/14/05 01:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

basically it come down to; 99.8977652% of question reguarding drugs have been asked and anwsered, at sometime, somewhere on the internet and can be found with a search. the only thing that's unique is subjective human experience. having an odd2 forum is dumb. if people are bitching about odd sucking, why not post the intelligent posts in odd and make it better rather than just abandon ship and make a new  "secret" forum. and it would just make odd that much worse if the people who actually knew what they were talking about went to another forum and left the idoits to talk about the fosters tek. the mods can't change odd, there's only like 5 of them. the posters are responsible for the quality of the forum for the most part. everything that psillynilly suggested the mods do can be done by users just as simple. speaking as a former mod of that forum, and knowing a little more about how things work, all the mods of that forum put a tremendous amount of effort into that place and do a damn fine job. i couldn't handle it as it got so monotinous and the shroomery became a job so i quit (among other reasons, but that was a major influence in my descision) so i respect them a lot for  the work they do. they already have enough shit to deal with so all this, the mods should do this and that; do it yourself :stoned:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: John]
    #3916240 - 03/14/05 02:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would have thought it would have been up to the users, myself...  But the thing is, everytime I try and educate a user on how they could better get information besides asking redundant simple questions, I get flamed (perhaps I am too brusque?), though rarely by the topic poster, but by some high and mighty lets all be friends type...  THAT gets old, in and of itself and makes me not want to help. :frown:

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

#3916695 - 03/14/05 04:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

personally i think a group of subforums for various drugs or categories of drugs IE: Hallucinogens, Opiates, Weed, etc would be helpful. And have those who have a decent knowledge of the category as the moderators. i think that would help alot with the clutter and make it easier to get an answer to a question

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: Yarry]
    #3917131 - 03/14/05 06:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Subforums, now that might be crazy enough to work!

Indeed ODD has never operated to its full potential.. however I do believe that it has operated to its capacity for our community.  The bottom line is that our demographics will not allow the forum to be as serious, scientific, or as structured as some may want it to be.  Creating a spin-off ODD2 will, in my opinion, further exacerbate this problem by making the first ODD forum that more people will have access to, even worse due to the tendency for those more experienced to confine their participation to the more 'mature' and restricted ODD2.

Subforums for specific substances or groups of substances seem like the ticket to me.. as this will better organize the information which I hope will prevent so many people from creating redundant topics.  But, I'm not about to make a decision this early in the game.  Please continue discussing and hopefully the ODD mods will chime in with their opinions on all of this :sun:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3917329 - 03/14/05 07:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I like it :thumbup:

I'm in favor of the "advanced" ODD sub forum (though maybe advanced is the wrong word) rather than separating into certain drugs.  I just think it isn't really necessary to separate drugs into their own categorizes, but that one forum will do just fine.

Just like there is mushroom cultivation and advanced mushroom cultivation.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: geokills]
    #3917360 - 03/14/05 07:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The only thing I am against about subforums (notice the plural) is that it spreads information over the multiple forums and to read the current topics in the sub forums, you have to look inside all of them...  Very exacerbating (have you ever been to Hipforums?  It's HORRIBLE - too many subforums is a very bad thing).

What I would like to see, though, is a psuedo-subforums.  What we do here is add a new column to the table data for a topic, and we'll call this "association".  So you set up all the pseudo-subforums for each drug class, etc, but at the bottom in the topic list, ALL of the topics are still there, as they are now.  If you click on, say, "Opiates", it filters and only displays all the topics associated with Opiates.  When creating a topic in ODD you will have the option to associate it with something; if an improper association (including lack of one that should be) is found, a mod can associate it later.

This would keep the normal flow (as ODD isn't exactly a "quick" forum), allow for normal viewing of all "classes" of issues, AND allow for the filtering that sub forums would give.

It makes everyone happy - except for Anno because he doesn't want to code it :rolleyes:

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: geokills]
    #3917383 - 03/14/05 07:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i like  :sun:

Offlinetheocean06

#3917391 - 03/14/05 07:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I just don't see the big deal about classifying drugs. Do we really need to have that filter? Can you not just tell from the title of the post? I just don't see why.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: theocean06]
    #3917516 - 03/14/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It'd make searching for those not Boolean-equiped much easier.
If the so called "classes" were independantly searchable like a subforum, it'd be much easier to hunt down specific info....
I like that idea.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Suggestion about ODD [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3917534 - 03/14/05 09:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, the way I figure it, it would for all intents and purposes be a subforum, except that the topics exist in the upper forum (ODD) as well, so we can all see them and don't have to click into 10 different "classes" (subforums) to view what's going on these days. :shrug:

--------------------
delta9

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3917546 - 03/14/05 09:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

But can the boards handle dually located threads?

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Offlinetheocean06

#3917583 - 03/14/05 09:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes but I doubt an Advanced ODD would have so many threads that you couldn't find a certain one. And then you would have to go through the trouble of making combination drug threads, since people may ask two different questions in the same thread. I think it's pretty easy enough to search right now, there is no need to make it easier.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

#3917596 - 03/14/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It would take a bit of hacking, but yes, there is no reason it shouldn't. Each topic is really just a post with its parent being a particular forum. This "association" thing just adds another parent, making the primary parent ODD and the second parent the other subforum. In a sense, it's tweaked subforums. On the search side, where those subforums are out, it uses the association number for the pseudo subforums instead of the forum number since those topics are all in the same forum, logically.

Basically double relationships. Kind of like a weird tree structure if you catch my drift.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

#3917644 - 03/14/05 09:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Seems to me it'd be more of a transparent or subassociation....like a layer of idents that can be ignored or viewed at will.
I see how it could work.... But it's really not necessary.
The main problem in ODD is lack of quality posts.....primarily because most of the people who can make those posts are capable of doing the research on their own, and most don't throw out their ideas until they have some backing, which, in this hobby of information collection, is rare.

And all the "questions" can be answered by doing your own reading.
It's the people much more so than the nature of the forum.....and in my years reading and participating and lurking, it's the volume of people that has caused the problems under discussion.

Bottom line, the forum is suited to the users, which is kinda sad, IMO. But it does work, even if i'm personally apalled at the turns it's taken.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

#3917655 - 03/14/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wish I had been around for the glory days :frown:

Hold me :hug:

--------------------
delta9

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #3917785 - 03/14/05 10:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Is this a drug reference site or the Shroomery? The focus of this entire board is on Shrooms. I think a single forum for most other drugs is fine. If people want specific advice on another drug they should visit a site that caters to that specific drug.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback