Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory
    #3894772 - 03/09/05 08:00 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

This was originally transcribed by me from Timothy Leary's "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out" book back in 2002. I just posted it in the Chinacat interview thread, but I wanted to see what you 2005 S&P heads thought about it.......

Quote:

Quote:

"Oh man, how beautifully it all fits together. Dig, the first atomic fission occurred in December 1942.
The Van Allen belt is a thick blanket of electronic activity protecting this planet. What is the earth? A core of molten metals covered by a thin layer of soft, vulnerable, organic tissue. Life nibbling away, nibbling away at the rock beneath. All life on this plantet is a delicate network unified. Each living form feeding on the others, and being eaten. The Van Allen belt is the higher intelligence protecting earth from lethal solar radiation, and it's in touch with every form of living intellegence on the earth-vegetable, animal, human.
Now dig, the supreme intelligence sees that man has rediscovered atomic energy. Wow! We gotta stop those cats before they disrupt the whole living network. the only thing DNA fears is radiation. That's why the Van Allen belt is there.
Ok, now get this. Four months after the first fission, Hofmann accidentally, ha ha, rediscovers LSD, which is now psychoactive.
Hofmann first synthesized LSD in 1938, but it gave no hit. No turn-on. Now why is it that Hofmann handles LSD in 1938 and nothing happens and then in 1943, three months after atomic energy is released, he puts his finger on lysergic acid and gets flipped out? What happened? Did Hofmann suddenly get careless? Or had LSD suddenly been changed into a psychedelic chemical? Competent chemists just don't change thier handling of compounds. Hofmann's techniques are standard.
Now dig, The atomic fission in December 1942 changed the whole system of energy in this solar system. The higher intellegence decides to make a few simple changes in the electronic structure of some atoms and zap! We have LSD, and incredibly powerful substance that is the exact antidote to atomic energy. People take LSD, and flash! They get the message and start putting things back in harmoney with the great design. Stop war! Wear flowers! Conservation! Turning on people to LSD is the presise and only way to keep war from blowing up the whole system."

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #3894842 - 03/09/05 08:15 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Where's the evidence that LSD has done anything to stop violence or war?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Phluck]
    #3894888 - 03/09/05 08:22 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I think he's refering to the whole "flower power" and anti-vietnam movement of the 60's. But vietnam was a stupid war, people would have hated it with or without LSD. LSD just made the whole anti-war scene alot more fun, and therefore, alot bigger and more powereful.

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3894905 - 03/09/05 08:25 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:

One of the biggest reasons the psychedelic movement was shut down was because the anti-war movement was viewed as being fueled by LSD (rightfully so). Had LSD not been made illegal on October 6, 1966, and the DEA not been created in 1973 I'm confident that we would have seen peace on earth.

We threw away our last chance at salvation. Oh well, maybe in the next existence.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3894931 - 03/09/05 08:30 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

But despite the fact that it was made illegal, it remained readily available to those who seek it out.

Even now it's not all that hard to find, sure it's a lot more scarce than it has been in the past, but with some effort, anyone can locate it.

I've met lots of people who have used LSD and still been violent people. You can even find examples of people who took it, and used it to justify horrifying violent ideas, like Charles Manson. It seems to me that it reinforces pre-existing beliefs more than it injects new, peaceful ones.

It's hard to find someone who would disagree that peace on earth sounds nice, therefore, most people who take acid will have thoughts that reinforce this idea. But when people come down, for the most part, they live their lives as they always have.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3895025 - 03/09/05 08:48 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

There are more chances man. :smile:

I think the notion that LSD was miracled into being psychoactive when it originally was not is a bit foolish. LSD is psychoactive because the shape of the molecule fits into serotonin receptors. The shape of the molecule didn't change, and it's unlikely that serotonin receptors changed.

Sometimes it's difficult to sift out the vision from the hallucination. I can remember thinking once while on acid that all the coal in the earth was a remnant of vast Cannabis fields which covered the entire primordial world. I had been reading about how you can increase artificial light intensity to 120% that of the sun if you give your pot plants extra CO2. Then I also read that the sun was brighter when the earth was formed and there was more CO2 in the air. I saw something on TV about coal, and BAM! the acid connected the three pieces of info together to produce vast fields of primordial Mary-Jane, covering the entire earth and slowly changing all that extra CO2 into coal.

The dangers of thinking on acid.

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: shroomydan]
    #3895061 - 03/09/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Too bad it couldnt be done without LSD. I dont mean that its a wrong thing to do by any means, but just the fact that it takes somthing like to shift perspectives.

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3895072 - 03/09/05 08:56 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
But despite the fact that it was made illegal, it remained readily available to those who seek it out.

Even now it's not all that hard to find, sure it's a lot more scarce than it has been in the past, but with some effort, anyone can locate it.

I've met lots of people who have used LSD and still been violent people. You can even find examples of people who took it, and used it to justify horrifying violent ideas, like Charles Manson. It seems to me that it reinforces pre-existing beliefs more than it injects new, peaceful ones.

It's hard to find someone who would disagree that peace on earth sounds nice, therefore, most people who take acid will have thoughts that reinforce this idea. But when people come down, for the most part, they live their lives as they always have.

Government resistance to the psychedelic movement was what stopped it from saving the world. They made the drugs illegal, harassed the leaders, released a constant flow of misinformation and propaganda, harassed hippies, created the DEA, etc. until the movement was poisoned. The momentum that the movement had was destroyed.

Yes, the drug is still slightly available, but the movement has been pushed so far underground and the message has been so muddied that everyone forgot what it was all about and gave up. They successfully thwarted world peace by taking away our focus and I don't think we'll ever get it back now. We're too far gone.

Oh well, is "American Gladiators" on?

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #3895098 - 03/09/05 09:03 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

....The Van Allen belt is the higher intelligence protecting earth from lethal solar radiation, and it's in touch with every form of living intellegence on the earth-vegetable, animal, human.......

Hofmann first synthesized LSD in 1938, but it gave no hit. No turn-on. Now why is it that Hofmann handles LSD in 1938 and nothing happens and then in 1943, three months after atomic energy is released, he puts his finger on lysergic acid and gets flipped out? What happened? Did Hofmann suddenly get careless? Or had LSD suddenly been changed into a psychedelic chemical? Competent chemists just don't change thier handling of compounds. Hofmann's techniques are standard.
Now dig, The atomic fission in December 1942 changed the whole system of energy in this solar system....

The atomic fission in December 1942 changed the whole system of energy in this solar system. The higher intellegence decides to make a few simple changes in the electronic structure of some atoms and zap! We have LSD........

perhaps this"higher intelligence altered our brains to be more receptive to the psychedelic properties of LSD?

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3895238 - 03/09/05 09:29 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Quote:

Phluck said:

One of the biggest reasons the psychedelic movement was shut down was because the anti-war movement was viewed as being fueled by LSD (rightfully so). Had LSD not been made illegal on October 6, 1966, and the DEA not been created in 1973 I'm confident that we would have seen peace on earth.

We threw away our last chance at salvation. Oh well, maybe in the next existence.

The fact that there are pro-war LSD users on the Shroomery seems to negate that theory.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Silversoul]
    #3895254 - 03/09/05 09:34 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Anyway, here's what I think: pschedelics have the potential to change people. They can break down mental barriers and deprogram cultural upbringing. HOWEVER, there is no set pattern of change inherent in psychedelics. They can change people in any number of ways, not all of which are positive. Look at Peter Green, one of the greatest guitarists of his time. LSD turned him into a devout Christian and led him to sell all his guitars and give up music.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3895443 - 03/09/05 10:13 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

You've missed the point. I am not saying that ALL users of psychedelic drugs think a certain way. However, groups that use LSD are OVER ALL a little more peaceful and tolerant (60's hippies, Deadheads, ravers for example).

Read this very carefully. The difference between people doing LSD in the 60's and people doing LSD now is context. Back then, people used it expand their minds and to work towards world peace. Since then, the government has crushed the movement's ability to flourish and muddied the waters so much that everyone thinks that it was all a big joke. Well it wasn't a joke. It was the earth's last hope, and it's gone. Having millions of people turn on is THE ONLY WAY to cause a mass shift in consciousness at this point.

Que sera sera.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3895813 - 03/09/05 11:20 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Didn't LSD use increase after it was made illegal? I don't think the context changed after that either. The whole hippie thing didn't really get going until 1967, the Summer of Love. What changed was that the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam, ending the draft, which was probably the primary reason so many young people opposed it. Meanwhile, the hippies grew up, got jobs, and voted for Bush.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#3895913 - 03/09/05 11:43 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Didn't LSD use increase after it was made illegal?
I don't think the context changed after that either. The whole hippie thing didn't really get going until 1967, the Summer of Love.

Yes, for a short window in time, LSD was both illegal but widely used for spiritual purposes. This didn't last for long because the government began cracking down. Fighting a war on drugs was in the best interest of the government for two reasons: 1) To keep control of the public's consciousness and 2) To devert attention away from a failed war in Vietnam. Once the government got momentum going, it couldn't be stopped.

Quote:

What changed was that the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam, ending the draft, which was probably the primary reason so many young people opposed it. Meanwhile, the hippies grew up, got jobs, and voted for Bush.

For a short peroid of time, many people in the sixties had unbrainwashed themselves. The government then cracked down on the movement and rebrainwashed most of these people and the movement fell apart. Pulling out of Vietnam was certainly instrumental in the demise of the peace culture as well, no doubt. I think more and more pressure from the government was what slowly killed the flower people.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3895977 - 03/09/05 11:54 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Quote:

Didn't LSD use increase after it was made illegal?
I don't think the context changed after that either. The whole hippie thing didn't really get going until 1967, the Summer of Love.

Yes, for a short window in time, LSD was both illegal but widely used for spiritual purposes. This didn't last for long because the government began cracking down. Fighting a war on drugs was in the best interest of the government for two reasons: 1) To keep control of the public's consciousness and 2) To devert attention away from a failed war in Vietnam. Once the government got momentum going, it couldn't be stopped.

How would making LSD illegal change the spiritual nature of its use? People like Timothy Leary continued to be advocates for it, and today I still see plenty of people using it for spiritual purposes. Also, I'm sure there were still plenty of people back then who took it just to get "fucked up." I agree that Vietnam had something to do with making it illegal, but I don't think it's because it caused people to oppose the war. Rather, it was associated with people who opposed the war(mostly because, like most drug users, they tended to be young), and making LSD illegal allowed the government to arrest them.

Quote:

Quote:

What changed was that the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam, ending the draft, which was probably the primary reason so many young people opposed it. Meanwhile, the hippies grew up, got jobs, and voted for Bush.

For a short peroid of time, many people in the sixties had unbrainwashed themselves. The government then cracked down on the movement and rebrainwashed most of these people and the movement fell apart. Pulling out of Vietnam was certainly instrumental in the demise of the peace culture as well, no doubt. I think more and more pressure from the government was what slowly killed the flower people.

I think it's pretty naive to think they temporarily "unbrainwashed" themselves only to be "rebrainwashed." A more likely case is that their beliefs were shallow and skin-deep, and changed when trends changed. What killed the "flower people" was the end of our involvement in Vietnam.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3896221 - 03/10/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

However, groups that use LSD are OVER ALL a little more peaceful and tolerant (60's hippies, Deadheads, ravers for example).

But groups and subcultures of pacificts have existed since long before LSD was around. Some of them were even completely drug free, like say, the original Quakers.

Could it be that LSD appeals to peaceful people, but doesn't necessarily encourage it?

Now, I'm sure you believe otherwise, but why? Based on which evidence?

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3896302 - 03/10/05 01:11 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Government resistance to the psychedelic movement was what stopped it from saving the world. ... The momentum that the movement had was destroyed.

are you saying that it was a battle between 2 forces: Government vs Van Allen Belt? and that Government won, and that was our last chance, and now Government is the last man standing?

or is Government actually the only visible part of a much huger evil entity or something? because I can't buy that Governmentness was able to defeat the might of the entire Van Allen Belt (remember, The Van Allen belt is ... in touch with every form of living intellegence on the earth-vegetable, animal, human and is a higher intelligence).

Also, what do you make of the fact that the Hippie Love Movement didn't succeed, even though it was fuelled by LSD, wonder of wonders? Why isn't Timothy Leary King of Planet Earth? To me it looks more like a bunch of hippies, jaded and disillusioned with the status quo, took a cool drug which made them see trippy shit and have trippy ideas, and individually they may or may not have improved their lives immeasurably, but collectively they were uncohesive, scattered and disorganized. They lacked any specific direction, and that's why the movement failed. indeed, I think that calling 'it' a 'movement' is a luxury provided by our distant historical vantage point.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Owsley's Van Allen Belt theory [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3896311 - 03/10/05 01:16 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I think the most ridiculous thing is to assume that the government is powerful enough to stop a movement like that through prohibition. Everyone here understands that making something illegal doesn't stop people from doing it. Government is way too ineffective to actually succeed in goals like that. Hell, they can't even balance a budget, let alone stop a movement.

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3896325 - 03/10/05 01:27 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

yeah, government vs hippies is like two clouds of bees attacking each other. only instead of normal bees, they're all either drunk or high on LSD, and only like three of them actually have weapons of any kind.

so how would Government, a drunken bee swarm, be able to defeat Hippies, a bee swarm fuelled by the magic power of LSD, and backed by the mighty Van Allen Belt?

Offlinehobgoblin
Stranger
    #3896672 - 03/10/05 06:44 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
How would making LSD illegal change the spiritual nature of its use?

Prohibition is poison.

--------------------
Seek not to rationalize hobgoblins. ~ Yeats

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals