Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast
    #3838578 - 02/26/05 08:58 PM (12 years, 1 hour ago)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/10974781.htm

Donny Attaway enjoyed working for QuikTrip Corp. for 12 years, seven as a manager, the last four at a store on East U.S. 24 in Independence.

Tuesday was Attaway's last day at work.

?It's a good company, but not for me anymore,? Attaway said without rancor.

The 36-year-old Independence resident was fired for refusing to give his fingerprint.

Like many companies nationally, the convenience store chain has adopted a new employee tracking system ? a modern-day substitute for the old-fashioned time clock and personnel file.

With the ?biometric? system, employees time in and out and gain access to their personnel records with their fingerprints instead of by inserting a card or filling out a time sheet by hand.

Employers increasingly are gravitating to biometric systems to protect against time sheet fraud and to keep private records from eyes not authorized to see them.

Attaway didn't see the privacy benefits. Rather, he saw a privacy invasion, and he refused to comply.

?Today, it's a fingerprint,? Attaway said. ?Some companies put GPS (Global Positioning System) in your vehicle. Tomorrow, it's in your cell phone. Down the road, it could be a microchip they want to implant in your hand.?

When QuikTrip introduced the system, Attaway told his bosses that he wouldn't use it.

For a while, he was permitted to time in and out by typing his Social Security number into a keypad, but in January the new policy made it clear that fingerprints were required.

QuikTrip's corporate spokesman in Tulsa confirmed details about the system's implementation but was unable to comment specifically on Attaway's case.

Attaway said he submitted his complaints to QuikTrip headquarters, in part on religious grounds.

?I saw it in a way as ?the mark of the beast,' ? Attaway said, in reference to a Bible verse. ?Is it a step to see down the road? If you don't take the mark, you can't work, you can't get food, you can't get money??

Pursuing the religious angle, Attaway is asking the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to consider it a discrimination case.

QuikTrip treated his dismissal kindly, Attaway said.

He said he had a day's notice to clean out his personal effects from his store, and his bosses allowed him to go to a regional office for the severance meeting so that the firing didn't play out in front of his co-workers.

He and his brother are starting up a commercial lawn service, and he's sure he can find other work, too.

But Attaway said he drew a line in the sand: ?I told them I wouldn't submit to fingerprinting no matter what it cost me. I knew it could cost me my job, and it did.?

Understand Attaway's convictions or not, his isn't the first and won't be the last case of workers' privacy concerns clashing with privacy ?protections? adopted by employers.

Valid business arguments for fingerprinting and GPS tracking will continue to be countered by some workers' unshakable opposition.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: Adamist]
    #3838954 - 02/26/05 10:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

huh that was here in town

next time I'm at the local QT I'll ask the clerk if they clock in with there fingerprints.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: Adamist]
    #3847038 - 02/28/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I respect what he did!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: Joshua]
    #3847118 - 02/28/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Joshua said:
I respect what he did!

Joshua

I guess if that is what he wanted. My State started finger printing you for a Drivers License. I found that if you put your finger tips on a belt sander with 80grit paper on it and hold them there for 2 min. Your finger prints are gone and take months to grow back. It is great! Every few months I just remove them and let it go at that.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: Cyber]
    #3847997 - 02/28/05 07:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The man is right, the population is going to be microchipped very soon. With or without our permission

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: Cyber]
    #3848638 - 02/28/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Cyber said:
Quote:

Joshua said:
I respect what he did!

Joshua

I guess if that is what he wanted. My State started finger printing you for a Drivers License. I found that if you put your finger tips on a belt sander with 80grit paper on it and hold them there for 2 min. Your finger prints are gone and take months to grow back. It is great! Every few months I just remove them and let it go at that.

That's interesting. If I had a belt sander I might do that. I bet it hurts though.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Man fired for refusing to get marked by the Beast [Re: MOTH]
    #3848799 - 02/28/05 09:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
Quote:

Cyber said:
Quote:

Joshua said:
I respect what he did!

Joshua

That's interesting. If I had a belt sander I might do that. I bet it hurts though.

It is not bad, you'll need to go easy on it. Remember the finger print is 1/16" deep and it is dead skin so you do not have to remove much.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service