Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoonrawk

Loc: USA
How does mycelium breathe in a casing?
    #379847 - 08/27/01 10:16 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

As the subject line says, how does the mycelium chunks that are trapped between casing layers exchange fresh air? I remember during my jar stage the growth slowed to a near halt because I had the lids on tight and was basically suffocating the mycelial network. Right now my casing container is covered with saran wrap over which is the lid for the tray and the whole thing is wrapped in foil (to keep light out since the tray is clear). I am worried that I may be suffocating them, but I also haven't read anything in the casing teks about air exchange, nor have I seen anyone report problems with such a thing. Any info on this?

Moonrawk

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

--------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: How does mycelium breathe in a casing? [Re: moonrawk]
    #379851 - 08/27/01 10:21 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

They don't need much air while they repair themselves. You can leave them there without fanning or anything because the mycelium network is recconecting. This is why it is important to start fanning them once mycelium can be seen, because it means that the network is almost done repairing itself...

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #379852 - 08/27/01 10:22 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

As described, you probably are suffocating your casing. All you need is the foil covering your casing with a few holes made by fork jabs for air. Get rid of the rest of that shit.

Offlinemoonrawk

Loc: USA
Re: How does mycelium breathe in a casing? [Re: puscle]
    #379864 - 08/27/01 10:33 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

If I do as you say, I assume that my top layer (gro-brick coco fiber) will dry out right? Should I mist every few days then? Or, is the bottom layer of verm. enough moisture? Sorry for all the questions this is my first time casing obviously.. Thanks to both of you.

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #379877 - 08/27/01 10:48 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

They might need to be misted once during colonization of your casing layer. Once birthed, mist once a day until pins appear.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix