Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
The P.C. police strike again
    #3795607 - 02/17/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19181-2005Jan18.html

Harvard Chief's Comments on Women Assailed
Academics Critical of Remarks About Lack of Gender Equality

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 19, 2005; Page A02

During nearly four years as president of Harvard University, Lawrence H. Summers has earned a reputation for blunt, sometimes brutal comments. After upsetting African Americans early in his tenure, he has provoked a new storm of controversy by suggesting that the shortage of elite female scientists may stem in part from "innate" differences between men and women.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3797022 - 02/18/05 02:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Excuse me but weren't you the one posting article after article about that professor who said something 'un-p.c.' about 9/11 victims and refused to apologize or recant?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Tao]
    #3797284 - 02/18/05 06:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The crucial difference: What Summers said was true; what Churchill said was nonsense.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3797289 - 02/18/05 06:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

During nearly four years as president of Harvard University, Lawrence H. Summers has earned a reputation for blunt, sometimes brutal comments. After upsetting African Americans early in his tenure, he has provoked a new storm of controversy by suggesting that the shortage of elite female scientists may stem in part from "innate" differences between men and women.

you mean to tell me that men and women are different? Well that would explain why my wife drives me crazy.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3797544 - 02/18/05 08:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Most women I know are not interested in science. Most men I know are not interested in sewing. My guess is that most women would make good scientists and most men would make good knitters, but why would either of us do what we are not interested in? As long as equal opportunities are there for men to sew and woman to experiment, I see no harm in there not being an even 50/50 split between men and women in each profession.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Seuss]
    #3797552 - 02/18/05 08:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think that women should be allowed to vote. I think we made a mistake, and it is past time to revist womens sufferage.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3797588 - 02/18/05 08:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hehe... I will take the opposite side.  Seems that the men of the world pretty much screwed up the planet, why not give the woman a chance and see if they can fix it.  :grin:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Seuss]
    #3797655 - 02/18/05 09:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that's all the world needs, a menstrual women with her finger on the button.

I can see it now, "USA's secret weapon - The Silent Treatment" :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3797827 - 02/18/05 10:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why do people get so upset whenever someone says something that's not "PC." Pisses me off.

Maybe people who get so damn offended at every little infraction of political correctness should evaluate why exactly they are getting so upset. It's all just WORDS. People who are so frightened of hearing such bold speech like "innate differences between men and women" probably need to realize that not everyone likes to bullshit and pussy-foot around with socially correct language.

Political correctness is getting out of hand.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3798012 - 02/18/05 11:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The crucial difference: What Summers said was true; what Churchill said was nonsense.

Well, what Summers said was pure speculation. It's not something that came as the result of a bunch of tests or anything like that, so calling it 'true' is idiotic. It may be true, but that's not something that has been determined at this point.

The whole idea behind free speech is that you've got to take the good with the bad. One person says something controversial that you disagree with and you want them fired, another person says something controversial that you agree with, and the fact that it even raises a controversy is 'blowing it out of proportion'. Seems like you've got a hard on for censorship, as long as only those who you dislike are censored.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Phluck]
    #3798173 - 02/18/05 11:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:

Well, what Summers said was pure speculation. It's not something that came as the result of a bunch of tests or anything like that, so calling it 'true' is idiotic. It may be true, but that's not something that has been determined at this point.

The whole idea behind free speech is that you've got to take the good with the bad. One person says something controversial that you disagree with and you want them fired, another person says something controversial that you agree with, and the fact that it even raises a controversy is 'blowing it out of proportion'. Seems like you've got a hard on for censorship, as long as only those who you dislike are censored.

You hit it right on. This is selective free speech. Its pretty pathetic that if anyone says anything a majority of the people dont agree with he gets fired from his position.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3798268 - 02/18/05 12:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Excuse me but weren't you the one posting article after article about that professor who said something 'un-p.c.' about 9/11 victims and refused to apologize or recant?

There is a difference between proposing a theory and attempting to justify the murder of innocent civilians. Churchill compared some of the innocent people killed on 9/11(who were just doing their jobs) to Nazis. He of course directed his ire towards the well-paid investment-type people who were working in the towers. First of all, not all of the people who died on 9/11 were rich investment-type people. Some were security guards, janitors, policemen, children, etc.. Secondly, it doesn't matter what a person's salary was; they were still all innocent victims who were murdered. And lastly, his "anti-capitalist/anti-profit/anti-bourgeoise" attitude that was prevalent in the essay is terribly hypocritical considering he is a VERY well paid and tenured professor at a well known university. Churchill is about as bourgeoise as you can get. I'd be willing to bet that he makes more money than most of the people who died on 9/11.

I hear people scream about how dissent and the "other side" need to be represented in discussion in the academic world. What this guy said was not the "other side". He was not just disagreeing with American foreign policy. There is nothing wrong with that at all(hell....I disagree with American foreign policy). But, he villified murdered innocent civilians. He attempted to justify their slaughter. That is repugnant.

And before you say, "Well what about all of the innocent civilians killed in Iraq", I have a rebuttal for that. When an errant U.S. bomb flies into a house and kills an innocent Iraqi family, do you see any Americans celebrating? Do you see anybody saying they were Nazis and they deserved it? That is what Churchill did and that is why he is despicable.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3798700 - 02/18/05 01:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No one celebrates that, but they do accept it as 'collateral damage' just as Churchill could say the non-rich investment-type people were 'collateral damage'. and bourgeois does not just mean 'rich', it means someone who makes their money off of already-owned money/possessions/property. a professor is not a bourgeois.

anyway, my point was that neither of these statements have been proven right or wrong, what makes them stand out is that they are very un-p.c. I just find it hypocritical that you were joining the angry mob lambasting Churchill when he said something you disagreed with then cynically call people offended by a statement you agree with as 'the p.c. police'.

i have no doubt you have managed to rationalize to yourself that this is not hypocritical. the objective eye i think might say it would be.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3799300 - 02/18/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No one celebrates that, but they do accept it as 'collateral damage' just as Churchill could say the non-rich investment-type people were 'collateral damage'.

He compared innocent murdered civilians to Nazis.  That was uncalled for and disgusting.  That is my opinion.  End of story.

and bourgeois does not just mean 'rich', it means someone who makes their money off of already-owned money/possessions/property. a professor is not a bourgeois.

Oh that's right.....he just makes his money from the taxpayers of Colorado.  Because his roughly $100,000 salary is paid for by forcibly taking money away from people means that he is A-ok!  :rolleyes:  If he isn't living off of the proletariat, I don't know who is.

anyway, my point was that neither of these statements have been proven right or wrong, what makes them stand out is that they are very un-p.c.

I just find it hypocritical that you were joining the angry mob lambasting Churchill when he said something you disagreed with then cynically call people offended by a statement you agree with as 'the p.c. police'.

Celebrating the deaths of innocent civilians has nothing to do with being P.C. or non-P.C.  It is abhorrent.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#3799360 - 02/18/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

again, he wasn't celebrating, and according to him they weren't innocent civilians, they were civilians.

he put forth an opinion that was so unpopular in the political arena that he was repeatedly asked to not just retract, but apologize for a theory. how many academics are asked to apologize for giving theories, even if they are proved incorrect (though this one is not falsifiable)

and as you well know, most taxes come from the richest part of society, i.e. the bourgeois. but i really dont care about that point.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3799404 - 02/18/05 04:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

again, he wasn't celebrating, and according to him they weren't innocent civilians, they were civilians.

I consider all non-combatant civilians to be innocent. I don't buy the line of reasoning that says they are "not innocent" because they were forced to pay taxes and some of those taxes might have gone to military aid for Israel.

he put forth an opinion that was so unpopular in the political arena that he was repeatedly asked to not just retract, but apologize for a theory.

It was not a theory he was putting forth. It was his opinion that he was putting forth. As an American citizen he had every right to put forth that idea(or any idea), I have every right to think he is a despicable prick, and the University of Colorado board should have every right to fire his ass in my opinion.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3800723 - 02/18/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Pretty soon we will have to start referring to a woman's genitals as a "penis" just to be fair. lol

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Catalysis]
    #3800817 - 02/18/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I like my women with penis. Nothing better than sticking my pen0r in a nice penis.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: Catalysis]
    #3801458 - 02/18/05 10:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Pretty soon we will have to start referring to a woman's genitals as a "penis" just to be fair.

I remember reading an article about a feminist student group at Harvard University.  Some sculpture had been made and they decried it as having a "phallic appearance" and because of that it "represented the oppression and subjugation of women".  They demanded that it be removed.  :shake:

How can such smart people be so stupid?

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: The P.C. police strike again [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3804981 - 02/19/05 10:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
I don't think that women should be allowed to vote.  I think we made a mistake, and it is past time to revist womens sufferage.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder