Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Jamaica kinda sucks how they Exploit Marley so much
    #3785320 - 02/15/05 07:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don?t know if anybody here feels the same way about Jamaica but I was just there a few weeks ago and it kinda blew. First off, the people pester you to buy all their factory made ?authentic Jamaican? trinkets and stuff. Each little vendor says they are hand-made but besides for they factory stamp on each ?ethnic? knick-knack each person is trying to sell you the same exact thing. I like Bob Marley?s music a lot and was interested in seeing the place in which Reggae was born but the people totally abuse and exploit his image to the point that it?s not even magical anymore. Everywhere you look there?s somebody trying to sell you a Marley carved piece of wood or a factory replication of BOB marley?s first 3 note instrument. There are statues of him everywhere and if you ask me, its quite ridiculous. I do think he is a legend and even though Reggae is not my premier genre of choice, Marley does earn a place amongst the greatest. But these people pretty much praise him day and night---I don?t know if its because Jamaica has no other tourist influences or if they actually do worship him like a God. The persona of Marley is so industrialized over there that I was actually sick of hearing about him by the time I left. Kinda like my stomach turned or something. Whatever...Marley still rocks, just wish Jamaica would tone it down a little.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
Re: Jamaica kinda sucks how they Exploit Marley so much [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3785338 - 02/15/05 07:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what part of jamaica did you go to? Sounds like the tourist district

In mexico it's very similar with all the street vendors if you go to cancun or comzumel, but if you go to non touristy cities youd probably get a feel for the real country. Im sure jamaica is no different

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Jamaica kinda sucks how they Exploit Marley so much [Re: Pathos]
    #3785457 - 02/15/05 07:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Some places were worse then others...Like Ocho Rios was terrible..right when you got off the Duns falls----it was a battle to try and avoid the patron harassment. It really seemed like these people were desperate for money and I was quite surprised with how much they actually ask for there little trinkets....20 dollars for a 35 cent wooden bird. Montego Bay was kinda the same and Kingston was more of an active city with building actually over 1 story. I didnt really get deep into the countryside but the actual island is really beautiful, just the towns are slumps. I had 2 guys follow me into a clothing store just talking and then 5 minutes later, totally switch personalities and demand $20 for there services. What services I asK?...you followed me in here?...."No Mon you in Jamaica now and you waste our time". What a joke. Atleast I had some fellow tourists to blend in with but I wouldnt want to go into one of the towns alone. The black river wasnt so bad but every town I went into, it was the same pestering and slogan for me to buy something BOB Marley. I dont know----dont mean to rant on bout this but it jsut reminds me of a corparte Walmartation of a musical Genius---something I didnt want to see.

Edited by PsillyNilly (02/15/05 07:49 PM)

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3785525 - 02/15/05 08:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the corporate walmartation of the entire country was done by us, why do you think they're so poor. they're a puppet of our gov't, they aren't allowed to do what's best for the people, only what's good for our economy. i don't blame them, i'd fuck the tourists anyway i could as well.

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#3785543 - 02/15/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds Awful. :nonono:

Overall was it a good trip, besides the harassment ?

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3785566 - 02/15/05 08:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If they didn't sell all that crap most of them wouldn't have boxes to live in. I have never been to Jamaica, so I do not know first hand, but I have heard it is extremely poor and tourism is the only income.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3785575 - 02/15/05 08:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah those two guys were selling you time? thats bullshit. In europe, you have to deal with the gypsies and pick pockets. They will cut your back pack right off your back and run with it in paris.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Jamaica kinda sucks how they Exploit Marley so much [Re: Hendostan]
    #3785580 - 02/15/05 08:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Jamaica is an independant state....the only relation the US has with them is mutual. You obviosuly know more than I do regarding this subject but as far as I know, the US government doesnt impose any of our laws or policies on the Jamaicas. Tourism and rum are there only sources of income and if they keep this shit up, they're going to lose tourism all together and the country will be a complete slump. Exactly how is the US benefitting financially from Jamaica?

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3785616 - 02/15/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The trip wasnt a total disaster....I had some good times and there were a few chillers but relatively speaking, the people were flat down assholes and I for one will avoid there little ratraps if I ever do decide to visit again. You cant ask somebody a question like, "where is the nearest market" without them wanting something in return....In the States, people do ask for money but these guys were asking for $10, $15! just to tell me where the nearest general store was. Then I get pounded for wasting there fucking time? FUck that....what ever happened to laid back everythings gonna be all right Jamaica?

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3785682 - 02/15/05 08:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PsillyNilly said:
The trip wasnt a total disaster....I had some good times and there were a few chillers but relatively speaking, the people were flat down assholes and I for one will avoid there little ratraps if I ever do decide to visit again.  You cant ask somebody a question like, "where is the nearest market" without them wanting something in return....In the States, people do ask for money but these guys were asking for $10, $15! just to tell me where the nearest general store was.  Then I get pounded for wasting there fucking time?  FUck that....what ever happened to laid back everythings gonna be all right Jamaica?

eaten by the dollar?

thos kinds of situations need some martial arts no-hows :laugh:

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

Edited by Toricious (02/15/05 08:28 PM)

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3785694 - 02/15/05 08:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

true, they are an independent nation, but the U.S. has injected our ideology and definitely influenced the political landscape, mostly in the early 80's. a lot of it had to do with making sure they were on our "side" in being anti-cuba. hell, they made ganja illegal, you think they came up with that on their own? :smirk: bottom line, we are very infused into their society now, and it doesn't work for a tiny island based around crops the way it works for a gigantic nation based on industrialism and technology. we produce capital goods, they can barely produce enough consumption goods for their families. it works for a select few at the top, but they have no idea how to get their country out of the slums. i don't know if that makes sense...i need to brush up on my history..i do know i wouldn't blame them for being resentful towards americans.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3785851 - 02/15/05 08:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well blaming the US for the country being in the slums is kinda over the edge....if anything, we have helped them economically the same which applies for the Bahamas. I highly doubt a country like Jamaica would go communism....Cuba would'nt have gone communism if a strong persuasive Castro didnt come marching in there with a promising "revolutionary" jingle. Besides, even if they did decide to go communist and lose all American-European tourism, do you really think a country like Jamaica would have much of an effect? I dont know them from having much of an army. By the way, Mariguana was smoked everywhere, you can smell it threw the air in half of the places I went too so it's definately not enforced probably just because the authorities have bigger problems to try and control like crime and theft then a few guys gettin stoned. In Kinsgton, you can see there were working mothers and funtionable workingmen, but as a whole, poverty was extremely high. Im just saying, right now, the only thing Jamaica has going for them is tourism and the way people act over there is gonna drive that market away. These people drunk and glazed eyes screaming at you and laying in the middle of the street Im sure could find something more productive to do with their time.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#3785922 - 02/15/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

that they could, that they could. being born into poverty like that is, i'm sure nothing any of us can understand. i definitely am not trying to blame it all on america or politicize your thread :wink: so i'll keep the rest of my commentary to myself. it sucks it wasn't what you thought it would be. good to know people were smoking up though, my impression is that they have rather harsh laws against it.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3786094 - 02/15/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey man, I was down in Negril last year. Negril is the biggest tourist spot on the island. You have to understand that tourism is the main source of income for a lot of people on the island. It's their only real "export." Poverty is simply a way of life for Jamaicans so they'll want to get their hands on any money they can get.

I know how some of the people are, too. If they know you're a tourist (and if you're white you stick out like a sore thumb) they'll nag you to buy something or to get some "tip" for their services. The shady, rude, greedy people are a minority though. The Jamaicans will respect you if you respect them. To them it's about respect.

By the way, I can't believe you went to Kingston. I'd rather walk through Washington DC at night than through Kingston during the day. Bad place to be, crime-wise.

Offlinedigitalcube
would u likesome dolphinsafe tuna
 User Gallery

Loc: la
Re: Jamaica kinda sucks how they Exploit Marley so much [Re: moog]
    #3786185 - 02/15/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i lived in dc ...i remember they always had highway shootings but i must say new orleans is worse by far...drug/crime capitol here in louisiana..anyway my parents went to jamaica last year on a cruise and they said it was pretty bad there and the bob marley shit did get annoying...not sure what towns they went to..peace

--------------------

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3786195 - 02/15/05 09:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hendostan said:
that they could, that they could. being born into poverty like that is, i'm sure nothing any of us can understand. i definitely am not trying to blame it all on america or politicize your thread :wink: so i'll keep the rest of my commentary to myself. it sucks it wasn't what you thought it would be. good to know people were smoking up though, my impression is that they have rather harsh laws against it.

Well this thread isn?t really going anywhere so if you have some well-informed commentary regarding this, I would be interested to hear it.  I myself was not born into poverty but my father was and usually being born in a poor environment fuels ambition and stimulates the call for success.  I have a well paying job that helps me pay my way through school and even though it is hard work, it is nothing somebody can?t perform with a middle school education.  (they do have a public schooling system in Jamaica by the way)  There are still many Americans who are born into poverty as we speak and for the most part, these people get on there feet and start becoming more than a bum hitting the bottle every day.  I do have a subtle relationship with drugs myself but I wouldn?t if it affected my every day life in a negative way.  Jamaican society is kind of wrapped around this whole Bob Marley ideology actually thinking getting toked and listening to his tunes is gonna be constructive.  You would think Marley would have been inspiring to these people like it probably has for the most part but he has actually been the only good thing to come out of Jamaica since they gained independence from Great Britain in ?62?.  Since then, things haven?t been looking to bright from a civil perspective. 

---I am not passing this off as fact, just my opinion and quest for knowledge

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3786261 - 02/15/05 09:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I totally respected them...I particularly portray a respectful attitude when Im in a foreign coutry...but if disrespecting somebody is not giving them $20 for following me into a store, then I say thats a crock of shit. If a foregner came up to me in the states asking for help I wouldnt hesitate in offering my full assistance and certainly wouldnt even think about anything in return. Im just trying to say that if these people want there tourist market to continue, then this nagging attitude has to stop.

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #3786349 - 02/15/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

bob was all about making jamaica a better place. he did what he could to try to make their lives better.

if using his image, music, etc. gets the jamaican citizen more money to live on, i'm sure bob would be happy about this.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #3786454 - 02/15/05 10:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would go there anyway, is a nice tropical island, I wanna move there, is it legal to grow shrooms there too??? :eek:

Edited by skunk78395 (02/15/05 10:13 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3786478 - 02/15/05 10:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hendostan said:
the corporate walmartation of the entire country was done by us, why do you think they're so poor. they're a puppet of our gov't, they aren't allowed to do what's best for the people, only what's good for our economy. i don't blame them, i'd fuck the tourists anyway i could as well.

Yeah, Jamaica is pretty poverty stricken. You can't blame them for trying to make a buck...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates