Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Poetry?
    #3780809 - 02/14/05 09:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i don't know shit about it.

i've read one book of poetry, that is T. S. Eliots "The Waste Land.", liked it alot.

who are some good poets?

i've read some good poetry here at the shroomery, and I want to get more into it.

thanks.

:mushroom2:

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Poetry? [Re: JCoke]
    #3781444 - 02/14/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i like bukowski.

Offlinefacsimile
Stranger
    #3783899 - 02/15/05 02:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You started with a very, very good poet! I'm not even a native English-speaker (I'm from Finland...) but he's my favourite poet and writer. You really should read some more of his stuff, he has written so many great poems.

The "Waste Land" is one of his more difficult ones. The other important poems of his are "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" (This is his breakthrough poem), "Gerontion" (A bit difficult but worth looking at for some memorable lines), "The Hollow Men" (Kurtz reads this in Coppola's Apocalypse Now) and "Ash Wednesday" (from his religious period, but very good if you are not disturbed by the fact). His last great poem (or actually a series of four poems) is "Four Quartets", but that is the last thing I would look into, although it includes some of his best stuff.

BTW, Apocalypse Now also includes some lines from Prufrock and on Kurtz's desk there are two books that inspired "The Waste Land" (From Ritual to Romance, The Golden Bough)...

If you want to know something about the backgrounds of the poems (which in the case of Eliot is quite useful) a good buy would be B.C. Southam's Guide to the Selected Poems of T.S. Eliot. It has got A LOT of necessary information...

Eliot uses a lot of allusions to history and literature (The Waste Land starts with the famous ironic allusion to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) and stuff like that, but it is really not necessary to know all of it to enjoy the poems.

Recently I've read Conrad Aiken, here are some good ones from him: "Red is the Color of Blood", "This Image or Another", "Keep in the heart the journal nature keeps"...

Here's some lines from "Four Quartets", which must have something to do with Buddhism or something eastern, although I am not sure what Eliot had in mind:

Quote:

I said to my soul, be still, and let the dark come upon you
Which shall be the darkness of God. As, in a theatre,
The lights are extinguished, for the scene to be changed
With a hollow rumble of wings, with a movement of darkness on darkness,
And we know that the hills and the trees, the distant panorama
And the bold imposing facade are all being rolled away?
Or as, when an underground train, in the tube, stops too long between stations
And the conversation rises and slowly fades into silence
And you see behind every face the mental emptiness deepen
Leaving only the growing terror of nothing to think about;
Or when, under ether, the mind is conscious but conscious of nothing?
I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope
For hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love,
For love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith
But the faith and the love and the hope are all in the waiting.
Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought:
So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.

Edited by facsimile (02/15/05 02:43 PM)

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Poetry? [Re: facsimile]
    #3784584 - 02/15/05 05:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thanks facsimile, five :mushroom2: for you. :thumbup:

that was a good poem, thats the kind of stuff I like, just kinda suckd me into it's world, uncontrolable, love it. :thumbup:

and about bukowski, Idiotek, I have heard of him from a modest mouse song named after him (actuly, I think it was about him), gonna have to look him up.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

OfflineJon
    #3785074 - 02/15/05 06:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Jim Morrison

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3785088 - 02/15/05 06:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I love poetry. ah, the aesthetics of words :smile: Good stuff

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
    #3785144 - 02/15/05 06:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

cant spell poetry without Poe

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #3785585 - 02/15/05 08:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You should check out Carl Sandburg and William Butler Yeats next, you won't be disappointed.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Poetry? [Re: AislingGheal]
    #3786391 - 02/15/05 10:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ditto on the Yeats...

TS eliot was greatly influenced by Ezra Pound and other modernists (Pound actually edited "The Wasteland" and was as responsible for that poem as much as Eliot was. If your got a good library near you try finding a copy of the wasteland before Pound got his hands on it--way different and like twice as long as the published version...you might be able to find it on the net if you try)

I would definetly check out other modernists from that period if your into Eliot (early 20th century in America and western Europe) like ezra Pound, hemingway, EE cummings, W. H. Auden...

If you are looking for more of a connected poetry instead of the dreamy disconnectedness of modernists like eliot try some romantics like Wordsworth ("tintern abbey") or Blake ("songs of innocence and of experiance") from the early 1800s. Or a dylan thomas would be a more modern romantic. Good shit too but they go on and on but its still just as powerful.

I used to hate poetry but once it gets its hooks into you your addicted for life...

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlinefacsimile
Stranger
    #3789227 - 02/16/05 12:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

And now, a small survey for anyone reading this thread: Which poems do you know, or think you should know, from high school? What are the basic poems that EVERYONE knows/should know in America or England? Does not everyone of you know Keats's "Ode to a Nightingale"? Or Shelley's "Ode to the West Wind"? Or Blake's "The Sick Rose"... Or how about a person with a university education, then? Mention some poems you think 25% percent of your friends know at least by name, or something like that. And so on, you know what I mean. I'm interested because I'm an English major but live and have lived all my life in Finland (except for a year in Ohio), and here no one knows any of these guys (except Shakespeare, of course).

And then some more things that popped into my mind:

Of Eliot's poems, I forgot to mention "Portrait of a Lady". Also, "Rhapsody on a Windy Night" and "Preludes" (great early poems, the first being one of my favourites, which I have also translated to Finnish...) were combined into the lyrics of "Memory" in the musical Cats (all the other songs of which are, of course, directly taken from Eliot's cat poems for children). But I should mention that Cats has really nothing to do with Eliot's more serious stuff, and it's not worth too much time and energy to read it. I don't like it too much anymore.

Edited by facsimile (02/16/05 12:40 PM)

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#3791636 - 02/17/05 02:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

and here no one knows any of these guys (except Shakespeare, of course).

don't worry, nobody here does either...

The public high school I went to didn't teach poetry at all. I honestly don't think I read my first poem seriously until I dropped out of college (the first time). Here in the states a large percentage of people graduate HS without the literacy to fully understand any of those poems. I can't say I agree with that but I don't see how more poetry or literature could be implimented in this country's (USA) HS system due to a whole range of factors.

I'm also now am an english major(creative writing option) and a university education should include a little exposure to all those poems or poets of their stature. I couldn't say which one should or shouldn't be taught (it should be up to the profs) as long as a range of movements & theories are covered so people can see the many different ways people have used words to express themselves over the centuries and how the "tradition" (back to eliot again) of literature has grown and developed. Also I wish more translations from authors and poets of different languages and cultures would be included but for a basic university education not involved with liberal studies this kinda thing could hardly be implimented IMO.

As a concensus of my friends I don't think any of them could name a single poem or poet off the top of there head. Ok, maybe one or two. But I don't usually hang with very many english majors though--so many are spoiled, snot nosed, psuedo-intellectuals or aspiring 2nd grade teachers (babysitters).

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Edited by DirtMcgirt (02/17/05 03:10 AM)

Offlinewoleb
below
Loc: South Australia
Re: Poetry? [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3791719 - 02/17/05 03:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would definetely suggest any/all of the Beat Generation writers. Allen Ginsberg ("Howl", "America", "Sunflower Sutra", Jack Kerouac, William S Burroughs wrote prose but some poetry, Gregory Corso (Read "Marriage"), Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Phil Whalen, Gary Snyder... The list goes on. For all your Beat-related needs try http://www.rooknet.com/beatpage/. They're easily my favourite group of writers/poets.

Give Walt Whitman a shot, he greatly influenced a lot of Beats and was the first poet (I think) to use a free-verse structure. I like Roger McGough too, try and find "Warlock Poems", and lots of people seem to like Rod McKuen but I think he's a bit pretentious. Some of his writing's pretty good though, such as "A Cat Named Sloopy", from his book "Listen to the Warm".

Oscar Wilde is an underrated poet.

Edit - Oh! Bob Dylan! Lots of people go "Pfft, he's a musician" and don't take him seriously as a poet but his lyrics really are poetry and a very good example of it. Allen Ginsberg described him as one of the best poets of the century, or something. I probably got that quotation hideously wrong so I'll look it up and clarify. The point is that he's a great writer.

Edited by woleb (02/17/05 03:13 AM)

InvisibleMyInsanityTrip
Stranger

#3791853 - 02/17/05 04:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Emily DIckinson

she's all ....im NObody......etc

Offlinefacsimile
Stranger
Re: Poetry? [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3791965 - 02/17/05 05:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DirtMcgirt said:
Quote:

and here no one knows any of these guys (except Shakespeare, of course).

don't worry, nobody here does either...

That's what I thought. I can't say that we're the most literary minded country in the world, but since this is a small and relatively off-center country, with only a few major cities, there is a feeling that we're all buddies here, we do have a tendency to "stick together", a strong history of national romanticism, and so on, and thus our literary and cultural figures are quite well known here, even if usually people really don't know the content of the works. Also, the fact that Swedish was the language of administration and culture (and still is the second official language) Finnish-language literature has only a history of less than 150 years. What I'm saying is that we had a tendency to emphasise our capabilities and work really hard to get ourselves independent both economically and culturally. Of course, since independence 1917 Finland has quickly become one of the most developed industrial countries in the world, of the welfare state type (almost as good as that of Norway and Sweden) but until the collapse of the Soviet Union we had to be careful in our foreign policy not to piss of the eastern neighbor.

You're probably not interested to work through the Finnish national epic Kalevala (which inspired Tolkien's language in The Lord of the Rings, and the metre of which was used in Longfellow's Hiawatha), but it's worth checking out two of the important modernists, Pentti Saarikoski (a hell of a character) and Paavo Haavikko (a true renaissance man... very prolific but get a "best of" collection!). I believe Saarikoski is not very much translated, but Haavikko you might be able to find.

Also, if you want to check out the one poem every Finn knows, try to find Eino Leino's "Nocturne".

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#3804817 - 02/19/05 09:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet, I'll try to find those. Thanks! 5 shrooms for you Finlander!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder