Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
Re: Growing [Re: Knight_Templar]
    #3723864 - 02/03/05 08:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Something like half perlite and half soil. Try not to use a very rich, dark topsoil, either. Dry dirt.
Did you read anywhere that they ever make some sort of drink from
Thuja occidentalis? This is white cedar, or, Arborvitae. That would be very interesting.
Find the Artemisia growing in your area. The difference is like choosing between Cannabis Sativa and Canabis Indica... it's all the same stuff.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
Make Your Own Absinthe [Re: Knight_Templar]
    #3735155 - 02/05/05 12:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There seems to be an obsession with reproducing "historically accurate" absinthe, exactly the way the French made it in the 19th Century. This is fine, if that's what you want to do, but, the French did not invent absinthe. Drinks based on Wormwood had been developed throughout the world long before the French had any idea what absinthe was.
I believe that anyone going to the trouble of distilling Wormwood should feel free to make whatever type of absinthe they wish. Many people don't like the taste of anise, so, I leave this out. These different flavorings are used only to mask the bitter taste of the Wormwood. If you like a mint-based drink rather than an anise-based drink, then, you shouldn't let absinthe "purists" discourage you from doing this. If you mix the distillate with water at 1:3, then, you can add the flavoring components to the water. You can make 3 liters of a mint/herbal tea and add your 1 liter of distillate; or, you can add whatever you wish to the extract and distill it through with the wormwood. There are no "rules" for making absinthe. I make whatever I think tastes good. People who make beer and wine use their imaginations to create unique beverages which suit their tastes. My suggestion is not to be swayed by absinthe "snobs" who tend to pop-up at forums like this, and to make whatever you like to drink.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: neuro]
    #3736131 - 02/05/05 04:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Neuro, if SWIM has about 18 grams of ground wormwood, what can he do with it???

He started with an once at one point and then after not getting results from the various teas(someone told him tea would work) , and shitty iso extracts(that were eaten :tongue: , he put it on hold.

If Swim mixes the wormwood with a high percentage alcohol and makes a basic tincture(making the tincture as strong as possible through evaporation etc), could he drink it, and get some effects???

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3742545 - 02/06/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

BUMP

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3742569 - 02/06/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, for the lateness, I've been out of town for the weekend, and went on a little chemical journey last night, so any free time i would have had to read the forums, i spent talking with other travellers and looking at pictures and listening to music and what not.

If you have 18grams of ground wormwood you can use that in a little more than half a liter of grain alcohol to extract, and then add some flavoring herbs, anisette, lemon balm, coriander etc to make a home made tailored absinthe recipe.

Tea (with water) won't work.

I wouldn't steep wormwood and make a concentrated tincture, it's VERY strong and can have quite toxic effects.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3770532 - 02/12/05 10:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Spudamore,
Have you fired-up that new still?
If you got it on the internet, what was the website?
Beautiful piece of equipment!!

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: Knight_Templar]
    #3771891 - 02/12/05 06:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nope not yet, on teausday i am i have to washes ready to go, about 20ltrs of 43% alcohol or half that about 95%. still have to buy a z-filter, alco-meter, flavourings, and some extra carbon. i brought it from the local brew shop, but there is a website that you can buy it from only to certain countries not including america and canada.

http://stillspirits.com/wawcs016156/distilling_equipment.html

there is a site in u.s but only sells the column

http://www.home-distilling.com/HD_PDA-1.asp

could try a New Zealand shop but they don't take any responsibility if it get seized through customs.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Edited by spudamore (02/12/05 07:19 PM)

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3780714 - 02/14/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

just been down to the brew shop and they sell absinthe essence for $8.90au thought you might be interested don't know if its the same or just the flavour.

--------------------

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: spudamore]
    #3825163 - 02/23/05 10:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The "Absinthe Essence" sounds like a rip-off. Yeah, it probably has wormwood in it, but, you do need a good quantity to make 10L of distillate. What's with the filters, "alco-meter" and carbon? Sounds like a lot of extra money for things that aren't really necessary.
Ideally, a good vacuum filter would be nice for filtering the extract, but, after that, you don't really need any filtration. To test a-hol content, I just put a few drops on a sheet of glass and light it up: see how much water remains. That gives you a good rough estimate. Besides, you're only interested in extracting Thujone, not making pure alcohol. Just trying to keep things on the simple side, because, that's how I've always done it.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3825471 - 02/23/05 11:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

alco meter = measure alcohol content, z-filter to filter out all the nasty alcohols and the carbon goes in the z-filter. only need to buy them once except for carbon which is cheap.
that absinthe was only flavouring tujone free, bit of a bummer.
finally fired up the still over a week ago went excellent better than the last still. more effecient - less water - heats up faster - distills quicker than normal. i had over 20ltrs of 43% sitting there but came out at 10ltrs at 85%.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: spudamore]
    #3826441 - 02/24/05 07:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There's an essence kit for 15$ that contains flavoring and wormwood concentrate. Normally I don't care about the no sources rule, but I won't publicly post the name of this supplier.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3832342 - 02/25/05 09:55 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent. Just remember that it's the Thujone you're after.
Try to monitor where in the process you are getting your best results for this: it's all that matters.

InvisibleHangnail
Teo Torriatte

Loc: Over at the Frankenstein ...
    #3861618 - 03/03/05 08:56 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Here's a link to one of those so called "snobs"

connoisseur might be a better word considering what it's cost him (and his liver & kidneys) to get to this point of snobdom.

Absinthe Snob

Quote:

Sebor Absinth
Czech Republic, 55% alc. vol. (110 proof), 0.5 liter
A long time ago, I had some Sebor. At the time I remembered thinking it was atleast the better one of the Czech absinths and could be drinkable. I should never have gone back.

Even though it actually is better than any of the others, it doesn't mean it's drinkable. It could be used as a mixer maybe, but I personally wouldn't use it at all. I managed to make myself drink half the glass, as opposed to the other ones, that I just poured right down the zink after the first sip. But no. This is not good. It's not even half good. No more czech for me, ever.

--------------------
tonight you'll fall asleep in clothes-so late like a candy bar wrapped up for lunch that's all you get to taste
poverty and spit
poverty and spit

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
Re: Makin' Absinthe [Re: Hangnail]
    #3882378 - 03/07/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

If you're going to the trouble of distilling your own absinthe, I think you should make it taste however you wish. Most people do NOT like the taste of anise. I couldn't care less about "traditional absinthes." They all taste like anise. Big deal. I would much rather mix the distillate with cranberry juice, about 1:2.5
It covers-up the nasty taste of the wormwood pretty well, and, it's already sweetened.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3885216 - 03/07/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

If it's distilled it's not needed to cover up the taste of any bitterness from the wormwood.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3905244 - 03/11/05 10:44 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Distillate of Wormwood has a very definite taste. If you like this taste, then, that's fine. I have done shots of straight distillate, as well as distillate mixed with varying amounts of water, and, frankly, the taste is not very pleasant. The drink is much improved by flavoring it with something, and, after trying a wide variety of mixes, I have settled on cranberry juice. It's tart and has just the right amount of sweetness. This is simply my personal preference, and, I am suggesting it for people who find straight distillate unpalatable and are not crazy about the traditional choice of anise.
Try it... you might like it. :smile:

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3907545 - 03/12/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

The distillate is what comes out of the condenser. It is no where near bitter, but has a distinct flavor which isn't near as putrid as what it was before it was distilled. What's left in the flask in the distilling apparatus is mainly the compounds that contribute to the bitterness. This is what i'm referring to when I talk about removing the bitter taste - the residue left in the flask after distillation is complete.

I don't like cranberry juice.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3908104 - 03/12/05 04:19 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Well... of course, undistilled extract is simply undrinkable, and is extremely bitter. Unflavored extract of wormwood is not too appealing, and, I haven't met anyone yet who enjoys drinking it that way. So, instead of using the word "bitter" to describe the simple distillate, I'll say it tastes like "crap," and, you really need to add something to it.
Again, I am not talking about the traditional recipe of anise, hyssop, calamis, etc. I do not do that anymore. I am talking about simply flavoring the distilled extract of wormwood.
You don't like cranberry juice... fine. Whatever.
I'm just discussing alternatives to anise-flavoring.

Edited by Knight_Templar (03/12/05 04:54 PM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#3908505 - 03/12/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

I see what you mean, but simply what i'm saying is, calling it bitter or nasty or even crap would lead people to believe that distilling it is ineffective, which upon experiment one finds out simply is not true, distilling is quite effective. What it does produce, and you are correct to describe it as such, is an unflavored alcohol extract of wormwood. Which should be flavored otherwise really why would anyone want to drink it anyway. I'm simply trying to sort out the terms and produce the correct ideas about the product by those terms. That's all. Cranberry juice to me is nasty, but if you like it all the better. There's nothing wrong with exploring alternative flavorings to the extract.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3915792 - 03/14/05 10:36 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Mint is a good alternative to anise.
Have tried this, and, it's not bad.
Distilling is essential, of course. I always recommend distilling TWICE.
Makes a big difference.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds