Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Absinthe Preparation from Kit
    #3985719 - 03/29/05 04:04 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list "sources" in here, but I purchased a ABSINTHEKIT from an ORGinzation on the internet. The kit came as two sealed bags, one labelled "wormwood", the other labelled "flavoring". Following the instructions I poured the wormwood into a 750mL bottle of EtOH (everclear).
{edit} - Got the OK for the source listing, www.absinthekits.org I strongly recommend them to anyone.

Thats the wormwood, not all of it, I didn't think to take pictures until I had loaded some into the everclear.

This is the everclear just after the wormwood was added. The color barely changed at all at this point, but it was a light green shade. The instructions said to let it soak for a week or so in a warm place but I figured that a hot water bath would get the extraction done in a few hours.

Those are some pictures of the everclear after I peeled the label off. I did a simple hot water bath for about 15 minutes to losen the label so I could see exactly what was going on in the bottle.

This is the bottle in the hot water bath for about 15 minutes. I managed to peel all of the labels off so that I can see whats going on better.

The pictures above this are the absinthe after they were allowed to reflux for 2 hours. Just a hot water bath, not hot enough that the everclear boiled.

After the reflux was done, I poured the material through a wire mesh coffee filter three times and disposed of all of the solid material.

Thats the liquid minus all of the powder.
Now I'm at my pic upload limit for a while, so I'll get the rest of the pics in later on. Here is the final picture I have for now, it's the liquid with the flavoring added. More to come! Currently I'm heating the absinthe in a hot water bath. More to come! Should be able to dose tonight and see what I think of it.

I also added some Bacardi 151 to increase the volume of the solvent.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Edited by SoopaX (03/29/05 09:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Absinthe Preparation from Kit [Re: SoopaX]
    #3986719 - 03/29/05 09:04 PM (12 years, 1 day ago)

that's an interesting way to speed up the maceration time, however I think it might add more bitters to solution through increased solubility of warmer solvent to not so soluble bitters at room temp.

That finished wormwood alcohol sure is dark.

Is there a way to get a picture with a light shining through the bottle?

The site is www.absinthekits.org not absinthekit.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden