Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Book recomendations?
    #3765234 -

I'm in a debate class right now and thinking of having legalization as my final project. I've been looking for good books on drug legalization in the US and most of the ones I find are pretty out of date. Does anybody have any recommendations for up-to-date books which present a balanced view of the arguments are and not too heavy for a layperson to understand? I don't have an extensive knowledge of drug law. I'm mostly interested in marijuana legalization, and shrooms of course, but also drugs in general. Thanks in advance.


--------------------
Future events such as these will affect you in the future...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Holly]
    #3765614 -

Marijuana legalization has been done so many times, try to find a more original topic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: newuser1492]
    #3765647 -

'The Emperor Wears No Clothes: The Authoritative Historical Record of Cannabis and the Conspiracy Against Marijuana'

by Jack Herer


--------------------
lucidal expansion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: butterflydawn]
    #3766201 -

that book just says what dumb gullible potheads want to hear:  that hemp would magically save the world :rolleyes:


i would agree with cb9fl, if its the main project for the class, choose something more original than marijuana legalization.  if not, there are tons of sources, just use google, but keep in mind you're going to be fed a lot of bias, so try to get written references from the internet sources' bibliography.


--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Tao]
    #3766667 -

didn't read the book,
just know it is about that subject


--------------------
lucidal expansion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Tao]
    #3767081 -

Quote:
that book just says what dumb gullible potheads want to hear: that hemp would magically save the world





Does it really say that? Or does it just say that the US is missing out on massive revenue by prohibiting hemp in all its forms?

Is it full of lies? Have you checked those who discredit it? just wonderin!  :smile:


--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Holly]
    #3767786 -

Waiting to Exhale is a great University-level book detailing the fight for medical marijuana in California and around the rest of the US. It can get a little dry at times, but for the most part it is an excellent read.


--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Holly]
    #3768344 -

Legalizing pot has to happen before any other drug gets on the docket. I don't think it is a bad issue at all. I am surprised that this forum doesn't do more legalization stuff.

I would like to read the best book available on legalization and the pros and cons on our war on drugs. You would think someone here has an idea of some great resources.

Holly, I posted an interview with Milton Friedman awhile back, and the topic was the War on Drugs.

The link is right here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3496581/page//fpart/1/vc/1

I think he has an excellent take on the subject, and I recommend that you read it. Milton is the King.


--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3769240 -

Well, I'm interested in the subject regardless of what I end up doing my project on, so I do appreciate the recs. I'm not sure where I stand, exactly, I'm just trying to get information on all sides of the issue so I can make up my mind. Right now I'm stuck between "legalize everything" and "Just the soft drugs." No idea where I'll end up.


--------------------
Future events such as these will affect you in the future...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3769535 -

yea Milton Friedman is the man.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3770236 -

yeah that friedman article is one of the best. and it definately helps a fuck of a lot that it comes out of the mouth of Milton Friedman instead of 'jack herer'


oh and to Gazzbut: has that book had any scholarly or academic review at all?


--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Holly]
    #3770278 -

oh yeah and look at pbs.org's frontline episode called "Snitch" they have other info there too.


--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Tao]
    #3770375 -

Quote:
oh and to Gazzbut: has that book had any scholarly or academic review at all?



You cant answer a question with a question...your not an aspiring politician are you Tao?  :smile:

Anyway, are you saying that anything without scholarly or academic review has no value??


--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Book recomendations? [Re: Holly]
    #3770457 -

As far as the arguments for drug legalization, I don't think they go out of date (except for newer statistics).  With that in mind, here are a couple of books that can help build a case.

Myths That Cause Crime by Harlod E. Pepinsky & Paul Jesilow

INTOXICATION: LIFE IN PURSUIT OF ARTIFICIAL PARADISE by Ronald K. Siegel, Ph.D.


--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Book recomendation shroommachine 374 1 01/06/05 02:11 AM
by shroommachine
* Milton Friedman on the Drug War
( 1 2 all )
JesusChrist 2,630 32 12/15/04 07:48 PM
by EonTan
* The First Law of Petropolitics (Thomas Friedman) Redstorm 2,091 9 05/22/06 12:41 AM
by Alex213
* Milton Friedman's "Free To Choose"
( 1 2 3 all )
trendalM 2,715 45 01/02/06 01:00 AM
by MisterMyco
* Can Somebody Recommend Me a Good Conservative Book?
( 1 2 all )
Divided_Sky 2,598 20 12/15/05 10:37 PM
by toratiger
* Good books on foreign affairs/policy? Silversoul 666 4 08/23/05 02:51 AM
by MagicalMystery
* Milton Friedman: Legalize It! JesusChrist 680 5 06/06/05 06:02 AM
by GazzBut
* Nuke London and Washington
( 1 2 all )
Armageddon 3,110 32 01/18/05 04:34 PM
by Armageddon

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
791 topic views. 0 members, 13 guests and 108 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.