Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Anybody here go to trade school?
    #3758428 -

How did it work out for you? Do you have a good job or is your degree worthless? Anybody currently enrolled in trade school? What is it like?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3761713 -

BUMP

Id like to know this as well since its part of my plan for moving to canada.


--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3761723 -

define "trade school"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: Turd]
    #3761741 -

trade schools are the ITTs, NITs, Career Institutes, that sort of thing


--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: blaze2]
    #3761757 -

I went to a small school called Digipen that specialized in programming and art for the video game industry.... does that count?

Anyway, my degree is very useful, and it may very well get me a job in canada (3d artists are few and far between, so its not hard to get that skilled worker's permit)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: blaze2]
    #3761829 -

I went to a 2 year graphic design tech school and I am having a hell of a time finding a job. Not that my degree is meaningless...there are just no jobs. The market is saturated with out of work designers. Pick your major WISELY, do some research into what jobs are projected to be necessary in the next 5-10 years and build your education around that. Or, if tech school is really what you want to do, and you're following some passion, then go for it. I don't know how other tech schools work, but at the one I went to, I ended up with just as many credit hours as someone with a 4 year degree and feel like I learned a great deal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: adrug]
    #3762044 -

adrug said:
I went to a 2 year graphic design tech school and I am having a hell of a time finding a job. Not that my degree is meaningless...there are just no jobs. The market is saturated with out of work designers. Pick your major WISELY, do some research into what jobs are projected to be necessary in the next 5-10 years and build your education around that. Or, if tech school is really what you want to do, and you're following some passion, then go for it. I don't know how other tech schools work, but at the one I went to, I ended up with just as many credit hours as someone with a 4 year degree and feel like I learned a great deal.



Do you feel you learned more of what you wanted to learn as opposed to having irrelevant classes pushed on you by a school that offers a 4 year degree?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: nonoman]
    #3762075 -

/me raises hand .... I'm going to a tech/trade school and alreadyu have a job lined up making about 75 grand a year. No it is not worthless, or atleast I don't think it is.


--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: JettaJay]
    #3762114 -

What are you going to school for?

Im thinking about going back to school. I just dont know what to go for!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: niteowl]
    #3762142 -

niteowl said:
What are you going to school for?

Im thinking about going back to school. I just dont know what to go for!!!!




HVAC ... am also taking some programming classes so I may be of help if anyone needs me


--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: adrug]
    #3762254 -

Im going to a tech school and im majoring in computer science. in particular oracle and database programming.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: nonoman]
    #3762445 -

Absolutely.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: JettaJay]
    #3762668 -

Quote:
JettaJay said:HVAC ... am also taking some programming classes so I may be of help if anyone needs me



I may just take you up on that in the near future, bud.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: adrug]
    #3762679 -

After watching my wife take all kinds of crap she wasn't interested in to get her BA in art, that's the viewpoint I had, too.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3762742 -

RandalFlagg said:
How did it work out for you? Do you have a good job or is your degree worthless? Anybody currently enrolled in trade school? What is it like?



I went to a trade school...many many years ago.
Home heating(furnace)oil and gas, water heaters(gas) and boilers.

Got a great job right after I got out of the school.
The school called me up and told me that this company was looking for a boiler tech.
Went in for an interview with the company and was hired on the spot.

I worked there for 11 years.
I was promoted several times over those years.
From being a boiler tech to being the shop forman.
Then from shop forman to working in Management in the office.

The education wasn't real expensive.
And I made really good money...right out of school.


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: Turd]
    #3762811 -


define "trade school"

Any non-university school. Anything from graphical design school, to welding school, to electronics school, etc..etc..etc..

"Technical" school.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: nonoman]
    #3762839 -


After watching my wife take all kinds of crap she wasn't interested in to get her BA in art, that's the viewpoint I had, too.

Exactly! I went to a normal university for 2 years. I had to take so much shit I was not interested in and that had nothing to do with my major. Everybody I know who went to technical school has a really good job. Everybody I know who got a normal four year university degree still lives with their parents.

Technical school cuts through all the useless shit and gets right to what you need to know. And it does it much quicker than a normal university.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3762925 -

well its always nice to hear some sucess stories. Peace

blaze2


--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3763257 -

Yea,

im a 3rd year machinist currently getting my hours so i can back for 4th year, im making $22.50/hr CDN and will probably be close to 30 when im a journeyman  :cool:.  i dont know much about trades in the states but up here especially in alberta trades are booming  :thumbup: i could get a job at another shop within a week if i wanted to.  Im speaking more of mechanical trades though: machinist, millwright, welder, pipefitter, instrumentation tech, power engineer, etc etc.


--------------------
I used to get high on life, but then I built up a tolerance.

~~~~Got Wake Bitches?~~~~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anybody here go to trade school? [Re: Puke]
    #3763802 -


im making $22.50/hr CDN

So what's that in American?  5 bucks or so?  :lol:

Just kidding...actually Canadian dollars have gained in value against American dollars as of late.

Could you detail how long you had to train to get your job?  How much did it cost?  What did you have to go through?  Do you like your job?  What does your job entail?  Are you glad you went down this path?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Christian Bale in 'The Machinist' ToTheSummit 623 3 06/14/05 09:44 PM
by Noetical
* Don't go to a technical or trade school RandalFlagg 1,004 16 06/10/07 07:29 PM
by Brainiac
* Randalflagg vs. Bank Trust Fund Assholes
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 3,228 35 10/05/05 08:53 PM
by RandalFlagg
* Anyone Interested in Trading? BigDadyCocanut 743 17 09/26/05 12:17 AM
by trendal
* Trying to find a degree program.. help? Drink_Punk_Soda 1,105 7 10/06/05 07:36 PM
by Vvellum
* I need randalflagg!
( 1 2 3 all )
Captain Loafy McPoopdick 5,110 50 09/24/05 12:11 AM
by Tranceharper
* Any other machinists out there?
( 1 2 all )
werDehT 2,108 34 03/23/12 06:10 PM
by werDehT
* The Machinist
( 1 2 all )
The Vapor 3,458 27 09/10/11 06:01 AM
by in the freezer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,844 topic views. 0 members, 26 guests and 179 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.